Football Programmes Centre

Nottingham Forest v Manchester City FA Cup 1974
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Nottingham Forest v Manchester City FA Cup 1974

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Team Sheet Collectors Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hydemaine

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:10 pm 
Post subject: Nottingham Forest v Manchester City FA Cup 1974

Was a full programme ever printed for this match?

I notice that this team sheet cost 25p. so was this a hastily re-arranged match and only a team sheet available?

Some great players on both sides in this one.

wandererpaul

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:38 pm 
Post subject:

Wasn't this one of those Sunday team sheets to enter the ground with?

Probably a full size programme too if have thought.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:19 pm 
Post subject:

Yes, it was when Sunday games started and officially the clubs couldn't charge entrance fees so they charged for a teamsheet or ticket.

I'd have thought there would be a proper programme though, Palace certainly issued them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
GreatBarrWolf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:38 pm 
Post subject:

I might be wrong but this was the winter of power cuts and miners strikes. Programmes during this winter were reduced in size and midweek games were kicking off at 2:30 as floodlit football was banned. The Arsenal v Wolves game was played mid-week with a 2.00pm kick-off and only a 4 page issue produced.
facup1939

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:35 pm 
Post subject:

Nottingham Forest beat Manchester City 4-1 and then were at home to Portsmouth in the 5th Round.
This was also played on a Sunday (17th Feb) and I have a full Forest programme for the fixture, along with a similar team sheet, although mine is priced at 50p.
Pompey also played two home Sunday games that season, against West Brom in the league and also in the 4th Round of the FA Cup against Orient.
On both occasions a full programme was issued, as well as team sheets.
There were however team sheets in different colours, with different prices, depending upon where you were in the ground. I have three from each game, but there are probably more.
Pete and Paul are quite correct, it was to get around the Sunday trading laws. The clubs were not allowed to charge entrance fees, so you purchased a team sheet, and entry was free.
If I remember rightly, the club had to provide a free turnstile for those people who objected, but did not have to advertise which turnstile it was.
Karb

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:42 pm 
Post subject:

The clue is in the "OAP" at the bottom right. This was clearly the sheet that got you admission, 25p for OAPs, and 50p for facup1939's full price one.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Team Sheet Collectors Section All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: