Football Programmes Centre

March 2016
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
March 2016
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:15 pm 
Post subject:

39 years ago (1976/7 season) and a schoolboy under 15 international between England and Northern Ireland.

The match was played at Blackpool’s Bloomfield Road ground.

Not many of the players on show made it to the big time but those that did included Gary Mills, Nicky Law and Mark Chamberlain.

The programme is 8 pages and was printed locally by United Printing Services, the printer of the Blackpool programme.

yachtsmun

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:31 am 
Post subject:

6th March 1954 - I.W. Senior (Gold) Cup Final @ Church Litten, Newport

Newport 5 - 2 Cowes - Att. 2775

The 'Gold Cup' is reputedly the most valuable trophy in British football, made as it is from solid gold. I'll tell you a story or two about the trophy and its escapades sometime...

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:41 am 
Post subject:

6th March 1976 (40 years ago today)

FA Cup, 6th Round

Att: 50,850

Sunderland 0, Crystal Palace 1 (Whittle)

I joined the Rail Travellers Club this season and the organisers (led by the infamous Palace fan Chris Wright) produced this 8pp leaflet for this match.

As it happens, the train I was on broke down somewhere in the Midlands and BR arranged for a replacement engine to take us up to the North East. Thus we arrived at Sunderland station at about kick-off time and by the time we got to Roker it wasn't far short of half time. The place was packed so we had to wait till supporters went to the loos and the bars for space to let us into. As soon as my mate & I got in we found we were at the home end, and witnessed the most brilliant Palace performance and the goal below from Scouser Alan Whittle, who controlled a cross from the superb Peter Taylor and whacked it in. Somehow Phil & I retained our composure as bedlam broke out all around us. On the way back to the station afterwards, anyone wearing a Big Mal fedora was whipped out and given a kicking, again a fate dodged by Phil & I. I reckon we got off lightly.

Jubilation in the away dressing room after the game

As a post-script to this, BR apologized to Palace fans for the inconvenience they caused and offered all CPFC fans travel for £1 to a future Palace away game, probably thinking that would be to wherever the FA Cup semi final would be held. But no - it was to Mansfield Town two weeks later. Thus about 6,000 Palace fans made the journey to Field Mill, probably the most inconveniently situated ground in the country for railway travel, and a fleet of buses and coaches were lined up at whatever station it was to ferry us all to our destination.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
yachtsmun

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:14 am 
Post subject:

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:
On the way back to the station afterwards, anyone wearing a Big Mal fedora was whipped out and given a kicking, again a fate dodged by Phil & I. I reckon we got off lightly.

I can happily report a similar escape. I'm not a Portsmouth fan, as such, but as a random visitor to the NE in November 1993 I stood on the away end for Pompey's 2-1 win at Roker. A good crowd of locals were waiting for the away support as they exited afterwards and a couple of lads seemed to take a particularly keen interest in tracing my movements. Thankfully they got put off when I went through the main club entrance en-route to the players' lounge to say hello to former Cowes favourite Jamie Lawrence (later Leicester, Bradford et al) who had recently signed for Sunderland. By the time I got back to the station there were Pompey fans with bloody noses and worse everywhere...
Dinky

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:40 am 
Post subject:

1971 Hamilton 0-3 Dumbarton

Charlie did indeed win the league the following season
Five and In

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:30 am 
Post subject:

6th March 1976 (40 years ago today)

FA Cup, 6th Round

Att: 50,850

Sunderland 0, Crystal Palace 1 (Whittle)

I joined the Rail Travellers Club this season and the organisers (led by the infamous Palace fan Chris Wright) produced this 8pp leaflet for this match.

As it happens, the train I was on broke down somewhere in the Midlands and BR arranged for a replacement engine to take us up to the North East. Thus we arrived at Sunderland station at about kick-off time and by the time we got to Roker it wasn't far short of half time. The place was packed so we had to wait till supporters went to the loos and the bars for space to let us into. As soon as my mate & I got in we found we were at the home end, and witnessed the most brilliant Palace performance and the goal below from Scouser Alan Whittle, who controlled a cross from the superb Peter Taylor and whacked it in. Somehow Phil & I retained our composure as bedlam broke out all around us. On the way back to the station afterwards, anyone wearing a Big Mal fedora was whipped out and given a kicking, again a fate dodged by Phil & I. I reckon we got off lightly.

Jubilation in the away dressing room after the game

As a post-script to this, BR apologized to Palace fans for the inconvenience they caused and offered all CPFC fans travel for £1 to a future Palace away game, probably thinking that would be to wherever the FA Cup semi final would be held. But no - it was to Mansfield Town two weeks later. Thus about 6,000 Palace fans made the journey to Field Mill, probably the most inconveniently situated ground in the country for railway travel, and a fleet of buses and coaches were lined up at whatever station it was to ferry us all to our destination.

Great story Pete. I am sure most of us have had similar experiences over the years.
One season in the 1980's, I had arranged to meet some Gooner mates for a pre match drink before going to our respective ends at Highbury for the North London Derby. The Gooner mates I had gone with had made me promise up front "mouth shut and no colours" which I had agreed to. In the pub I felt eyes burning into me from all angles and had no idea why until a friendly Arsenal fan suggested I "covered my chicken on a football up" - I wear a gold Spurs cockerel on a chain around my neck and it had come out from my shirt into full view!!

In 1982, I equally survived walking into the wrong pub in Wolverhampton wearing a "Who's afraid of the big bad wolf" t shirt that we had made for the 1981 Semi Final, depicting a cockerel strangling a wolf!!
Five and In

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:51 am 
Post subject: March 2016

6th March 1993 - Division One
West Ham 3 (Dicks, Morley, Holmes) Wolves 1 (Bull)
Attendance - 24,679

A really classy effort by West Ham to commemorate the passing of the great Bobby Moore. with over half of the 48 pages covering his career in photos and stories about him.
There is one page that sums it up perfectly. A full page advert from a car dealer simply saying "Bobby, Words are inadequate"

Maidonian

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:20 pm 
Post subject:

1976 and the start of the Spring Cup competition with Stenhousemuir losing 2-0 at home to Arbroath in section 4. Albion Rovers and Dumbarton were the other two teams in the group. Standard four page outer pre-printed cover with the usual poor quality typed and duplicated insert.

Ruud Van Driver

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:34 pm 
Post subject:

6th March 1965

Friendly 'Challenge Match'

Greenock Morton 2 Stoke City 1

Sir Stanley Matthews had called time on his league career a month earlier at the age of 50 but appeared in this game, he had been knighted 2 months earlier

8 page programme, 4 of them here

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:59 pm 
Post subject:

53 years ago and a Wednesday 3pm kick-off at Stamford Bridge.

Chelsea won 4-1.

Confusion on the pitch? Note the colours the two teams are wearing....

colchestersid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:49 pm 
Post subject:

West Ham Youth v Birmingham City Youth, 6th March 1967

Trevor Brooking and Frank Lampard playing for West Ham, Bob and David Latchford for Birmingham, a 1-1 draw with Birmingham winning the replay

Of rather more significance to me (and probably no one else), I arrived in the world about the start of the second half .... happy birthday to me!!

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:05 am 
Post subject:

Wednesday, 7th March 1962 - 2:45 kick off - hence awful gate.

Football League, Division III

Att: 3,606

Bradford Park Avenue 2, Crystal Palace 0

Not much to write home about for Palace fans so I'll concentrate on the Avenue line-up, where I spotted Dick at No 6, Ham at 7 and Spratt at 8. Mouth-watering stuff. Player-manager at No 4 was Jimmy Scoular, pictured here a few years later when manager of Cardiff City.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
yachtsmun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:20 am 
Post subject:

7th March 1964 - Reading 'A' v Cowes (Hampshire League Division 1)

Single sheet, printed one side only. Result and attendance not known at present. Home side forgot their shorts so had to play in underwear.

Anyone know if Reading 'A' matches were played at Elm Park at this time?

yachtsmun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:55 am 
Post subject:

Wow! Lovely cover - not seen that one before.
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:32 am 
Post subject:

74 years ago (1941/2 season) and a North Regional Football League 2nd Competition between Blackpool and Burnley.

This was one of Blackpool’s highest war time results with victory by 13 goals to nil.

The goals came from Dodds 5, Mortensen 4, Jones C. 2 and Burbanks 2.

The previous week the Seasiders had put 15 past Tranmere Rovers.

The programme is a standard war time issue but with a blank back cover.

Maidonian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:07 pm 
Post subject:

Hamilton Academical's programme for 1969/70 season.... not much different from 1970/71 season (see Dinky's post yesterday)

Hamilton won 3-2 but ended up bottom of the table, Stenhousemuir finished 16th.
Ruud Van Driver

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:08 pm 
Post subject:

7th March 1978

Leeds United Youth 0 Crystal Palace 1 (Offside)

FA Youth Cup 4th Round Replay

Four page programme, the two pages not shown have pen pics of the players involved (On my Twitter if you wish to see them)

I don't know the scorer, over to you Pete and hopefully a photo of the goal itself?

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:42 pm 
Post subject:

43 years ago, quarter-final (1st leg) of the European Cup.

Spartak Trnava 1
Derby 0
att: 28,000

No matter, we won the second leg 2-0 - and so onwards to the semi-final with Juventus.

And THAT referee....

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:03 pm 
Post subject:

Ruud Van Driver wrote:
7th March 1978

Leeds United Youth 0 Crystal Palace 1 (Offside)

FA Youth Cup 4th Round Replay

Four page programme, the two pages not shown have pen pics of the players involved (On my Twitter if you wish to see them)

I don't know the scorer, over to you Pete and hopefully a photo of the goal itself?

Close, Ruud, but no cigar. The scorer of the winning goal at Elland Road was Steve Lovell

And this is action from the first game, a goalless draw at Selhurst - Jerry Murphy getting a shot in

Dinky

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:31 am 
Post subject:

2-0 Celtic Conroy , McLeod (18500) the last time East Stirling reached Q / f. The programme contained programme last
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: