Football Programmes Centre

May 2016
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
May 2016
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 2:10 am 
Post subject:

5th May 1959

Evening Standard London 5-a-side Championship

Cover shows action from the previous season's final, Orient v Palace, of which more tomorrow. The 1959 tournament was won by Palace who beat Charlton 4-1 in the final. With 5 goals in the competition, once again Johnny Byrne was the star performer in a format of the game perfect for his skills and speed of thought and movement, seeing off Spurs and Arsenal en route to the final.

Team line-ups and match chart follow:-

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:15 am 
Post subject:

71 years ago (1944/5 season) and a Football League Northern Section 2nd Competition between Blackpool and Preston North End.

The programme is the standard 4 page wartime issue with team line ups across the centre pages and an advert for RHO Hills on the back page.

This was the 5th match of the season against Preston (with another encounter due the following week) and ended in a resounding win for the Seasiders by 8 goals to 1.

Farrow 4, O’Donnell H. 3 and Slater bagged the goals with Hough replying for Preston.

Ruud Van Driver

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 5:51 pm 
Post subject:

50 years ago

Record low attendance, just 4,554

Arsenal 0 Leeds United 3

Storrie (2) & Greenhoff

This courtesy of the excellent 11v11 website...

This was the lowest-ever attendance for a senior Arsenal game at Highbury.
On the same night, the 1966 European Cup Winners' Cup final between Borussia Dortmund and Liverpool was screened live on television, a comparatively rare event for the time.
Meanwhile, in cold and wet conditions, the visit of Leeds United match had no significant bearing on either team's fortunes as the Gunners were about to conclude the season in their lowest league position for 36 years

I would add that it was a Thursday evening and Leeds did manage second place that season (as always it seems!)

Another possible reason for crowd apathy being Arsenal supporters in general were not happy with manager Billy Wright who duly left in the summer

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:46 pm 
Post subject:

32 years ago - a result which to all intents and purposes confirmed Newcastle's promotion to the First Division.

But also more or less confirmed Derby's relegation to the Third Division.

Newcastle 4
Rams 0

att: 35,866

Only about 120 away fans shoehorned into a narrow strip of terracing. Rotten view - and no way to get to the Gents!
Not one of my better away days....

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:58 pm 
Post subject:

Ruud Van Driver wrote:
50 years ago

Arsenal 0 Leeds United 3

Just wondered if you (or anyone else?) had any photos from this game.
I really like seeing old photographs of grounds when the crowd is, while more than the proverbial 3 men and a dog, still low enough to make for an unusual shot.

Perhaps a good idea for a thread?

Villa programmes of the late 60s/early 70s often would show photos of Central League games and a sparsely filled Villa Park.

ps - thanks for your PM. Glad you got the wee package!
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 12:44 am 
Post subject:

6th May 1958

Evening Standard London 5-a-side Football Championship

As mentioned last night, the 1958 Championship final was between Orient and Palace with the East Enders winning 1-0 in the final. Thus Orient joined this list of previous winners:-

1955 Fulham 4 West Ham 1
1956 Spurs 2 Fulham 1
1957 Fulham 3 West Ham 2

Line-ups below and the match chart, followed by a selection of photos of a player from each team. Does anyone have any idea why nobody is listed as No 1 in any team?

Fred Lucas (Charlton)

Vic Rouse (Palace)

George Cohen (Fulham)

Cyril Lea (L Orient)

Roy Summersby (Millwall but then Palace)

Peter Angell (QPR)

Johnny Brooks (Tottenham but then Palace)

Noel Cantwell (West Ham)

Johnny Rainford (Brentford but then Palace)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
PeterE

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:26 am 
Post subject:

Home Farm Select v Aberdeen
6 May 1955

The Scottish Champions took on a select side at Dalymount Park in this exhibition match which was to raise funds for the home team's new clubhouse.
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 1:21 pm 
Post subject:

72 years ago (1943/4 season) and the Football League War Cup Final 2nd leg between Aston Villa and Blackpool.

Blackpool were defending the cup and had won the 1st leg 2-1 but lost this one 4-2.

The programme is a 4 page issue, with team line-ups and notes, which comprised reports on the semi final matches between Villa and Sheffield United and the 1st leg of the final against Blackpool.

There was also a 4 line report on Scotland 2 England 3 which said “Before a record war-time gate of 133,000 at Hampden Park on April 22nd, the England side once more triumphed over the Scots”.

Ruud Van Driver

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 11:55 pm 
Post subject:

42 years ago

Billy Bremner Testimonial

Leeds United 0 Sunderland 0

Att. 37,708

Billy Bremner allegedly chose Sunderland as the opposition to avenge the 73 Cup Final defeat? No idea if this is indeed true. Either way we didn't, but the night doubled up as the League Championship trophy presentation. Nice programme with a decent bit of colour and printed on more like card than paper

36 years ago

West Riding Senior Cup Final

Bradford City 1 Leeds United 4

Leeds goals from Carl Harris and an Arthur Graham hat-trick in front of just 3,255, perhaps we were the three thousand? At the time of the game Bradford City had just missed promotion from Division 4 on goal difference only, Leeds were mid-table in Division 1

Four page programme

Ruud Van Driver

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 12:10 am 
Post subject:

derby1884 wrote:
Ruud Van Driver wrote:
50 years ago

Arsenal 0 Leeds United 3

Just wondered if you (or anyone else?) had any photos from this game.
I really like seeing old photographs of grounds when the crowd is, while more than the proverbial 3 men and a dog, still low enough to make for an unusual shot.

Perhaps a good idea for a thread?

Villa programmes of the late 60s/early 70s often would show photos of Central League games and a sparsely filled Villa Park.

ps - thanks for your PM. Glad you got the wee package!

I don't think I've ever seen a picture from the game, perhaps the photographers didn't bother either!

Just had a very quick look on Google images and didn't come up with anything but I will take a look over the next few days and let you know. Arsenal played their last home game of the season just two days later on 7th May so no chance of anything being in there as it had no doubt already gone to print. I'll check magazines from the following few weeks after the match and see if there's mention of it.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 12:46 am 
Post subject:

7th May 1986

Friendly (Centenary Match)

Att: ?

Whitstable Town v Crystal Palace

Arranged for the Whistable centenary as they ended their 100th season with friendlies against Palace and then Charlton a few days later. 6 fairly regular Palace first teamers in the side but not classed as a 1st team friendly so no record of it in the books. 2 such regulars here, Gavin Nebbeling (top) and Phil Barber, unsung Palace heroes of the darker days in the mid-80's.

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 12:26 pm 
Post subject:

56 years ago at the end of the 1959/60 season, Blackpool undertook a tour to Africa where they played 8 matches throughout May.

On this day they played Nigeria at the King George V stadium in Lagos.

The programme, along with some others from the tour, are very scarce and command top prices whenever they come up for auction.

This is a 16 page issue with a page and a half of Blackpool pen pictures, team line ups across the centre and the rest adverts.

Blackpool lost just one of the 8 matches and won this one by 3 goals to 1.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 12:20 am 
Post subject:

No date on the cover but this one is from May 7th, 1966.
Last league game of the season ends in a 2-2 draw, Alan Durban and Billy Hodgson on target for Derby in front of 10,910.
The sides end up roughly mid-table.

Best of luck to CAFC in getting rid of the idiots presently in charge of their club.

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 1:14 am 
Post subject:

8th May 1969

Friendly Match

Att:

Crystal Palace 2, Swindon Town 1

For Palace, promotion to the 1st Division. For Swindon, promotion to the 2nd Division and Football League Cup winners. For Palace manager Bert Head, the perfect ending to a wonderful season. He'd been manager of Swindon from 1956 to 65 and had introduced most of these players to the 1st XI. A couple of the Palace squad had been with him at Swindon.
The 2 teams also played a friendly at the County Ground Swindon two days earlier (ST 3, CP 5). I regret I don't know any of the scorers in these games.

To pay due reverence to the Great Man, here are 2 shots of Bert Head, the first as Bury centre-half, 1952, the second as Palace manager c. 1970.

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 1:35 am 
Post subject:

8th May 1983

Grand Charity Sunday - 2 matches

TV Entertainers v London Transport Sports Association
"Old Palace" v Crystal Palace 1983

The programme mentions Bert Head as being a familiar face in attendance, among many others. And current manager Alan Mullery revealed that he nearly signed for Palace (and Bert) in 1972 but Alec Stock gazumped him so he went to Fulham.
nutfield priory

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 5:36 pm 
Post subject:

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:
8th May 1969

Friendly Match

Att:

Crystal Palace 2, Swindon Town 1

For Palace, promotion to the 1st Division. For Swindon, promotion to the 2nd Division and Football League Cup winners. For Palace manager Bert Head, the perfect ending to a wonderful season. He'd been manager of Swindon from 1956 to 65 and had introduced most of these players to the 1st XI. A couple of the Palace squad had been with him at Swindon.
The 2 teams also played a friendly at the County Ground Swindon two days earlier (ST 3, CP 5). I regret I don't know any of the scorers in these games.

To pay due reverence to the Great Man, here are 2 shots of Bert Head, the first as Bury centre-half, 1952, the second as Palace manager c. 1970.

Pete

Details of the two games as follows :

6th May 1969

Peter Hilton Testimonial Match Att : 4,383

Swindon Town 3 (Harland, Smart, Dangerfield)

Crystal Palace 5 (Lazarus 2, Kember 3)

Mike Summerbee and Ernie Hunt guested for Crystal Palace

8th May 1969

Friendly Match Att : 6,746

Crystal Palace 2 (Jackson, Kember)

Swindon Town (Smith)
Ruud Van Driver

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 8:44 pm 
Post subject:

8th May 1972

Wolves 2 Leeds United 1

Att. 53,379

Forced to play just 48 hours after winning the FA Cup, a point in this one and Leeds would've done the double, alas once again we came second.
Wolves goals from Munro & Dougan with Bremner replying for Leeds. On the same night another of the title challengers, Liverpool, failed to beat Arsenal at Highbury, leaving Derby County, whose players were already on holiday, champions for the first time in their history

Apologies for showing the same programme as 'Footyfan' but this one is autographed by the Leeds squad from the days when the majority of autographs were not just the latter day squiggle

Incidentally, this game was played on Jack Charlton's 37th birthday, what a present the double would've been for him. Jack turned 81 today

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 12:07 am 
Post subject:

49 years ago.

End-of-season friendly which didn't really fire the enthusiasm of the home fans as only just over 5,000 were in attendance.

Game ended in a 1-1 draw, Eddie Thomas on target for the Rams.

Ruud Van Driver

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 11:30 pm 
Post subject:

56 years ago

West Riding Senior Cup Final

Leeds United 1 Bradford Park Avenue 1

Att. 5,500

John McCole with the Leeds goal - He also bagged a couple in the replay three days later as Leeds won at BPA 3-1

Single sheet printed on one side only

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 12:33 am 
Post subject:

10th May 1967

Football Combination, Division I

Att:

Southampton Res 1, Crystal Palace Res 0

Barry Dyson in the superb kit of that season (although not at the Dell apparently)

| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: