Football Programmes Centre

April 2016
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
April 2016
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history
View previous topic :: View next topic  
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:44 pm 
Post subject:

47 years ago - testimonial match for Brian Hill, referred to several times in the 8 page programme as "the quiet man" and who had joined the club back in 1957.

Match ended in a 1-1 draw.

In the 9 days since picking up the Second Division trophy on April 19th, the suddenly in-demand Derby had played 3 friendlies/testimonials in that time. No heading straight for your summer holidays in those days.

Ruud Van Driver

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:51 pm 
Post subject:

60 years ago

Hull City 1 Leeds United 4

Leeds secure second place and promotion to Division 1 with two goals each for season top scorers John Charles and Harold Brooks, the Gentle Giant has signed the cover of this one

Att. 31,123

58 years ago

Barking v Brentwood & Warley

Essex Elizabethan Trophy Semi-Final

4 hours ago Laughing

Cowes Sports 0 Newport IoW 1

Sydenhams Wessex League Premier Division

A nice 24 page programme, plenty to read including a regular contribution from the forum's Yachtsmun. A good read and a bloody nice bloke!

Not the best of games on what seemed like a January evening, remarkably the game ended with 22 players on the pitch, this local derby can often be 'very keenly contested'!

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:29 am 
Post subject:

29th April 1944

Football League - South

Att: 5,000 (est)

Aldershot 0, Crystal Palace 6 (six) (Wilson, Robson, Ferrier 2, A Dawes, Smith)

Palace neared the end of this fragmented season with a thumping victory at the Rec against a Shots side which included 9 loanees, Alec Stock (QPR) and Wally Boyes (Everton) among them. Albert Dawes was one of the scorers as usual and it's noted that he had become Mr Versatile by appearing in 9 different shirts through the season.

For some reason the picture uploading service is "temporarily unavailable".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:23 pm 
Post subject:

77 years ago (1938/9 season) and a 1st Division fixture between Brentford and Blackpool.

The programme is a 24 page issue with lots of adverts but also plenty of reading.

Brentford had only drawn one home league game all season so it may have been a surprise for this to end 1-1.

Blackpool’s goal was scored by the opposition and the crowd was 12761.

Ruud Van Driver

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:53 pm 
Post subject:

46 years ago

FA Cup Final replay at Old Trafford

Leeds United v Chelsea

Att. 62,078

Score not to hand

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:58 am 
Post subject:

Just to think, I used to have some photos of that Cup Final replay, long before it all went mad on EBay. I'd have loved to share them with Ruud.

And so another month, another season, is nearly at an end.

30th April 1955

Football League, Division III (South)

Att: 14,425

Crystal Palace 1 (Tilston), Bristol City 2 (Burden, Rogers)

A fitting tribute on the cover to run-away leaders City, who ended the season with 101 goals, 30 wins and 70 points - 9 ahead of runners-up, Orient. Palace won the next game (v Norwich) and just crept into 20th place.

A fascinating article inside by Palace boss Cyril Spiers, who assumed the hot-seat in October. Well worth a read....

With apologies to Reuters for forbidden reproduction.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Maidonian

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:06 am 
Post subject:

11 years ago today and Maidenhead travelled to South Wales for their final match of the season. Three clubs - ourselves, our opponents or Carshalton Athletic - were fighting to avoid joining Margate and Redbridge in being relegated from the National League South.

but it was not to be...

Although the subsequent voluntary demotion of Hornchurch reprieved us, it made little difference as 2005-06 season was even worse and we finished bottom. Our goalkeeper that day seems to have done quite well for himself.
Ruud Van Driver

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:58 pm 
Post subject:

60 years ago today

Leeds United v Sheffield Wednesday

Friendly/Benefit game between the two promoted clubs from Division 2

4 pager and not an advert in sight

53 years ago

Chelsea 2 Leeds United 2 (Division 2)

Att. 24,387

Bluntstone & Bridges for Chelsea with Lawson getting both for Leeds. Good coverage on Ron Harris, captain of both the Chelsea & England Youth teams and by now featuring regularly in the Chelsea first team, a tremendous servant to the club by the end of his career there in 1980

Intended posting Tom Finney's last Preston game, home v Luton 30/4/60 but ran out of time. There's always next year!
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: