Football Programmes Centre

April 2016
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
April 2016
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:05 am 
Post subject:

A late inclusion, for me anyway, as I was late in from Fortress Selhurst last night and didn't have the energy to go online before beddy-byes.

14th April 1961

Friendly

Att: ?

Crystal Palace 0, Bangu (Brazil) 2

A few famous names in the Bangu team on the back of the prog

Palace stalwart Len Choules, at centre half in this game. And a very odd photo which I have never been able to figure out, unless there was a mirror just behind Len when the shot was taken...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:06 pm 
Post subject:

91 years ago (1924/5 season) and a Central League fixture between Sheffield United reserves and Blackpool reserves.

A confusing 4 page programme, which could mislead the novice collector, because the fixture it shows on the front is not for this game, but for the 1st team fixture a few days later against Notts County.

Only the back page with the team line ups refers to the Blackpool game.

Ruud Van Driver

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:20 pm 
Post subject:

65 years ago, 14th April 1951

Central League

Chesterfield Reserves 0 Leeds United Res 0

Nice 12 page issue for this Reserve game between two Central League strugglers

nutfield priory

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:25 pm 
Post subject:

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:
A late inclusion, for me anyway, as I was late in from Fortress Selhurst last night and didn't have the energy to go online before beddy-byes.

14th April 1961

Friendly

Crystal Palace 0, Bangu (Brazil) 2

Pete

Attendance a whopping 12, 085

A few famous names in the Bangu team on the back of the prog

Palace stalwart Len Choules, at centre half in this game. And a very odd photo which I have never been able to figure out, unless there was a mirror just behind Len when the shot was taken...

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:53 pm 
Post subject:

1962 Amateur Cup Final.

Programme, sing-song sheet and an autographed photo of the winning team.....though only after a replay.

This match ended in a 1-1 draw.

A little sad to see Crook Town in the doldrums these days.

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:17 am 
Post subject:

15th April 1980

Martin Hinshelwood Testimonial Match

Crystal Palace 2, Tottenham Hotspur 3

Son of Wally (Fulham, Chelsea, Reading, Bristol City, Millwall & Newport Co); older brother of Paul (Palace, Millwall, Colchester); father of Danny (Portsmouth, Brighton); various nephews........

A bit of a dynasty but Martin only played for Palace and his career was dogged by bad knees and finally ended by a serious injury sustained v Port Vale in March 1976 - 3 days after playing a lead role in the FA Cup quarter final win at Sunderland. So having starred in the cup run his career was finished before the semi final.

Debut 1972 at Southampton, last game 4 years later - a terribly short life as a pro footballer and only 79 cup & league games under his belt. A stylish midfielder, a good passer, marker and tackler, the sort you have in the engine room in any good team.

But here we are, 40 years later, and he's still in the game having had caretaker manager spells in a full decade at Brighton and now non-league coaching at Lewes having stepped in at Crawley Town for a while.

And here he is, Leeds v Palace, April 1973, taking on Terry Yorath with Billy Bremner waiting to give him a sly kick on the ankle.

Whatever happened to sock numbers?

PS: I should have said - Martin played 3 more games in 76/7 and 2 more in 77/8 in attempted comebacks but sadly the damage was done. I missed that info last night!

Last edited by Pete’s Picture Palace on Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:38 am 
Post subject:

66 years ago (1949/50 season) and a 1st Division fixture between Bolton Wanderers and Blackpool.

The programme is a 6 page gatefold style issue with notes, fixtures (including Lancashire Combination) and tables.

Blackpool were 5th going into this game, 2 points behind the leaders Manchester United and with 2 games in hand.

Unfortunately they dropped a point by only drawing 0-0 in front of a crowd of 25800.

nutfield priory

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:57 pm 
Post subject:

15th April 1980

Martin Hinshelwood Testimonial Match

Crystal Palace 2, Tottenham Hotspur 3

Son of Wally (Fulham, Chelsea, Reading, Bristol City, Millwall & Newport Co); older brother of Paul (Palace, Millwall, Colchester); father of Danny (Portsmouth, Brighton); various nephews........

A bit of a dynasty but Martin only played for Palace and his career was dogged by bad knees and finally ended by a serious injury sustained v Port Vale in March 1976 - 3 days after playing a lead role in the FA Cup quarter final win at Sunderland. So having starred in the cup run his career was finished before the semi final.

Debut 1972 at Southampton, last game 4 years later - a terribly short life as a pro footballer and only 79 cup & league games under his belt. A stylish midfielder, a good passer, marker and tackler, the sort you have in the engine room in any good team.

But here we are, 40 years later, and he's still in the game having had caretaker manager spells in a full decade at Brighton and now non-league coaching at Lewes having stepped in at Crawley Town for a while.

And here he is, Leeds v Palace, April 1973, taking on Terry Yorath with Billy Bremner waiting to give him a sly kick on the ankle.

Whatever happened to sock numbers?

PS: I should have said - Martin played 3 more games in 76/7 and 2 more in 77/8 in attempted comebacks but sadly the damage was done. I missed that info last night!

Pete

Attendance : 7,040
Ruud Van Driver

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:56 pm 
Post subject:

Harsh.....but true

I note we even have a Billy Bremner emoji Chav Just like him in home kit!

Now a game he scored in 15th April 1970

Celtic 2 Leeds United 1

European Cup Semi-Final 2nd Leg

An incredible 136,505 at the game! Leeds lost 3-1 on aggregate, would've won if we'd played on grass Smile

Two years earlier, 15th April 1968

Central League

Wolves Reserves 3 Leeds United 0 (Must've played on aggregate again)

Single sheet printed on both sides

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:58 pm 
Post subject:

This day in 1949.

And a very worthy cause, too.

Dorking

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:58 pm 
Post subject:

!

Absolutely love those 'EAG - LES' jackets - a classic issue also worn at the Chelsea 76 game!
Maidonian

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:12 pm 
Post subject:

Many to choose from on this date, so here's a small selection:

1969 - and a visit to the much missed Queen Street ground of Horsham for a Premier Midweek Floodlight League fixture lost 2-0. Foolscap size duplicated sheet issued folded in half. Maidenhead finished 4th of the eight teams in Section B, Horsham finished bottom.

1972 - and a trip to the wonderful Dripping Pan at Lewes for an Athenian League fixture and a 2-0 win. Maidenhead finished 6th, Lewes 12th, Slough Town won the division. Six page gatefold type issue, professionally printed shell with typed and duplicated additional info.

1974 - and a 1-1 draw at Victoria Road against champions elect Dagenham in the Isthmian League Division 1. Maidenhead finished 7th (of 16). Eight page programme printed in red throughout.

1978 - off to the Old Spotted Dog ground for an Isthmian League Division 1 game against Clapton which ended in a 3-0 win for Maidenhead who finished 10th with Clapton 20th (of 22). Six page gatefold issue, outer shell printed in red and black with typed and duplicated additional info.

Finally, I'm sorry to hear of the misfortunes of others with FSA. I entrusted Andy with half of a collection of Crystal Palace programmes which featured in the FSA March 2014 auction. Obviously had the same experiences as others due to "waiting for payments from buyers", but I eventually got paid in full at the end of June.
yachtsmun

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:23 pm 
Post subject:

15/04/89 Otterbourne 0 - 1 Cowes Sports (Hampshire League Division 2)

A vital win for Cowes on the way to promotion, courtesy of a late goal from super Sam Bradley.

Not much celebration that day though, with tragic events 200 miles away at the forefront of everyone's minds once we'd started seeing reports come through on Grandstand in the clubhouse.

The world changed for a lot of people that day, and football would never be the same again either. JFT96.

Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:15 pm 
Post subject:

England 2 Scotland 3, Jim Baxter sat on the ball...........

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:10 am 
Post subject:

16th April 1974

Football League, Division II

Att: 32,124

Crystal Palace 0, Fulham 2

Going back to the 12th for a minute, when Palace won the reverse fixture 3-1 and got out of the bottom 3, the next day (Easter Saturday) they had another away game at neighbours Millwall. A close game was lost 3-2 and so Palace returned to the edge of the relegation places - the pressure was on again. And sure enough, on Tuesday night the 16th, 32,000 packed into Selhurst and the wheels came off against Fulham. So now the barrel was being looked down.....

OK, so this photo was taken 12 months earlier, but as we'd just been relegated then too, somehow this nice photo at the Playboy Club fitted in well with the tale (or tail).
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:15 pm 
Post subject:

This day in 1954.

Doncaster 1 (Tindill)
Derby 3 (Law, Harrison, Wilkins)

att: 11,668

Large 8 page programme issued. Nicely laid out with plenty to read.

Ruud Van Driver

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:56 pm 
Post subject:

And here is Martin & Paul Hinshelwood's Dad Wally playing in the Southern League for Canterbury City v Dartford on this day in 1962. The Nag's Head looks tempting...

Dartford's right winger was Pacey Get My Coat

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:05 am 
Post subject:

Spot the 50s rock star in the Canterbury City line up that day, Mal Smile
Flackwell Lad

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:31 am 
Post subject:

Poor old Johnny Raaaaaaaaay sounded sad upon the radio broke a million hearts in mono.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:11 pm 
Post subject:

17th April 1971

Football League, Division I

Att: 39,145

Crystal Palace 3 (Birchenall, Tambling, Queen), Manchester United 5 (Best 2, Law 3)

Bland programme cover disguises one of the most memorable matches at Selhurst Park, even if we were undone by the brilliance of the two United goalscorers. Palace, 2-1 up at half time through the ex-Chelsea pairing (Bobby Tambling shown below), couldn't cope with a fantastic second half performance by United who somehow only scored four times.

| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: