Football Programmes Centre

Isle of Wight progs collector
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Isle of Wight progs collector
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Welcome
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yachtsmun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:50 pm 
Post subject: Isle of Wight progs collector

Hi all - so this is me saying hello properly. I registered in 2009 and posted once but promptly lost a laptop and forgot my logins etc. Have been browsing again of late though and just got sucked in to posting again by Tynie Topics' post re. Gibraltar.

I predominantly collect Cowes (later Cowes Sports) F.C. issues, am up to around 2,500 now, although I have 1000+ other Isle of Wight clubs' programmes too.

I have to say, I marvel at the collections (and knowledge) of many of the members here. I love football ephemera in all its forms, although I pulled the plug on my own general collection a while back to concentrate on I.W.-related stuff. It amazes me that there isn't a wider interest in so many of the collections discussed on here (but then I guess trainspotters are amazed that more people aren't into that...)

Anyway, keep up the good work, everyone Smile

Toby
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:07 am 
Post subject:

Hi - you'll have noticed the 19th century Ryde FC programme on Sportingold's auction on Friday, then!

Must admit, I'm tempted...
yachtsmun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:27 am 
Post subject:

Hadn't seen that, no, although I'm very poor at checking out (or keeping up with) auction catalogues. I can't afford to spend out much on progs but will sometimes stretch the spends for Cowes items.

I'm pretty sure a bound volume of 'The Ryde Football Plan' from 1897-98 got broken up about five years ago. I've actually got three from that season for games involving Cowes - all in near mint condition aside from a few tell-tale pin pricks down the spine. The RFP was not an official Ryde FC publication, but like many issues of the era was put out by an enterprising local printer, and there are several issues I know of that don't involve Ryde FC or even matches played at their sadly missed Partlands home.

They are lovely programmes though, and well worth grabbing one if you can. I won't be bidding on that one, so good luck to you if you do...
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:39 am 
Post subject:

I think the one on the auction is a "Policemen v Firemen" match from 1898 so no doubt part of what you refer to.

I'm a one-per-club collector in terms of non-lge so not bothered about which programmes I have from the home club.

Got 67/8 Cowes v Christchurch (Hants Lge Div 2) and a Cowes Sports v Basingstoke reserves/Warsash (2-in-1) from sometime in the 80s.

On the off chance you need either of these, I'd be quite happy to exchange for any other home issue from the equivalent club (I class a "rename" as a new club).
yachtsmun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:44 am 
Post subject:

Ooh, the 67-8 v Christchurch is one of the few homes I don't have from that season. I could definitely do you a swap if you fancy as I have a good number of spares. What condition is it in? I'm not too fussy about ones I take in since so few of most games will have survived, but I'd want to make sure you got something back of similar age and condition.
Shotsman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:44 am 
Post subject: Isle of Wight Programmes

Hi Yachtsmun

I wonder if you can help on this one. The only post war Aldershot FA Cup programme I do not have is the match at Newport IOW in 1945/46. I have seen a copy of the programme for the preceding game when Newport beat Clapton but have never seen the Aldershot one. I am sure a programme was produced but have you ever seen a copy?

many thanks in advance
yachtsmun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:32 pm 
Post subject:

Shotsman - Hi - I've never seen that prog, no, but Newport were issuing regularly at the time (including for Hants Lge games) so it'd be surprising if they didn't issue for the Aldershot cup tie.

I'm no expert on Newport progs though. If you can track him down, the guy to ask is called Peter Ranger. Someone can probably put you in touch with him if you contact the club directly. If the programme exists, he'll almost certainly have a copy.
yachtsmun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:37 pm 
Post subject:

Derby 1884 - I forgot to say in my reply late last night, many thanks for your kind offer of a potential exchange. Aside from replacing your Cowes FC prog on a like-for-like basis, it seems only right I try and help you with your one-per-club mission too. are there any Wessex or I.W. clubs you're actively seeking? If yes, I can probably help. If not, there's a good chance I have some spares from our Hants League days that you might be interested in (Netley A.V., Warsash, Otterbourne, Malshanger perhaps?). These would take a bit longer to dig out though. Let me know. Cheers, Toby.
Shotsman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:40 pm 
Post subject: Isle of Wight Programmes

Thanks for the tip
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:19 pm 
Post subject: Re: Isle of Wight progs collector

yachtsmun wrote:
I predominantly collect Cowes (later Cowes Sports) F.C. issues, am up to around 2,500 now

That sounds like a fabulous collection and for a team I know absolutely nothing about.

Does your collection include pre war programmes?

What's the earliest you have?

Perhaps you can send a couple of scans of some of your earlier programmes.
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:53 pm 
Post subject:

yachtsmun wrote:
Derby 1884 - I forgot to say in my reply late last night, many thanks for your kind offer of a potential exchange. Aside from replacing your Cowes FC prog on a like-for-like basis, it seems only right I try and help you with your one-per-club mission too. are there any Wessex or I.W. clubs you're actively seeking? If yes, I can probably help. If not, there's a good chance I have some spares from our Hants League days that you might be interested in (Netley A.V., Warsash, Otterbourne, Malshanger perhaps?). These would take a bit longer to dig out though. Let me know. Cheers, Toby.

Toby, I'll drop you a PM later this evening or tomorrow when I find the Cowes programme and check its condition.
I'll check out which IOW clubs I have, too.
cheers
SeasideMark

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:07 pm 
Post subject:

Hi Toby
Seaside Mark here - I have a programme and memorabilia shop in North Wales but have an IOW connection - my aunt and uncle ran a holiday camp in Freshwater for many years (Brambles Chine) so we holidayed on the island a lot.
I know the island well and have seen many games at Church Litten, Westwood Park, Beatrice Avenue, Camp Road, Vicarage Lane etc.
Even smaller world - I have a customer (whose name escapes me at the moment) who retired up here a few years ago. He played for Saints reserves from 1957 to 1961 then joined Cowes for a few seasons.
He never kept any programmes and is looking to rekindle a few memories.
I will get his name and if you have any spares from his era with him named in the programme I will drop you a line to se if you can help him out.
I have a few Cowes issues from the late 60s, will fish them out, you might need a couple? All the best from North Wales.
Hwyl a diolch yn fawr
Mark
holtie96

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:46 pm 
Post subject: Forum

The forum is getting back on track Thumbs Up Easy
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:20 am 
Post subject:

Toby,
dug that programme out - details and a scan of it are in the PM I have just sent you.
yachtsmun

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:44 am 
Post subject:

derby 1884 - thanks for the PM, one's just been sent in return.

bisphamseasider - thanks, the collection gives me a great amount of pleasure (both in the amassing and the reviewing). As you might expect it's heavy on the 70's onwards, but I'm not far off complete on 60s first team homes. I've about seventy 1950's H/A, twenty-or-so 1940's H/A, and then a half dozen pre-war aways (the earliest being the three from 1897-98 mentioned earlier in this thread). Pre-war Cowes homes are rare as unicorn poo and I don't have any originals, but I do have scans from issues in 1905-6, 1929-30, 1936-7 and 1937-8. I'll have a go at posting a couple of scans shortly, but don't be surprised if my lack of computer-savvy fails me.

Seaside Mark - Am glad to hear you took in a few matches over here - hopefully you enjoyed Westwood the most, but I'll leave it to your discretion on whether to comment on that Smile Many thanks for hooking out your late Cowes 60's - it's the end of the decade I'm mostly lacking (as crowds dropped off considerably from 66-or-so onwards.) Re. your customer - yes, please do get a name, I'd be delighted to help and am pretty certain I'll be able to. I have a fair number of spares from the early-60's, but worst case I can send up a few laser copies (I fully expect I can furnish him with a few originals though). We used to get quite a few ex-Saints turn out for us, some of whom we'd get sorted with a local pub or a job in the boatyards as part of the arrangement.
yachtsmun

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:50 am 
Post subject:

Hopefully the above uploaded okay - from a 4th qualifying round FA Cup tie in 1937. Cowes lost (you'll notice a theme developing here...)
yachtsmun

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:55 am 
Post subject:

This is the oldest original home I have, from 46-7. This was actually given to me by Joss Jenkins, who played inside left for Bournemouth Gasworks on the day.
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:02 am 
Post subject:

Given this was a post-war programme, I was fascinated to see the players still numbered from 1 to 22.

Thinking back, Bournemouth Gasworks were one of those clubs whose programmes, when they appeared on dealers lists, always seemed to fly off the shelves in double quick time.

Took me ages to finally pick one up (for a reasonable price).
yachtsmun

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:04 am 
Post subject:

And this one was, for many years, one of my most sought-after issues. For many years the Hants Senior Cup and Intermediate Cup finals were played back-to-back on the same day at The Dell. This was the only occasion Cowes were represented in both matches, and you might see from the annotation that we lost both games. Must have been a grand day out for the couple of thousand Islanders who travelled over though.

Top of my wish list now would probably be the 1932 Hants Senior Cup Final when we took on local rivals Newport at the Dell. We lost that one as well, but the game holds the record attendance for a HSC final. The exact figure excapes me for now, but it was well over the 20,000 mark!
yachtsmun

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:06 am 
Post subject:

derby1884 wrote:
Given this was a post-war programme, I was fascinated to see the players still numbered from 1 to 22.

Yep, well, change is always a bit slow reaching us on the Island...
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Welcome All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: