Football Programmes Centre

April 2016
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
April 2016
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:37 am 
Post subject: April 2016

1st April 1950

Football League, Division III (South)

Att: 10,277

Northampton Town 2 (Dixon 2), Crystal Palace 2 (Rooke 2)

Ronnie Rooke (aged 37) re-joined Palace in summer 1949, as player-manager, following finishing last, and 6 points adrift, in 1948/9 season. With Fred Kurz (aged 31) alongside they scored 31 goals between them and Palace finished in nose-bleed territory - 7th. (Not an April Fool!) But he was gone by November 1950 and sure enough, Palace finished bottom again.

Not sure what this is, it's 2-sided paper and I got it maybe 20 years ago.

attempt to revive the club's fortunes

(Last line which has been cut off)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Dorking

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:01 am 
Post subject:

Pete

I have one

It was issued by LTA Robinson
Series = Football Stars of Today and Tomorrow

Don't know exact year of issue

Worth about £3
Ruud Van Driver

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:10 am 
Post subject:

My most valuable programme and believed to be the only one in existence, purchased at an online auction from an Australian auction house in 2009 and previously the property of the man it honours

The game was due to take place on 1/4/68 between Chertsey Town and Manchester United to mark the Chertsey goalkeepers remarkable feat of reaching 1500 appearances but due to unforeseen events Man Utd were unable to send a side and the match was cancelled. This programme belonged to the keeper himself and was the proof copy sent to him for approval before printing took place, nothing was subsequently printed due to the postponement, so hopefully where there's one there may only be one! I'm hoping so as I paid just shy of £7k but expect to turn a decent profit should I ever have to sell

The keeper in question was Arthur Prilfool who made his Chertsey debut between the sticks for their colts team aged just 11 in 1922 and kept goal on 1500 occasions at all levels through to the 1967/8 season by which time he was 56. He even managed to keep a clean sheet in his last game!

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:50 am 
Post subject:

44 years ago (1971/2 season) and a Central League fixture between Bolton Wanderers reserves and Blackpool reserves.

The programme is just a single sheet printed on one side only.

A young Sam Allardyce was in the Bolton side.

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:55 am 
Post subject:

Ruud Van Driver wrote:
My most valuable programme and believed to be the only one in existence, purchased at an online auction from an Australian auction house in 2009 and previously the property of the man it honours

The game was due to take place on 1/4/68 between Chertsey Town and Manchester United to mark the Chertsey goalkeepers remarkable feat of reaching 1500 appearances but due to unforeseen events Man Utd were unable to send a side and the match was cancelled. This programme belonged to the keeper himself and was the proof copy sent to him for approval before printing took place, nothing was subsequently printed due to the postponement, so hopefully where there's one there may only be one! I'm hoping so as I paid just shy of £7k but expect to turn a decent profit should I ever have to sell

The keeper in question was Arthur Prilfool who made his Chertsey debut between the sticks for their colts team aged just 11 in 1922 and kept goal on 1500 occasions at all levels through to the 1967/8 season by which time he was 56. He even managed to keep a clean sheet in his last game!

I am afraid yours is not the only one ruud.

I picked one up at the last Manchester fair for a couple of pounds.

It was just in a box of odds and sods.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:09 pm 
Post subject:

OMG!!! I hope there's an April Fool in there somewhere! Otherwise, it's a case of Crying or Very sad and Mad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
wandererpaul

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:24 pm 
Post subject:

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:
OMG!!! I hope there's an April Fool in there somewhere! Otherwise, it's a case of Crying or Very sad and Mad

I think you have it Pete. Wink
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:35 pm 
Post subject:

Dorking wrote:
Pete

I have one

It was issued by LTA Robinson
Series = Football Stars of Today and Tomorrow

Don't know exact year of issue

Worth about £3

Year of issue was 1949.
Ruud Van Driver

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:49 pm 
Post subject:

bisphamseasider wrote:
I am afraid yours is not the only one ruud.

I picked one up at the last Manchester fair for a couple of pounds.

It was just in a box of odds and sods.

Story of my life Shocked

I have however now made mine a one-off by giving it punch holes

Arthur Prilfool would turn in his grave
Ruud Van Driver

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:55 pm 
Post subject:

1st April 1959

Morton v British Army XI

4 page programme, many Scottish clubs represented in the Army side

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:57 pm 
Post subject:

I was going to post something for April 1st but after reading Mal's Chertsey tale, anything else seems superfluous!

Nice one, mate Smile
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:48 am 
Post subject:

Moving on to 2nd April thankfully (1949)

Football League, Division III (South)

Att: 16,501

Crystal Palace 1 (Kurz), Norwich City 1 (Church)

I've shown Fred Kurz before lifted from this photo as he scored almost every time I showed a programme in his era. Here's the full photo with City keeper Ken Nethercott gathering a cross to thwart the on-rushing Freddie. The terrace behind is the Park Road side where the 1969-built Arthur Wait Stand, er, stands. It's a healthy crowd with Palace firmly 22nd of 22 and Norwich mid table.

I don't know who the Palace player is in the background - perhaps Mr Nutfield can help there?
nutfield priory

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:15 pm 
Post subject:

Pete

Are you able to lift the player behind Fred Kurz, difficult to determine without a blown up picture, as far as I can see, I am unable to do this with the picture you have shown.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:20 am 
Post subject:

3rd April 1976

FA Cup, Semi Final (at Stamford Bridge)

Att: 51,810

Crystal Palace 0, Southampton 2 (Peach pen, Gilchrist)

Alan Whittle leaves Peter Rodrigues trailing but it's all in vain. Even so, this was Palace's first ever semi final in the 71st year of our existence, and this year - 40 years later - we're in our fourth. I somehow think the fans of the first 70 years (3 re-elections, 3 successive non-league cup defeats, 40 straight seasons in the lowest flight - etc) would have rubbed their eyes in disbelief at the last 40 years. Anyway, 5 foot 2, eyes of blue.....

And my ticket

Maidonian

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:22 pm 
Post subject:

1976 and a 1-0 win at Gayfield in the Spring Cup. Eight page professionally printed programme printed maroon on white.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:32 pm 
Post subject:

Just think, Pete, if results had gone differently it could have been a Palace/Derby Final.

Might be 40 years now but I still maintain David Nish's goal was never offside.
I can recall reading a lengthy article arguing that this defeat was the start of Derby's subsequent decline (though no one realised it at the time).

United's goalscorer that day (Gordon Hill with both) would, 3 years later, sign for the Rams.

So, sadly, did the United manager (an appointment best forgotten).

Ruud Van Driver

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:40 pm 
Post subject:

derby1884 wrote:
I was going to post something for April 1st but after reading Mal's Chertsey tale, anything else seems superfluous!

Nice one, mate Smile

Thank you Steve. It helps being a compulsive liar Smile

3rd April 1961 & 1963

Leeds United away & home v Scunthorpe United

1960/1

Leeds lost 3-2 at Scunny with Jack Charlton scoring both the Leeds goals, one a penalty

Att. 8,725

1962/3

Leeds won 1-0 with Billy Bremner scoring the only goal of the game

Att. 15,783

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:54 pm 
Post subject:

Ruud Van Driver wrote:

Leeds lost 3-2 at Scunny with Jack Charlton scoring both the Leeds goals, one a penalty

I don't doubt that for one moment - just can't imagine Jack Charlton taking a penalty!
Was that a one-off or was he the designated taker at the time?
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:26 am 
Post subject:

4th April 1955

Floodlit Friendly

Att: 5,309

Crystal Palace 4 (Deakin 2, Berry, Belcher), Hamilton Academical 1 (Armit)

The Accies team on the back page

Peter Berry, younger brother of Johnny

Ruud Van Driver

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:25 am 
Post subject:

derby1884 wrote:
Ruud Van Driver wrote:

I don't doubt that for one moment - just can't imagine Jack Charlton taking a penalty!
Was that a one-off or was he the designated taker at the time?

I can't imagine it either. I've looked through my books and it would appear that when he scored a penalty v Scunthorpe 3/4/61 the usual penalty taker Bobby Cameron was not in the team despite appearing in the programme so perhaps Jack Charlton who after all was playing centre forward at the time may have been second choice?

He did score one other penalty on 2/3/63 when the usual penalty taker who by then was Billy Bremner was out of the team. The opposition? None other than Derby County in our 3-1 win at Fortress Elland Road!!

I have no record of him scoring another during normal time in a game and indeed no record of him missing one either, if anyone else knows different I'd like to know. Made me realise that unbelievably I've never read his autobiography so will have to add that to the list.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: