Football Programmes Centre

4 goals and never saw one.
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
4 goals and never saw one.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:09 pm 
Post subject: 4 goals and never saw one.

Yesterday, the little un, along with his mate, and myself went down to watch the World's oldest club Sheffield FC entertain Chasetown in the Northern Premier Division 1 South.

In what was a very entertaining 1st half, especially given the pitch, on 35 minutes in order to beat the rush, I was persuaded to frequent the pub outside (Coach and Horses), as I entered I heard a cheer and shortly afterwards one of the locals came in and said 'Club' were 1-0 down.

We normally sit in the corner next to the mock fire, it doesn't work but it looks the part. Yesterday there were a few familiar faces in, and so I spent a tad longer than usual.

We came out just as we heard another cheer, 2-0 damn missed another one, still it seemed the perfect opportunity to nip back to the pub and use their toilet, whilst there the little un came charging in and said it was three nil.

Not my day I thought, anyway back into the freezing cold went to deposit the programme and teamsheet in the reliant when another went in. Great. plenty more goals to see......but no it finished 4-0. Sad

Four goals and never saw any of them !!!!!!

Anyone ever had something similiar happen been at a match and missed the really important events??? Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
kenners46

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:46 pm 
Post subject:

Not as bad as 4 but 3 for me. Went to watch Wimbledon in the early 1980s and was going out on a hot date so needed to leave bang on 90 minutes to avoid the traffic. So 90 minutes on the clock and off I go racing back to the car Wimbledon losing 1-0 when I hear a cheer, bugger 1-1. It was only the next day I found the score was 2-2.
mcfc56

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:11 pm 
Post subject:

3 goals for me too.

Birmingham v Manchester City 1997/98 season

Urgent call of nature around the 90th minute, heard a roar as I came out of the gents, City had just scored to lead 1-0, the usual mixture of happiness at the goal but irritation at missing it. I looked at my watch, reckoned it was 2 mins into stoppage time so decided to leg it to the car for a quick getaway.

Got to the car, drove off, put Radio 5 on for the final scores...

"Birmingham City 2 Manchester City 1"

Thought that can't be right but it was, the ref had allowed SEVEN mins stoppage time and Brum had scored twice after going behind. The weird thing was that I never heard any big roars as I made my way back to the car, maybe most of the Brummies had also left after the first goal.
martino

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:16 pm 
Post subject:

This is an interesting story where the Pompey Manager, Eddie Lever, missed a Pompey goal at Tottenham.

The match review of a 1-1- draw away at Tottenham in the Evening News of 12th March 1956 bore the headline “Manager Did Not See Equalizer”. The following is a copy of the report;

“Of the 43,000 and more spectators at Saturday’s game at White Hart Lane, one man did not know that Pompey had equalized one minute after Tottenham had scored.

A few minutes from the end Pompey Manager, Mr J E Lever, sitting next to the Chief Trainer (Mr W Wright) still did not know Rees had scored.

Sitting in the stand with ten minutes to go he had seen Blanchflower and Marchi of Spurs begin the move from which Smith put his side in front.

With valuable seconds ticking away the Pompey Manager left his seat.

His object was to walk down to the Chief Trainer to give the order for Mansell to move up into attack. It meant going through a series of long passages at the back of the stand and through a tunnel to the trainer’s enclosure.

And while he was in the passage behind the ground, Rees scored his goal. The Pompey supporters cheered their heads off but it did not penetrate to Mr Lever, still anxiously picking his way through the passages.

By the time he did reach his destination, Pompey were on the attack again – this time for the winner and not, as Mr Lever thought, the equalizer.

He delayed the order for Mansell to switch to inside-left and Barnard and Dickinson to drop back for it looked as though that goal might come.

But Reynolds who must have made half-a-dozen great saves throughout the game was still a match for all that Harris and Rees could send against him.

The attack failed and Mr Lever gave the word.

And only then did he learn from his trainer, who was beginning to wonder, that his team were on terms.

An astonished, but 100% happier Pompey Manager, now saw that Spurs were making their final effort and as an away point is always an achievement in any case, his order was never given.

Thus the Referee’s whistle brought an uneasy episode of the White Hart Lane “underworld” to an unexpectedly happy conclusion for Mr Lever, who told the story against himself afterwards.”
GreatBarrWolf

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:19 am 
Post subject:

Can't beat your four goals, however, my cousin can almost match it. Throughout the 80's we travelled all over the country and missed hardly any games. As Wolves tumbled from the First Division to the Fourth in consecutive seasons in 1984-85 we went 7 conecutive games without scoring until Ray Hankin (who must have been weighing over 20 stone at the time) bundled in a consolation goal in a 1-4 defeat at Notts County. Unfortunately my cousin had nipped out for a pee and missed our first goal in over 12 hours of football. He wasn't too pleased and had to wait a further three games before we scored again. God - we were shite in that season and were lucky to finish bottom.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:50 am 
Post subject:

22nd September 2012. Palace v Cardiff.

My partner, who is in a theatre club, was booking tickets for a play in London which I also wanted to go to. I can't remember now what it was. It was to be on a Saturday in September and would also involve a pre-match meal. This was probably 6 months or so before, long before the fixtures came out. So she got me a ticket.

It turned out it was the above date and Palace were playing Cardiff. Our arrangement was to leave home at about 4:30 to get to London at about 6:00 and to have our meal.

I reasoned that I could watch till about 5 minutes into the second half when I would have to leave. I had never done this before.

Half time, it's 0-2. Palace had played well but had let in 2 daft goals and also hadn't recovered from 2-0 down for about 100 years. As I made my way out of the ground I heard a roar. It must be 1-2, I thought. I got back to my car and I was right. 1-2.

Driving home we equalised. And then we scored again. Wonderful.

We won 3-2 and Glenn Murray scored a hat-trick. And I missed all 3 goals.

Get My Coat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Five and In

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:00 am 
Post subject: 4 goals and never saw one

Luckily for me, me missed goals did not involve my beloved Tottenham, as I never left before the end of a game.
In the late seventies, I worked in a printers in East London with 100% Arsenal colleagues and bosses. If Arsenal had a night match, I would tag along with them.
Without fail at every match, with about 5 minutes to go, they would leave. I never understood that, and still don't. Let's face it, you don't leave the cinema before the film ends do you?
Anyway, I had no choice, but to leave with them as I didn't drive at the time and they were my lift home. Almost without exception as we walked out of Highbury, there would be a roar and then the inevitable questions "who scored?" which we then had to find out on the car radio!
Once I could drive, I would still go with them, but always stood in the Clock End with the away fans and stay for 90 minutes!!
corneli_blue

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:06 am 
Post subject:

Cardiff City 4 Newcastle United 4 - First game of the 1962-63 season. I was only 11 and as a birthday treat my dad took me on the terrace for the second time (also seen Spurs in 1961-62).

I moaned most of the game as I couldn't see anything. My dad picked me up from time to time but never when the goals were going in.

Eight goals and didn't see any of them.

My father mustn't have been too happy with my moaning. My next game was a treat for Christmas and we went in the Canton Stand this time, I could see everything and I was hooked.
pafcprogs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:26 pm 
Post subject:

Various:

Previously mentioned trip to Millwall with my three daughters....one decided she needed a pee so I walked her down to the loos and Vincent Pericard nodded in a corner...luckily I could at least watch on the TV monitors under the stand....

Tool my eldest to Watfrd Argyle...at that time she had been to about five games and we hadn't scored....went under the stand at half time to get provisions and we were last to be served...

As we walked back in to the Argyle end it erupted as we scored ...poor little thing nearly jumped out of her skin as she had no idea why everyone was suddenly leaping about.

We left five minutes before the end ( IE as the board went up) and of course Watford equalised in injury time....Imogen was so exited she had seen Argyle win I didn't break it to her until about ten years later that it was a draw and we missed both goals...

Finally there is a classic true story about Dave Smith who always went to the dressing room just before half time to compose himself for the half time team talk.

One day at Reading during that time Argyle scored. Second half was goalless and so all was contentment . Ciderman as he was known, was on the coach home and commented on it being a good point, to the bemusement of the players and other coaches....no-one had thought to mention we had scored before half time and Smith was oblivious that the draw was in fact an away win...

Legend!
seand

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:01 pm 
Post subject:

I managed to miss three goals in one incident. Back in the mid-90s to early 00s my regular football commute for Dundalk home games at 7:45 on a Thursday evening was a race for the train from work in Dublin to Dundalk. There was a train at about 6:30 which was supposed to get in to Dundalk about 7:35. The ground is quite literally a 5 minute walk from the station. As was so often the case, Irish Rail deposited me in Dundalk at about 7:50 when we were hosting St Francis in the First Division one evening in around 2001. I heard a roar on the platform, another in the car park and a third at the turnstiles. 3-0 up after 12 minutes. 5-0 at halftime and 7-0 full time so at least I saw some goals.
PompeyPhil

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:33 pm 
Post subject:

Portsmouth 3 v 3 Leeds Utd. Tuesday 17th October 1989 2nd Division. Attendance: 10,264.

High Flying Leeds came to Fratton Park for a Tuesday night game under the Floodlights and played Pompey off the Park taking a 3 v 1 lead........the game looked to be over and with minutes to spare a large number of the home faithful including yours truly decided enough was enough it was time to go, work tomorrow and all that......as I rounded the corner by the bottom of Specks Lane heading towards Milton Road a cheer went up......Leeds had quite a following that night so we all looked at each other and said four one.......by the time I reached Milton Road another cheer went up and a very excited taxi driver stopped and wound down his car window and shouted three all, it finished three all!! I later found out that Guy Whittingham had scored two late goals to snatch a point and I have never left a game before the final whistle since that day!! No
Davee59

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:04 pm 
Post subject: 4 GOALS AND NEVER SAW ONE

That heading reminded me of when I was a young lad and I lived in Gloucester. My best mate was a Chelsea fan and as a treat his parents took us to a midweek game West Brom v Chelsea. We set off in the car but just before we hit Worcester the car came to a halt. The AA man eventually arrived but the car needed major surgery. We got a lift into the nearest motorway services and we were treated to a slap up meal, only for me to pour sugar (I thought it was salt!) all over mine. So I had to sit there and eat my meal despite it tasting horrible. We had realised it was too late to get to the game and so we went to a train station to make our way home, only for the train to break down. Talk about bad luck. Eventually we caught another train which had a few fans who had been to the game, only to find out that the score was 4-0 to the Baggies, and I had never seen any of them! Surprised
yachtsmun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:20 pm 
Post subject:

Didn't George Best and Bobby Charlton miss the two Manchester United goals in the 1999 European Cup Final because they left at 90 minutes, or is that an urban myth?
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:15 pm 
Post subject:

Some good stories boys....always liked that bloke from Luton on that tele programme 'Football's hardest Away days' who supported 'East Fife'.

Telling his missus that he couldn't take the daughter horse riding or something like because it was the 'big one' that weekend. 'Cowdenbeath away'.

early rise, bus, plane two more buses and when he finally got there missed their goal going to the toilet. Laughing
GrestytheLion

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:24 pm 
Post subject:

Went to Northampton one evening to watch my team Crewe play but on arrival the game had been called off due to high winds, that had made the main stands roof unstable. This was the days that Northampton played at the County Ground.
Racing home we worked out that my local team Gillingham were playing that night so with my brother we thought we would at least take in a game. We managed to get to the ground around five minutes late and as I walked into the ground Gillingham scored missing the first goal as we hadn't yet made it up the stairs before turning onto the terraces. The second went in whilst I was spending a penny and the third when I went to get some food. Final score 2-1 and I didn't see any of the goals going in, whilst being in the ground for all three. Crying or Very sad
DonQuixote

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:01 am 
Post subject:

You could bid seven no trumps and I'd still double it with my story (Bridge thing for those who play)....

..how about missing 11 goals in one match??????

Back in the 90s on the odd occasion I had to occasionally go into the office on a Saturday which was a bit of a pisser but hey ho.

During early 1997, Romford were at home to Hemel Hempstead and a few days before the game, a work colleague asked me if it would be okay for his son to come to the game and film the action for a University thesis thingy.

Having checked with the powers that be we were good to go and I was quite pleased that I'd be able to see all the action, regardless.

I kept in touch with friends at the game and a 6-1 half-time scoreline ended up 9-2 to Romford but unfortunately, friend's son, who wasn't the brightest star in the solar system, had decided to mess around with his camera each and every time a goal went in....
I kid ye not, he had over 30 minutes of footage but not one of the goals...
Sad
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:09 pm 
Post subject:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Well, it got better last night.....just.

I was stood on the terracing at Staveley Miners Welfare last night, when we decided to amble around to the clubhouse, they do a rather nice cottage pie, and having not had anything to eat since the morning it seemed a perfect opportunity to beat the half time rush and wash it down with an Amstel to boot.

As we walked behind the dug outs, out of view, Staveley scored.

The supporters who stand on the verandah shield the play from the clubhouse so when Clipstone equalised on the stroke of half time, I had to imagine it.

Dragged the little uns out from the warmth who were watching Watford and Chelsea, just after half time to be informed that it was now 2-1, glad somebody told me.

Finally, in the last minute I managed to see a goal Clap
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: