Football Programmes Centre

Isle of Wight progs collector
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Isle of Wight progs collector
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Welcome
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yachtsmun

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:11 pm 
Post subject:

Actually, my real holy grail would probably be a programme/teamcard (if indeed there was one) from 16th December 1899, home to Tottenham Hotspur in the Southern League Div. 1. We lost 1-6, and withdrew from the league a few days later. Probably a pretty pricey one if it ever came up though...

A year or so before we did also host Arsenal in a friendly (Boxing Day, I think, 5-0 to Cowes if I recall) - I'll have to dig out and verify the details on that one.
saint clarkie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:00 pm 
Post subject: newbie

Seaside Mark,

I maybe able to help with 1 or 2 saints reserves as i have a few spare from that era, also if you pass on his name i will check through my collection and give you a list of the games he was in the line up for.

Ian
SeasideMark

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:15 pm 
Post subject:

Brilliant - thanks Ian. He played in both the late 50s Youth Cup semis v Man U and Chelsea. He's looking for those programmes as well. Hell of a nice guy - just wish I'd noted his name!!! If you can give me the SFC line ups from those games I will get it straight away!
saint clarkie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:19 pm 
Post subject: newbie

Mark

Leave it with me.

ian
saint clarkie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:18 pm 
Post subject: welcombe

Mark,

here is a picture of the chelsea away.

The saints line up is;charles, williams, heaney, harley, mclean, scurr, fryer,thorne,stratton,vine + sydenham

Hope it helps

ian
yachtsmun

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:49 pm 
Post subject:

Looking at the above Saints team, three names match up with Cowes players in the early 1960's - McLean, Fryer and Harley. McLean had been playing for us since the mid-50's, so most likely Peter Harley or L. Fryer I'd guess. All three are in below pic from 61-2.

Tigerhawk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:42 pm 
Post subject:

I need just two programmes to complete every competitive game that Havant & Waterlooville have played since their formation and they both happen to be against Cowes in the Hampshire Senior Cup, both matches were played in Cowes 98/99 and 06/07, any help in picking these two up would be appreciated.
SeasideMark

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:19 pm 
Post subject:

my man is McLean! Any saints reserves spares will be gratefully accepted. let me know what you wan for them please, Similarly any Cowes spares. It will make his Christmas!
Cheers lads - this forum always comes up trumps!
Mark
yachtsmun

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:18 am 
Post subject:

Seaside Mark - McLean eh? Shows what I know! I'll almost definitely have something - I'll root them out a.s.a.p. Are you 100% sure it's McLean though? Looking at my progs we had a McLean playing pretty consistently from 1955-1963 or so, meaning he'd have had three years playing for Cowes before that Saints Youth prog. Also, the guy in the pic I posted earlier looks a bit old maybe for a Saints Youth player four years previously? They could have been different players, I guess, although if it were, both are an A. McLean.

Tigerhawk - I'll help you if I can but you'll have to leave it with me for a bit as all my modern-ish Cowes spares are packed away and fairly inaccessible currently. I'm more likely to be able to help with the 98-9 issue myself (a 5-0 win for H+W), but there's a fair chance someone at the club will have an 06-07 issue knocking around (that was a 3-2 win for H+W, absolutely cracking game). I'll check on both counts as soon as I can.
yachtsmun

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:07 am 
Post subject:

Seaside Mark - looking at some other pics, they *may* have been different players - hard to tell though. The one who played 55-60 seemed to be mostly outside-left, the one who played 61-2 was mostly centre-forward or on the right in midfield or up front, so I'll look for 61-2 progs in the main. If our man only played a season-or-so for Cowes then that's almost certainly him.
saint clarkie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:41 am 

Yachtsmun,

The Mclean in the saints youth was down as a centre half but of course he could have changed position when he got older.

Was Cowes involved in any other of those cup finals at the Dell ?

Mark
i will see if i can find any other spares with him in ? do you want a list of the games he was involved in as i have a fair few reserves from 57 - 62 ?

Ian
saint clarkie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:47 am 

Mark,

I have had a look at the man utd away youth cup semi and he is not in the line up ?

godfrey
stickler
walker
scurr
holmes
harley
sydenham
vine
maughan
simpson
paine

Can do a picture if you want me to?
He may have played in the home game ?

ian
yachtsmun

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:18 pm 
Post subject:

There's another player who went on to Cowes in that Saints v Man United line-up - Wes Maughan.

Saint Clarkie - yeah, Cowes were pretty regular visitors for the HSC Final for a long time. We won there in 1946 and 1948 (not got these progs), and also featured as losers in 1950, 1954, 1956 and 1958 (got all these progs). We also featured regularly through the 1920s and 1930s with a fair amount of success, but have never even heard of any HSC final programmes from the pre-war era. I'm sure some must have been issued though.

The first time the HSC final was played at The Dell was 1904 (Ryde v Pompey 'A'. Cowes' first visit there was in 1906 when we defeated HMS Excellent.
saint clarkie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:20 pm 

Yachtsmun,

Here is a picture of the intermediate cup final + senior cup final 1/4/1939.

Bramtoco v sr docks & marine (icf) and ryde sports v portsmouth gas co (scf)

Ian
saint clarkie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:24 pm 

I also have the Russell -coates cup final + hampshire junior cup final 1/4/1940

Cowes v Salisbury Corinthians 1 - 6

Ian
Tigerhawk

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:55 pm 
Post subject:

yachtsmun wrote:
Tigerhawk - I'll help you if I can but you'll have to leave it with me for a bit as all my modern-ish Cowes spares are packed away and fairly inaccessible currently. I'm more likely to be able to help with the 98-9 issue myself (a 5-0 win for H+W), but there's a fair chance someone at the club will have an 06-07 issue knocking around (that was a 3-2 win for H+W, absolutely cracking game). I'll check on both counts as soon as I can.

Thanks
SeasideMark

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:58 pm 
Post subject:

I was pretty certain he said McLean but I am 100% sure about the dates. Hopefully he will come in this week and I can check. Thanks for all your help guys.
yachtsmun

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:49 pm 
Post subject:

Mark - PM sent Smile
yachtsmun

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:59 pm 
Post subject:

Saint Clarkie - WOW! what a lovely couple of programmes they are. From the Ryde one it's great to know there *may* be the odd pre-war Cowes final around.

As for the wartime Cowes final, that's just wonderful. I've never even seen a wartime issue involving us before (Cowes stopped issuing for the duration of the war, I believe). I don't suppose you're of a mind to sell it, and I very much doubt I have anything special enough Saints-related to tempt an exchange, but I'd be delighted to cover your costs if you were able to send me decent copies (or scans) of the programme.
saint clarkie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:42 pm 

Yachtsmun,

Not looking to sell but can do a photo copy of them if you wish.

Matter of interest what saints items have you got ?

ian
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Welcome All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: