Football Programmes Centre

If you thought your season wasn't going well........
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
If you thought your season wasn't going well........

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
surfinjim

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:16 am 
Post subject: If you thought your season wasn't going well........

respect due for this chap!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/new.....-rant.html

Jim Thumbs Up

Bolder, Blackhall, Williamson, Smith, Pickering, Hornsby, King, Johnson, McCulloch, Mellor, Curran.

Scorers; Mellor, King, Curran, Smith (pen)

GODS EVERY ONE OF THEM!
whitetiger

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:43 am 
Post subject:

read this the other week poor chap obviously end of his tether, how many have been their with their club? I certainly have with the tigers, but it makes the taste of sucess even sweeter.
Lord Doggett

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:23 pm 
Post subject:

On a similar tip, does anyone here know anything about Durham in the Unibond League....

Played 18 Lost 18 For 10 Against 95!!!

Is there a story to their season so far?

They are now officially the first result i look for on a Saturday.

Rather sadastically I dread them getting a draw, there's something almost heroic about such badness.

Good luck Durham!
stodin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:53 pm 
Post subject:

Durham won the Uniboind one (north) last season after being promoted from step 5 the previous season and were a very good team who appeared to be going places.

They applied to be allowed into the Conference (should they have a good season this season) The Conference (worst organisation in the world) refused them entry mainly due to their atrificial pitch. Subsequently their major sponsor pulled out at the statr of the season leaving then in a financial mess.

The withdrawal of the sponsorship money meant that they could not run the club based on their original projections and had to let all the players leave... Which they did. They got a load of local kids in who are not up to the standard of the Unibond prem and are being hammered every week. You have to respect them for what they are doing. It would have been fairly easy for them to run up debts chasing success like alot of other teams do at this level, they often come unstuck though and end up wound up like Nuneaton, Scarborough etc, the list is almost endless.

A similar thing happened with Lancaster a few years ago, they had to let all their players go and played the University team who also got hammered every week.

Welcome to real football Very Happy
Lord Doggett

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:06 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks Stodin,

I figured there was a story to such a poor season, now I know, I feel guilty for delighting in their misfortune.

Real football indeed, nothing against the big four (or is five now), and their fans, but it does bring their bad seasons (never got to Champions league final.... Again!!!) into perspective.

Although a Watford supporter I'm getting drawn to non-league football (although not actually enough to attend a game!), I think it's the fact Luton are now gracing the conference, Oxford doing well, and AFC Wimbledon's continued rise up the leagues, plus a real interest on where the ex-league clubs are, it's all fascinating me no end.
stodin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:01 pm 
Post subject:

stodin wrote:
It would have been fairly easy for them to run up debts chasing success like alot of other teams do at this level, they often come unstuck though and end up wound up like Nuneaton, Scarborough etc, the list is almost endless.

Welcome to real football Very Happy

Add Kings Lynn to that list. Wound up in the high court today due to stealing £65k of tax payers money. Sad for their fans but when will these clubs learn? and when will football stand up and take notice? Probably only when Abramovich asks for his loan back which will break chelsea.
stodin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:32 pm 
Post subject:

There might be a bit of light at the end of the tunnel for Durham as the chairman stepped down today. The club has been restructured with a new chairman and some new directors that includes the Supporters Club Chairman Terry Brown. Former Secretary Kevin Hewitt becomes the club’s first ever Chief Executive with day to day responsibility for the club’s operation. A very positive move and they are already taking about being in a position to raise the finanaces to start competing... I just hope they dont have a change of form until next week seeing as we have them at home on Saturday Laughing

On a sadder note there is real trouble at Kettering as the council have scuppered plans for their new stadium meaning they will not be allowed into the football league should they gain 'promotion'. Their chairman is mightily pi$$ed off and rumour is that he could pull out leaving them in a real mess. Players are already leaving and the manager went to Peterborough last week.
paulo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:11 pm 
Post subject:

The Kings Lynn one is a real shame as their directors appear to have kept this from their fans. They are very well supported and I suspect the fan base could have raised the money.

Hope they make it for Norfolk footballs sake!
stodin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:24 am 
Post subject:

Thankfully Durham's revival didnt start this weekend as Hucknall beat them 7-1. Saw the players getting off the coach and they looked more like ballboys than unibond footballers. Fair play to them (and their 15 fans) who played some decent football for kids out of their depth. They played with loads of spirit and the experience these kids are getting can only be good for them so long as they dont get demoralised, which I am sure wont happen. Good luck to them. It seems even if they do finish rock bottom they may still stay in the league as Blue Star didnt start the season, Kings Lynn look doomed and their are rumours that Worksop and Burscough could be in financial trouble. This shows that running a club properly can pay dividends in terms of fans still having a club to support.

Chester are also in real trouble owing money to Wrexham and Vauxhall motors. Their fans protested during their game against Eastbourne resultinf in the game being abandoned after 75 minutes. Watch this space.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: