Football Programmes Centre

THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY!
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thfcbasil

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:25 pm 
Post subject: THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY!

I am sure there must have been a similar topic but we have all, I am sure, missed out on an item we should have acquired. The most memorable or least memorable as I still regret it was being offered a Tottenham v. West Brom charity shield programme of 1922. All they wanted was all my mint condition cup finals in the 60's. Quite why I never accepted remains both a mystery to me as well as a source of frustration. Young, naive and not having anything pre war somehow put me off. As well as the programme having a slight tear. Sixties finals are two a penny, but what would the Charity shield programme now fetch?
pnefan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:45 pm 
Post subject:

Worcester City v Liverpool Fa Cup Tie - actually picked it up and put it back in a box full of Worcester Race cards & non league programmes-.

I did bid on the box but let it go - fairly cheap .
Jim LFC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:29 pm 
Post subject:

Liverpool V Burnley 1914 Cup Final. Was offered this for £100 in 1976, One of the main things that stopped me spending my life savings at that time was the prospect that my team would be competing in the European Cup final the year after. And so it came to pass that I raided my TSB account for the whole £110 for a three day trip and the rest is history...

I suppose we've all had opportunities for retrospective bargains but I feel my choice of being part of history with all the fantastic associated memories far outweighs the equally fantastic investment of a vintage cup final. Even if it is worth around £8000 now?! Smile
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:27 pm 
Post subject:

Jim LFC wrote:
Liverpool V Burnley 1914 Cup Final. Was offered this for £100 in 1976, One of the main things that stopped me spending my life savings at that time was the prospect that my team would be competing in the European Cup final the year after. And so it came to pass that I raided my TSB account for the whole £110 for a three day trip and the rest is history...

I suppose we've all had opportunities for retrospective bargains but I feel my choice of being part of history with all the fantastic associated memories far outweighs the equally fantastic investment of a vintage cup final. Even if it is worth around £8000 now?! Smile

well Jim if u believe that...... Laughing

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:33 pm 
Post subject:

Jim LFC wrote:

Maybe you should have borrowed £100 from the TSB and done both!
Hey - hindsight's a great thing.
I sold a Thames v QPR for flumpence back in the early 80s.
Cantona93

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:40 pm 
Post subject: The One That Got Away!

Back in the late 70s I decided to pass on a Newton Heath home programme for £100. I was a poor student at the time though!
Jim LFC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:55 pm 
Post subject:

manchesterunitedman1 wrote:
Jim LFC wrote:

Of course I do Leslie! Surely you must understand as you were in Barcelona in 1999?! Smile
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:59 pm 
Post subject:

Jim LFC wrote:
manchesterunitedman1 wrote:
Jim LFC wrote:

Of course I do Leslie! Surely you must understand as you were in Barcelona in 1999?! Smile

yes i was there alright and Wembley twice, Moscow, Rome hmmmm i can think of 2 off those games i wish i had not been there!
Laughing

To see 19,900++ original items relating to Newton Heath & Manchester Utd 1878-2023 then visit www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets to see entire uploads.

1000's more images to be uploaded, to view the latest uploads go to www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/

Click any images 21 MILLION views to date to the Flickr site since 2007 growing every day. New Uploads weekly. Thank You to one & all for visiting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
silkman1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:30 pm 
Post subject:

Worcester v Liverpool FA Cup was mentioned. I saw almost a pristine copy of this a week ago.

What would it be worth?

It was in a collection of non league v league cup ties which included some quite rare articles.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: