Football Programmes Centre

April 2016
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
April 2016
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ruud Van Driver

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:50 pm 
Post subject:

On the same day that City hosted Bury, Leeds United travelled down to Fulham and secured a 3-1 win with goals from Bremner, Johanneson & Storrie. The game was watched by 38,960. 4 days later Fulham won the reverse fixture 1-0 at Fortress Elland Road

Two years earlier on 8th April 1964

Leeds United 1 Juventus 1 - Friendly

This friendly helped to prepare Leeds for their last 3 league games of the season, two wins and a draw sent us up to Division 1 as champions with Sunderland runners-up
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:00 am 
Post subject:

66 years ago - played at Elland Road.
I think there had been a fire at Huddersfield's ground which prevented them playing there.

Huddersfield 2
Derby 0
att: 30,167

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:23 am 
Post subject:

9th April 1949

Football League, Division III (South)

Att: 7,625

Exeter City 3 (Mackay, Durrant, Hutchings), Crystal Palace 1 (Kurz again)

Another rock-bottom finish for Palace (or maybe I've written about it before - we did finish last in Div III S 3 times after the war). Jack Lewis was a good player at right half and he soldiered on for 11 years (inc wartime) before heading off to Bournemouth later in 1949 - after picking up a benefit in May!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:45 pm 
Post subject:

89 years ago and an inter-league match at Egham FC.

Surrey Senior Lge v Great Western Suburban Lge

Representing the former are players from Egham, Aldershot Town, Farnham U.B., Epsom, Godalming, Reigate Priory and Guildford.

Representing the latter are players from Leavesden Mental Hospital, Berkhamsted, Hounslow, Cowley, Leyland and Newbury.

Very fragile 4 page programme, notes on the front, lineups in the centre, league tables on the back cover.

And a wonderful "charabancs for hire" advert, too Smile

Ruud Van Driver

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:45 pm 
Post subject:

Leeds United in European action on this day

9th April 1968

Leeds United 2 Glasgow Rangers 0

ICFC 4th Round 2nd Leg (2-0 on agg)

Goals from Giles (pen) and Lorimer in front of 50,498. Hope Big Jack & co got stuck into Fergie!

Leeds would go on to win the trophy

9th April 1975

Leeds United 2 Barcelona 1

European Cup Semi-Final 1st Leg

Leeds goals from Bremner & Clarke with Asensi replying for Barca in front of 50,393. A 1-1 draw followed at the Nou Camp and Leeds were through to the Final, only to be robbed of course...

Sorry for taking up so much space but it helps me cope with what we have today Sad
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:16 am 
Post subject:

..... shudder to think about the chunks Hunter would have taken out of Ferguson and Cruyff in those games - how would they have responded?

Ferguson Mad No
Cruyff Confused Wave

10th April 1944

Football League - South

Att: 7,500 (est)

Brentford 2, Crystal Palace 0

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Maidonian

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:53 am 
Post subject:

1976 and a 3-1 defeat at Boghead in the Spring Cup meant Stenhousemuir failed to qualify from the section.

This is a difficult programme to find for collectors of Stenny, Dumbarton and Spring Cup competition programmes and consistently realises a decent price when up for sale. The last one I saw was:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DUMB....._22wt_1275
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:34 am 
Post subject:

11th April 1981

Football League, Division I

Att: 9,820

Crystal Palace 3 (Langley 2, Lovell), Birmingham City 1

This was Palace's only win in this awful season after 13th December. And these were the first goals scored by Tommy Langley, a transfer window signing from Chelsea, and who toiled hard for next-to-no effect. But he wasn't alone in this sorry side. This was also Palace's lowest-ever top flight attendance - how typical that they would record their only win in 5 months.

AberdeenBob

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:58 am 
Post subject:

Porto 1-0 Aberdeen, European Cup Winners Cup Semi Final, 11th April 1984. Apparently seemed like a good result at the time and it was still believed we would reach consecutive European finals. As far as I'm aware this isn't considered the "programme" for the game but was the issue produced before the game, has "Aberdeen, Semi Final opponents" on the cover and a run down of the team inside! Not sure what the other edition has!

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:51 pm 
Post subject:

63 years ago - bits and pieces from the 1953 Amateur Cup Final.

A bit one-sided......Pegasus 6 Harwich & Parkeston 0

100,000 in attendance. Amazing.

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:06 am 
Post subject:

Good Friday, 12th April 1974

Football League, Division II

Att: 22,877

Fulham 1 (Moore), Crystal Palace 3 (Possee, Johnson 2)

Palace were fighting hard to escape the drop and in this Good Friday game with an 11:15 kick-off raced into a 3-0 half time lead, with goals from Derek Possee and a Jeff Johnson brace. A rare Bobby Moore goal was the only second half addition.

Two of the goalscorers

With this result Palace pulled themselves clear of the bottom 3 for the first time this season (3 relegated for the first time this season) and in great form (PL 13, W 8, D 3 L 2) looked forward to 2 more matches over Easter. All will be revealed.

Last edited by Pete’s Picture Palace on Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:34 pm 
Post subject:

68 years ago (1947/8 season) and a 1st Division fixture between Sunderland and Blackpool.

The programme is a 12 page issue with roughly an even split between content and adverts including adverts for 3 different ales.

Sunderland won 1-0 in front of a massive crowd of 61,084 which was the 3rd highest away attendance of the season behind Arsenal and Manchester United.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:02 pm 
Post subject:

Can it really be 30 (thirty!) years ago?
A sobering statistic indeed...I don't think I could spend the night huddled on a bench in York station like I did back then!
Certainly was a fun weekend away - Derby fans seemed to have taken over 75% of the ground.

Imps 0
Rams 1 (Bobby Davison)

att: 6,237 (seemed a LOT more on the day)

Ruud Van Driver

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:58 pm 
Post subject:

After our coupon busting win there this evening....

58 years ago, 12th April 1958

Birmingham City 1 Leeds United 1 - Div 1

Att. 23,112

George O'Brien with the Leeds goal

12th April 1971

Huddersfield Town 0 Leeds United 0

Huge Division 1 crowd of 43,011 watched this derby, Big Jack still in the Leeds team. Four games later Leeds finished second to Arsenal by just a point - A win here would have prevented us from being the bridesmaid once again. I've said it before but I love these late 60s/early 70's programmes with the FLR within, a great read

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:29 am 
Post subject:

13th April 1976

Football League, Division III

Att: 19,175

Crystal Palace 1 (Martin), Halifax Town 1 (McHale)

Neil Martin, a recent arrival, scores his one and only goal for Palace, sliding home past Shaymen keeper Alex Smith. It was at about this time that the Malcolm Allison dream was burning itself out, despite his optimistic programme notes. Within 10 days of losing the semi final to Saints, Palace lost 2 games 0-1 and then came this turgid draw against struggling Halifax. Time was running out for Big Mal.

While for Martin his goal was his last in English football after a long and prolific career (511 games, 226 goals), for Ray McHale his goal was one of the early ones in his similarly long and much-travelled career (599 games, 87 goals). Halifax was his second club - Barnsley, where pictured, was his 5th of 10.

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:47 am 
Post subject:

53 years ago (1962/3 season) and a Central League fixture between Newcastle United reserves and Blackpool reserves.

The programme is a full 16 page issue and includes a nice action photo of Alan Suddick who was later to join the Seasiders.

I always like covers such as this with a sketch of the stadium.

Blackpool won the match 4-1 with 2063 in attendance.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:17 pm 
Post subject:

52 years ago today.
Joint testimonial at The Huish for 4 long-serving Yeovil players - Dave Topping, Dave Jones, Roy Lambden and Len Harris - who, between them, had played almost 1,000 games for the club.

Plenty to read in the 16 page programme which is basically a standard Yeovil issue of the time. Not many clubs printed the attendances for their home reserve games but they did. The highest was 1,014 against Andover.

The reason Derby were the chosen opposition was because Yeovil's player-manager at the time was ex-Ram Glyn Davies.

I have the score in my records as a 3-3 draw but with a big "??" against it - so if anyone can verify or otherwise, please let me know.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:29 pm 
Post subject:

Ruud Van Driver wrote:
I've said it before but I love these late 60s/early 70's programmes with the FLR within, a great read

It's only my opinion, and I know they're worth zilch, but I'd have season 72/73 as the pinnacle of programme production.

Lay out one issue from each of the 92 League clubs on your floor and you have a myriad of designs and sizes. (I did that a wee while back!)

What they (almost) all have in common is that they've embraced a more modern design without, as yet, all starting to look and feel the same.

Give me a boxful of early 70s programmes and I'm like a pig in sh....oops, better not type that last word Smile
Ruud Van Driver

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:46 pm 
Post subject:

derby1884 wrote:
Ruud Van Driver wrote:
I've said it before but I love these late 60s/early 70's programmes with the FLR within, a great read

It's only my opinion, and I know they're worth zilch, but I'd have season 72/73 as the pinnacle of programme production.

Lay out one issue from each of the 92 League clubs on your floor and you have a myriad of designs and sizes. (I did that a wee while back!)

What they (almost) all have in common is that they've embraced a more modern design without, as yet, all starting to look and feel the same.

Give me a boxful of early 70s programmes and I'm like a pig in sh....oops, better not type that last word Smile

Hear hear Steve although I don't quite have one per club to try it out!

Pretty close to 72/3 on today's picks although at one stage I was just going to post the Leeds United 4 Liverpool 5 game which was an unbelievable 25 years ago today Shocked

13th April 1968

Coventry City 0 Leeds United 1

A winning goal from the late Terry Hibbitt in front of an impressive 38,778

13th April 1974

Coventry City 0 Leeds United 0

Crowd a little down on 6 years earlier at 35,182. Lovely Triumph car advert on the back cover

Leeds would go on to 'Triumph' in Division 1 as we won the League by a comfortable 5 points to be 'Herald-ed' as champions to great 'Acclaim'!

Get My Coat
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:09 am 
Post subject:

Ruud Van Driver wrote:

Leeds would go on to 'Triumph' in Division 1 as we won the League by a comfortable 5 points to be 'Herald-ed' as champions to great 'Acclaim'!

Get My Coat

Believe it or not, for a very short time in 1974 there was an actual programme shop in Nelson Street in Aberdeen. Only lasted a few months. I went in from school with my 20p pocket money once and came out with a 73/4 Leeds v Stoke issue and this very 73/4 Coventry v Leeds issue.

"Not got any Derby programmes?" I asked the bloke behind the counter.

"No call for them, young 'un" he replied.

It's hard to project a look of disdain when one has just turned 13 but I did my best Smile
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: