Football Programmes Centre

May 2016
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
May 2016
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KJD

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 12:42 am 
Post subject:

10 May 1992 and a Sunday morning blue & white exodus down an otherwise very quiet A12 for the U's first ever trip to Wembley.

The U's travel club had run numerous trips to Wembley for England games over the years and a lot of U's supporters went when Sudbury made the Vase final. I'd always refused saying I wanted to see the U's there first and there were a few regular away travellers saying they wish they'd done the same when it finally happened.

The teamsheet is a later acquisition

This is one of the seasons I was contributing to the programme and in search of a novel way to mark the historic occasion my column became a straightforward list of every ground I could remember or work out I'd been to. There's a few spelling mistakes in the translation from my handwritten original copy to the printed copy but surprisingly I can still work out whose every ground was.

There was also the 36 page souvenir brochure, with the squad photos autographed on pre-ordered copies

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 1:56 pm 
Post subject:

During 1987, Bloomfield Road hosted a number of Fylde Falcons matches who were an American Football side.

This one was against the Newcastle Senators in the Budweiser American Football League.

The programme is 16 pages with plenty of content and photographs.

Ruud Van Driver

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 6:42 pm 
Post subject:

10th May 1967

West Riding Senior Cup Semi-Final

Halifax Town 2 Leeds United 0

Two goals from Taylor and Leeds were out. Rumour has it that Leeds 'threw' the tie due to fixture congestion, and if you believe that you'll believe that this single sheet printed on both sides is in mint condition Smile

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 12:34 am 
Post subject:

Wednesday 11th May 1977

Football League, Division III

Att: 18,451

Wrexham 2 (Lyons, G Whittle), Crystal Palace 4 (Perrin, Swindlehurst, Harkouk, Bourne)

To say this was a momentous occasion is to belittle it. I'll set the scene. Here's the top of the League table as play commenced:-

Mansfield & Brighton - just about promoted. In the featured game, a win for Wrexham promotes them. A draw also promotes them. A 1 goal win for Palace takes them above Wrexham but with 1 game still to play (at home v Mansfield on the following Saturday) a draw then would be enough to take them up at Palace's expense. A 2 goal win for Palace tonight would mean that Wrexham have to win that last game. Clear? Read on....

So a packed crowd witnessed a huge match and what a game it was! Palace scored either side of half-time to go 2-0 up, but the Welshmen were a good side and back they came to level at 2-2. As the game reached 90 minutes Wrexham were up and Palace were done for. But in injury time suddenly Palace got a corner. Over it came and it was half cleared to Rachid Harkouk, on the edge of the box and with his back to goal. He looped it over his head and over a packed penalty area and it dipped in just under the bar. Pandemonium! 3-2 to Palace - now Palace were third but a draw for Wrexham on Sat and they went up. Then almost from the restart, Harkouk wins it in midfield and slips a through ball to Jeff Bourne who races away and buries it into the corner. Unbelievable - 4-2 to Palace - so now Wrexham had to win that last game. What scenes at the Racecourse! I can still see now rookie keeper Pater Caswell and Phil "Noddy" Holder climbing up the perimeter fence to get near the travelling throng, who were delirious. Well, I was, anyway. And here I am, 39 years later and now aged 60, tingling as I write this report.

Here are the 2 Palace injury time heroes - Rachid "Spider" Harkouk and Jeff Bourne.

And what of the following Saturday - Wrexham v Mansfield? Well, good old Ernie Moss struck and the Stags won 1-0. Poor old Wrexham didn't make it, they didn't even finish fourth as Rotherham won their last 2 games 3-0 and 4-1 to finish on 59 points - same as Palace but with GD 25 against our GD 28. Mansfield were top on 65pts, Brighton second on 61.

What a season that was - and it was our last in Div III, as I write.

I got home just in time to get up and go to work. I was still euphoric and to be honest, I still am.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 12:59 am 
Post subject:

Friday 11th May 1979 - 2 years later - same date.

Football League, Division II

Att: a ground record 51,482 (officially)

Crystal Palace 2 (Walsh, Swindlehurst), Burnley 0

This was the last game at the top of the Div II table - this is how it stood as play commenced.

So in this final game, a draw for Palace would promote us ahead of Sunderland but we'd be third on GD level with Brighton & Stoke. A win would make us Champions. It was truly heaving at Selhurst Park, I've not experienced anything like it before or since. 60,000 probably, not 51. Anyway, it was a tense encounter but in the 78th minute a Vince Hilaire cross was spectacularly headed home by a diving Ian Walsh. 10 minutes later Dave Swindlehurst's deflected drive made it 2-0. We were up - as Champions - our first Championship success since 1921. Crowd scenes and a night to remember for ever.

The two goal heroes, Ian Walsh and Dave Swindlehurst:-

To get 2 nights like this in 2 years is incredible. They don't come round very often, Palace have had a fair few promotions in our time, usually hotly pursued by relegations! But these are the experiences that live with you forever. And experiences that the likes of Arsenal and Manchester United will never have. Who are the lucky ones? I know that answer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
AberdeenBob

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 10:32 am 
Post subject:

11th of May 1983. The greatest day in Aberdeen's history. European Cup Winners Cup Final, Aberdeen 2-1 Real Madrid. I'm sure everyone has seen the programme covers but it's just such a remarkable day, I couldn't let it pass without a mention. COYR Thumbs Up

hydemaine

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 11:05 am 
Post subject:

City v Charlton 11th May 1985

One of our numerous promotion matches back to the top flight.

When other fans sing 'where were you when you were shite?' well here we were.. Maine Road official attendance 55k but I was there and it was more like 65k because you could pay on the turnstile back then and they just kept on packing us in.

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 11:13 am 
Post subject:

67 years ago (1948/9 season) and a benefit match for Tommy Walker between Distillery and Blackpool played at Grosvenor Park in Belfast.

The programme is a large size 16 page issue and is one of Blackpool’s rarer post war away issues.

Distillery strengthened their team with some guest appearances but Blackpool won 2-0 with goals from Fenton and Rickett.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 11:16 pm 
Post subject:

Last game of the 84/85 season.

Newport 1
Derby 3 (Trevor Christie, Bobby Davison, Graeme Harbey)

att: 4,003

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 12:30 am 
Post subject:

Thursday 12th May 1966

Floodlit Friendly

Att: "disappointing"

Crystal Palace 4 (Kember 2, Stephenson, Sewell), Stoke City 0

Our visitors

"The Duke", John Sewell (who, in scoring, made his record -1 for the season nett - according to Bert Head in the next programme)

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 12:09 pm 
Post subject:

79 years ago (1937) and Bloomfield Road hosted a series of events involving school children as part of the Coronation celebrations for King George VI.

The events included fancy dress parades, various sports, relay races, physical training display, songs by massed choirs, display of national dances in costume, a civic ceremony, and as part of the finale, a living Union Jack comprising over 1000 children from local schools.

A lot more entertaining I would imagine than some of the Saturday afternoons at Bloomfield Road this season.

The programme is a 4 page card type issue.

Ruud Van Driver

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:37 pm 
Post subject:

54 years ago

Stratford Cup

Chesham United v Hounslow Town

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 10:57 pm 
Post subject:

12 May 1962
Anglo-French Friendship Cup (2nd leg)

Large-size 16 page programme issued. Plenty to read as long as you're fluent in French.

Not sure of the score in this game - Derby won the first leg 1-0 but I think lost this tie and the trophy.

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:39 am 
Post subject:

Friday 13th May 1977

FA Youth Cup Final (2nd leg)

Att: can't find it

Crystal Palace 1 (Fenwick), Everton 0 (agg 1-0)

Cover shows action from the semi final v Spurs, which Palace won 8-0 on aggregate (2-0 at home, 6-0 away). Here's more below - Steve Lovell and Vince Hilaire against Chris Hughton & Micky Hazard. 8-0 - I ask yer!

Sadly I don't have any action photos from either leg of this Everton final, so the best I can do is one of the Palace scorer, Terry Fenwick - who incidentally repeated the trick in the next season's final.

It's also worth mentioning, in these days of prima donna youth players, that Palace's Kenny Sansom played 90 minutes in the momentous Wrexham match on Weds 11th, and 90 minutes here 48 hours later. It's safe to say that he was Man-of-the-Match both times.

Kenny Sansom aged about 16

littlewiggy

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 1:56 am 
Post subject:

derby1884 wrote:
Last game of the 84/85 season.

Newport 1
Derby 3 (Trevor Christie, Bobby Davison, Graeme Harbey)

att: 4,003

I was one of the 4,003 Steve.
The Derby masses (about 2,000) had the entire Cromwell End, and we were stood on the terraced 'bob' bank next next to it, separated only by those temporary steel fences with feet on them and about two coppers.

After we'd taunted your lot with "Where's Your Famous DLF?" one time to many, I ran like the wind when they all came piling over after us.

Always remember the day for hearing rumours circulating on the terrace about the awful Bradford fire disaster that was occurring.

The legendary Tony Kellow was our goalscorer, an 88th minute header with the rampant Rams already leading 0-3.
Even though it had been 0-0 at h/time, Derby absolutely tore us apart second-half, with Christie (70, pen), Davison 75, and Harbey (84) doing the damage.

Here's a couple of press cuttings ...

Here's a 'Pete' Press Photo of Harbey scoring your third ...

Ruud Van Driver

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:42 pm 
Post subject:

13th May 1966

West Riding Cup Semi-Final

Leeds United 2 Huddersfield Town 1

Collins and Smith for Leeds, through to the Final 20/5

Single sheet printed on one side only

13th May 1967 - Division 1

Sunderland 0 Leeds United 2

Gray & Lorimer with the goals in front of 23,686

13th May 1989 - Division 2

Shrewsbury Town 3 Leeds United 3

Final game of the season and just 4,693 there to see it. Strachan (2) and Rennie provided relief for Leeds. We finished 10th, Shrewsbury finished 22nd and were relegated, even a win in this game wouldn't save them. Mickey Thomas duly left Shrewsbury and played for us the following season

Dinky

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 10:20 pm 
Post subject:

13th May 1963
0-0 both teams finished mid table with 40 points

13 May 1974

Liverpool 1 (Tynan) Celtic 4 (Charlton, Davidson, Lennox and Hood) att 29000
Bobby Charlton guest player for Celtic
yachtsmun

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 10:35 pm 
Post subject:

13/05/50 Southampton 'A' v Cowes (Hampshire Senior Cup Final @ The Dell)

Think the score was 1-0 to the Saints, but am away from my records at the moment, and my memory has been known to fail me before now...

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 1:40 am 
Post subject:

14th May 1985

Surrey Charity Shield

Att: ?

Crystal Palace 0, Sutton United 4 (McKinnon 3, Tutt)

Cover shows Palace skipper Jim Cannon, Player of the Year again in that season, having held off fierce competition from legendary leading scorer Trevor Aylott with keeper George Wood in third place. None of this trio featured in the match shown here, although apparently 6 players with first team experience did. Other than hat-trick hero Paul McKinnon, United included a few players who 3 years later starred in the famous FA Cup victory over Coventry, Nigel Golley and Tony Rains among them.

Nigel Golley

As they're my really local club, I should mention Sutton's brilliant achievement this season, when they reeled off a 26-match unbeaten run to overhaul Ebbsfleet and finish top of the National League South, a reward for their patience with boss Paul Dodswell who has been in charge at Gander Green Lane since 2008. So now United find themselves in the National League proper, their first time at that level since 1999-2000. It's a very different place now, with so many ex-league clubs fighting to regain their League status. It should be an interesting season at GGL. Well done, the U's. Easy
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 11:38 am 
Post subject:

65 years ago (1950/1 season) and Blackpool’s 2nd Festival of Britain match, this time against the French side Stade Rennais.

The programme is just a single sheet.

Blackpool won 3-0 with goals from Mudie, Mortensen and a Shimwell penalty.

| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: