Football Programmes Centre

Is this silver spoon part of the 1925 FA CUP FINAL?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Is this silver spoon part of the 1925 FA CUP FINAL?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Football Programmes For Sale at Fixed Prices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leannejones

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:34 pm 
Post subject: Is this silver spoon part of the 1925 FA CUP FINAL?

My dad picked this up at a programme fair in Sheffield. We are curious if it is to do with the Wembley Sheffield United FA Cup Final win in 1925 against Cardiff City or is it just linked with the British Empire exhbition? The footballers and the football on the front are confusing us a tad.

If anybody DOES know which one it is, do you know of what value it may be worth? Thanks! Wave
Texas Rangers

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:49 pm 
Post subject:

The single Lion and the timeframe of 1925 makes me think this is related to the British Exhibition of 1924-1925 which was held at Wembley. See link below also

https://www.amazon.com/Lion-Roars-Wembley-British-Exhibition/dp/0950925101

A couple of items that initially I thought were football items, one was a badge of the stadium with 1925 on it and another with a single lion and the word Wembley and the date 1925 on it caught my attention on eBay over here in the States. I did a quick check and found they were related to the exhibition and not the football side. Yours, since it has the cup seems to cover both.

Cheers
leannejones

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:21 pm 
Post subject:

Texas Rangers wrote:
The single Lion and the timeframe of 1925 makes me think this is related to the British Exhibition of 1924-1925 which was held at Wembley. See link below also

https://www.amazon.com/Lion-Roars-Wembley-British-Exhibition/dp/0950925101

A couple of items that initially I thought were football items, one was a badge of the stadium with 1925 on it and another with a single lion and the word Wembley and the date 1925 on it caught my attention on eBay over here in the States. I did a quick check and found they were related to the exhibition and not the football side. Yours, since it has the cup seems to cover both.

Cheers

Thanks so much for the detailed response! Hopefully its both then! Easy
Texas Rangers

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:48 pm 
Post subject:

There are folks on here with a lot of knowledge , hopefully there will be more feedback to you on this.
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:19 pm 
Post subject:

Tom Roe was selling this, he showed it to me at the recent Leeds programme fair.

Its a nice little spoon, and in my opinion is more connected to the Cup Final rather than the exhibition, after all the Cup final programme has the roaring lion and the words wembley exhibition, and thats definately football related
Smile

In what degree of context the spoon is connected to the football I cannot ascertain. Pre match dinner? Post match dinner? I'd not seen one before.

I assume it is hallmarked? I didn't check
Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:22 pm 
Post subject:

I'll ask our clubs historian and get back to you
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:24 am 
Post subject:

It's a beautiful item regardless.

This next comment, however true, is only tongue-in-cheek I should add ... but if you were to chop the actual spoon part off and stick a pin on the back, you'd increase its value tenfold!

Wink

https://www.flickr.com/photos/newport-county-badges/albums
New Forest

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:27 pm 
Post subject:

This has to be for the 1925 Cup Final at Wembley. It shows two captains reaching out for the cup over a football. When it first opened Wembley stadium was known as the Empire Stadium, hence the Lion symbol of the British Empire. I shall probably burn in hell now for bringing up a reference to the 'Empire'.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Football Programmes For Sale at Fixed Prices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: