Football Programmes Centre

April 2016
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
April 2016
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:57 am 
Post subject:

25th April 1978

Football League, Division II

Att: 11,115

Crystal Palace 2 (Swindlehurst, Chatterton pen), Blackpool 2 (Burridge og, McEwan)

Not often a keeper appears on the scoresheet, specially for his former club - so here's John "Budgie" Burridge, for whom the adjective "much-travelled" is an under-statement.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:46 am 
Post subject:

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:

Not often a keeper appears on the scoresheet, specially for his former club - so here's John "Budgie" Burridge, for whom the adjective "much-travelled" is an under-statement.

Great character was Budgie.

Used to have great fun entertaing the crowds in the warm up.

Much loved character at Bloomfield Road.
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:52 am 
Post subject:

80 years ago (1935/6 season) and a 2nd Division fixture between Newcastle United and Blackpool.

The programme is similar to the Central League one shown earlier this month and is an unusual square size comprising 12 pages.

The cover however has a different advert to the earlier one but still does not include either season, date or opponents.

Newcastle won 1-0 having been beaten a few days earlier by 6 goals to nil.

Ruud Van Driver

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:51 pm 
Post subject:

25th April 1953

Combination Cup

Arsenal Reserves v Crystal Palace

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:35 pm 
Post subject:

52 years ago.

I've no real problem with this - the whole point of a programme (at least back then) was to be able to identify who was who on the pitch. If the visiting team decide to play silly buggers, then why shouldn't any self-respecting fan make the necessary amendments?

At least he (or she) was neat about it.

Adds a touch of authenticity to the programme, too.

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:55 am 
Post subject:

One player who might be amazed to feature on these boards would be Palace centre forward Remo "Roy" Besagni, who played just 2 first team games for Palace at the end of 1952/3, without troubling the scorers. In fact his debut was 4 days after this reserve match. Maybe he had a good game at Arsenal. Here's Roy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:15 am 
Post subject:

26th April 1951 (in fact, this is a bit of a con. The programme cover was printed for the Vale v Millwall game of 17th March, which was postponed. It was then going to be used for the Vale v Palace game of 23rd March - that was postponed. It was then used for the re-arranged match of 9th April, which was abandoned after 60 minutes with Vale leading 5-1 (Thomas) and expunged. Finally it was re-used for the re-arranged game that actually counted on 26th April....)

Football League, Division III (South)

Att: 7,069

Port Vale 2, Crystal Palace 2 (Marsden 2)

Having said all the above, what a great cover!
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:45 am 
Post subject:

66 years ago (1949/50 season) and a 1st Division fixture between West Bromwich Albion and Blackpool.

The programme is an 8 page issue and includes fixtures (including the Birmingham Combination), a league table, notes, details of the previous weeks matches at all levels and details of forthcoming matches at the Hawthorns including various local finals.

West Brom won 1-0 in front of 23671 spectators.

Ruud Van Driver

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:03 am 
Post subject:

The only League programme issued on the day I was born. One of those Blackburn issues from the period that was printed on very thick paper

26th April 1962

Blackburn 0 Sheffield Wednesday 2

Wilkinson & Dobson with the goals

If anyone reading this has any other programmes dated 26/4/62 I would like to purchase them, pretty sure they would be non-league issues. The only other significant game played on this day was the Rochdale v Norwich League Cup Final which I don't own and am never likely to!

Karb

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:58 pm 
Post subject:

Happy birthday Ruud Thumbs Up
Maidonian

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:23 pm 
Post subject:

1945 and the only single sheet issue I have found for 1944/45 season - I have no idea whether there were any others.

nutfield priory

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:19 pm 
Post subject:

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:
26th April 1951 (in fact, this is a bit of a con. The programme cover was printed for the Vale v Millwall game of 17th March, which was postponed. It was then going to be used for the Vale v Palace game of 23rd March - that was postponed. It was then used for the re-arranged match of 9th April, which was abandoned after 60 minutes with Vale leading 5-1 (Thomas) and expunged. Finally it was re-used for the re-arranged game that actually counted on 26th April....)

Football League, Division III (South)

Att: 7,069

Port Vale 2, Crystal Palace 2 (Marsden 2)

Having said all the above, what a great cover!

Pete

Just to give you further information in respect of the programmes for the Port Vale game, the first was postponed which you have illustrated, the abandoned game, the same programme was issued with a single sheet insert, the final game on 26 April a single sheet programme was issued which is illustrated below

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:38 pm 
Post subject:

Pah! What do I know, eh?

The programme I have was the one used for the abandoned game with team changes inside, but no team sheet. I was told there wasn't a re-issue for the final game but it seems there was the single sheet which you have. For the abandoned game, these were the line-ups, after extensive doctoring:-

Vale:- 1 King, 2 Hamlett, 3 Potts; 4 Polk, 5 Hayward, 6 Martin, 7 Hulligan, 8 Aveyard, 9 Barber, 10 Griffiths, 11 Cunliffe.

Palace:- 1 Hughes, 2 Harding, 3 Edwards, 4 Whittaker, 5 Cushlow, 6 Chilvers, 7 Broughton, 8 Kelly, 9 Thomas, 10 Rundle, 11 Hanlon
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:33 am 
Post subject:

27th April 1946

Friendly Match

Att: 2,200 (est)

Crystal Palace 4 (Reece, Blackman, Burrell 2), Bristol City 4 (Williams, Bentley 2, Thomas)

Shown here is Palace inside right Billy Bark who later that year changed his name by Deed Poll to Billy Naylor. He played 19 peace-time games (10 goals) for Palace and many war-time in which he scored regularly, but soon after his name change went to Brentford (11 games, 2 goals) and then Orient (64 games, 14 goals) before drifting into the Southern League at Weymouth in 1950.

I find the comment near the foot of the programme quite touching - the Club hope to announce the Cup Final score by loud-speaker about every 15 minutes. Wot - no WiFi? Confused
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:26 am 
Post subject:

70 years ago (1945/6 season) and a Football League North fixture between Liverpool and Blackpool.

The programme is a single sheet with team line ups on the front and fixtures and a half-time scoreboard on the reverse.

The match ended in a 4-0 win to Liverpool in front of around 20000 spectators.

Ruud Van Driver

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:24 pm 
Post subject:

Karb wrote:
Happy birthday Ruud Thumbs Up

Thank you very much Karb Thumbs Up

27th April 1955

Division 3 North

Barnsley 0 Southport 0

Barnsley on their way to the title

27th April 1974

Division 1

QPR 0 Leeds United 1 (Clarke)

Att. 35,353

Last match of Leeds United's title winning season and a colour souvenir programme

Ruud Van Driver

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:21 pm 
Post subject:

27th April 1964

West Riding Senior Cup Semi-Final Replay

Huddersfield Town 3 Leeds United 3 aet

Huddersfield - Stokes 2 (15' 85') Dinsdale (pen 116')

Leeds United - Peacock 2 (25' 40') Bremner (113')

Att. 5,631

All square in this replay after extra time so a second replay was needed, Leeds winning it 3-1. They would go on to win the Cup with a 4-1 victory over Bradford City

Single sheet issue on card, printed on both sides

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:33 am 
Post subject:

28th April 1969

Football League, Division II

Att: 4,777

Blackburn Rovers 1, Crystal Palace 2 (C Jackson, Lazarus)

This match originally started on 1st February but was abandoned after just 10 minutes due to rain and mud with the score 0-0. This replayed fixture was 9 days after Palace's previous match in which they had sealed promotion with victory over Fulham (see 19th April). For Blackburn it was their fifth straight defeat as they slid precariously close to the drop. But for Palace it was their 16th game unbeaten and exciting times lay ahead in the uncharted territory of Div I.

Interestingly, Rovers had dropped the price for this edition to 6d from the usual shilling without the Football League Review. This programme, and the 1st Feb version, cost me £5 each when I bought them back in the 90's. I wonder what they go for now - pennies, presumably!

Mark Lazarus

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:26 am 
Post subject:

Just 4 days after the 1948 FA Cup Final between Blackpool and Manchester United, the 2 sides met again in a 1st Division fixture at Bloomfield Road.

A special edition of the programme was produced, increasing the pages from 8 to 12, and having a tangerine print on the front, back and inside cover rather the normal black print.

The programme contained lots of notes and comments about the final and a Blackpool team photo.

Blackpool got a little bit of revenge by winning 1-0, although United ended the season as runners up to Arsenal with Blackpool only finishing in 9th.

Mortensen scored the only goal in front of 32236 spectators.

Maidonian

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:01 pm 
Post subject:

| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: