Football Programmes Centre

February 2016
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
February 2016
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:59 am 
Post subject: February 2016

1st February 1975

Football League, Division III

Att: 15,046

Crystal Palace 2 (Swindlehurst 2), Bury 2

Big Dave

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
nutfield priory

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:00 pm 
Post subject: Re: February 2016

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:
1st February 1975

Football League, Division III

Att: 15,046

Crystal Palace 2 (Swindlehurst 2), Bury 2

Big Dave

David Swindlehurst scoring in the above match
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:17 pm 
Post subject:

58 years ago (1957/8 season) and a 1st Division fixture between Aston Villa and Blackpool.

The programme is a 12 page issue with plenty of reading and including fixtures for the Birmingham and District League, the Warwickshire Football Combination and the Midland Mid-Week League.

The match ended 1-1 with Taylor getting the Blackpool goal.

The attendance was around 45,000.

Maidonian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:36 pm 
Post subject:

1975 and 4-1 defeat to St Mirren at Love Street.

Ruud Van Driver

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:48 pm 
Post subject:

1st February 1958

Bolton Wanderers 0 Leeds United 2

Att. 18,558

Goals scored by Forrest & Cush

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:01 am 
Post subject:

2nd February 1946

Football League Third Division South Cup, Qualifying Competition (South)

Att: 8,000 (est)

Crystal Palace 6 (Lievesley 3, Reece 2, G Lewis), Aldershot 0

Match details lovingly compiled inside by the previous owner (including the holes). Shots team includes a certain Summerbee as captain - see January for a discussion about his bloodline.

Hat-trick hero Les Lievesley

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
badhand

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:51 am 
Post subject:

F.A. Cup 4th Round, 2.2.52

Southend United 2 (Stubbs, French) Bristol Rovers 1 (Bradford).

The game was played at the old Southend Stadium in front of a crowd of 22424.

The match was covered by Pathe News.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26ffgV-kQY8

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:40 pm 
Post subject:

70 years ago (1945/6 season) and a Football League North fixture between Manchester United and Blackpool.

The programme is a single sheet with fixtures on the front and team line-ups on the reverse.

United won 4-2 with goals from Bainbridge, Rowley (2) and Wrigglesworth. Mortensen scored both Blackpool’s goals.

wandererpaul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:03 pm 
Post subject:

As with the other monthly threads, some nice items on show. Cool

Need to sort out my collection and scan them all too! Wink

Been busy doing programme articles for the Brentford programme. Very Happy

Developing an idea for next seasons issue too. Smile
Maidonian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:41 pm 
Post subject:

1974 and a 4-0 defeat against Queen of the South. Usual pre-printed outer four page cover with a typed and duplicated four page insert featuring an editorial commenting on the start of Sunday football...

Ruud Van Driver

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:16 pm 
Post subject:

2nd February 1957

Aston Villa 1 (Pace) Leeds United 1 (Forrest)

Att. 39.432

Like the Ansells ad in this one

Ruud Van Driver

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:53 am 
Post subject:

2nd February 1974

Leeds United 1 (Cherry) Chelsea 1 (Garner)

Att. 41,510

A point for Leeds at fortress Elland Road on their way to the Division 1 title Smile

2nd February 1985

Newcastle United 1 Leeds United 0 - FA Youth Cup 3rd Round

After defeating the Man Utd Youth side in the 2nd round, Leeds went out at Newcastle by a goal to nil for the second season running

A 17 year old Gazza was in the Newcastle line-up that would go on to lift the trophy with Gascoigne as captain, he scored twice in the final, a 4-1 win at Watford. Two months later he made his first team debut as sub v QPR

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:22 am 
Post subject:

3rd February 1973 - my 17th birthday - which means, sleuths, that today 3rd February 2016 is............

FA Cup, 4th Round

Att: 35,156

Sheffield Wednesday 1 (Craig, pen), Crystal Palace 1 (Craven)

John Craven (RIP)

I must recount this tale of my 17th birthday. I apologise for its longevity. Still at school, in A-level year, 6 of us decided to go to Sheffield as one of our number, who was a bit older (and wealthier!), had passed his driving test and had a car of his own. I think it was a Vauxhall Viva estate, if there was such a thing. Anyway, 6 of us crammed in and off we went across London as there was no M25.

Up the A1 and A1M in parts, no problem at all until we got a sign for Great Ponton, which may be in Nottinghamshire, and the car packed up, smoke billowing from under the bonnet. I would guess it was about mid-day by then. We decanted the car and split into 2 groups of 3. Very quickly, my group got a lift up the A1 to about level on the map between Sheffield & Doncaster. The bloke dropped us off, it was about 1 pm. 2 hours to get to Sheffield, on foot, by bus, by cadging a lift - no problem, surely.

We walked West and we walked and we walked and no bus came and no cars came so at about 3:30 pm we landed in a small town called Goldthorpe. At 3:45 we stood outside Radio Rentals and watched Dickie Davies reel off the half-time scores.

We then asked for directions to whichever was nearer, Sheffield or Doncaster. Donny, we were told, and there were buses round the corner every so often. And so we got a bus to Doncaster and our thinking was to get to the railway station. On our walk into town we noticed a Police Station and stood there a while, pondering our next step. How much money did we have between us? Not a lot, enough for entrance fees and a pie, probably. Was that enough for 3 train fares to London and then across London and then home by bus? Let's ask a policeman.

Oh dear, he said. You are stymied. You don't have enough for 3 train fares. Sit there a while and we'll think of something. So we sat and eventually out came Mr Plod and said they were putting us on a train to Grantham, the nearest town to Great Ponton, and they had booked us into a room over a pub. So off we went and reached the pub, where we spent an hour or two playing darts with the locals. We didn't have much to drink as didn't have much money, but I do recall us putting the clock in our room out on the window sill as its loud tick was keeping us awake, and I think I won the farting competition.

At this stage we had no idea what had happened to the other 3 in our party. We didn't find out till Monday back at school, but the answer was not a lot as, with the car abandoned on the hard shoulder, they didn't get very far North and went back to the car, found a phone and called home. One of their dads drove North that afternoon and sorted it out, as Dads do. But of course, they had no idea where we were.

The Police had contacted our parents that evening and my dad was unable to come North as he was working shifts at the power station so couldn't make it, but the other 2 fathers drove up and met us in the pub at about mid-day on Sunday. As you might imagine, they weren't best pleased and it wasn't a fun-filled journey back to London.

It was however, character-building and I shall never forget it. And as yet, I have never been to Hillsborough. But I did go to the replay, and 2nd replay........
yachtsmun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:29 am 
Post subject:

Happy birthday Pete - and great story too Laughing
Five and In

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:15 am 
Post subject: February 2016

Brilliant story Pete. Happy Birthday.
seand

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:19 am 
Post subject:

Happy birthday Pete, and thanks for your contribution to the programme from this day threads (and the other threads). Easy
PompeyPhil

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:52 am 
Post subject:

Hi Pete, Great Story and Happy Birthday.....you share it with my daughter Amy who is 21 today! I,m starting to feel old now........have a good one! PS Is it the loudest or smelliest fart that wins? Laughing
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:59 pm 
Post subject:

Happy birthday Pete.

Nice photo of John Craven, one of my Blackpool favourites. Thumbs Up
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:15 pm 
Post subject:

62 years ago (1953/4 season) and an FA Cup 4th Rd replay between Blackpool and West Ham United.

The programme was a departure from the normal 8 page ones issued during this season and was just a 4 page issue.

Pen pictures of West Ham were on page 2, continued onto page 4 together with a 3 match half time scoreboard, and team line-ups were on page 3.

Blackpool won 3-1 with goals from Perry 2 and Brown in front of 27,120.

Ruud Van Driver

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:10 pm 
Post subject:

Happy Birthday Pete, hope you've had a nice day Thumbs Up

When Pete was just 12.....

3rd February 1968

Leicester City 2 Leeds United 2 - Div1

Att. 30,081

Stringfellow & Large for Leicester, Madeley & Giles for Leeds

Great aerial view of Filbert Street and the car park

And on the day that Pete turned 17 and was enjoying a mystery tour of the north of England....

3rd February 1973

Leeds United 2 Plymouth Argyle 1 - FAC4

Att. 38,374

Clarke & Bates for Leeds with Rickard scoring for Argyle. Bates appeared on the front of the League Football/FLR that accompanied the programme

The programme also has the Plymouth Argyle Collectors Club token instead of token number 22 on the front cover along with a great picture of Billy Bremner

| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: