Football Programmes Centre

South Shields v Gateshead 1961
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
South Shields v Gateshead 1961

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carlisleprogs

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:44 pm 
Post subject: South Shields v Gateshead 1961

I bid £11 for the above on ebay and was shocked at it's final price of over
£370. What makes this item so valuable?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1819.....1435.l2649
slightfold

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:11 pm 
Post subject:

I was also an underbidder at £32!! Usually when I don't win I am not that far off but to be beaten by a bid getting on for 10 times mine is truly staggering, it has never happened to me before. It was a '2 who had to have it' scenario and I laughed that the postage was just 90p. You can bet that the seller must have been even more staggered.
Amongst my eclectic mix, I collect Gateshead 61/2, being their first non-league season. The homes are not that easy, over many years I have managed to get most of them: the aways are much harder. Interestingly Gateshead's first ever away as a non-league club in the Northern Counties League Cup was against South Shields on 22/8 and this game was the League match. I hope that the bidders knew this and did not think they were after the first game!
Heed Boy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:46 pm 
Post subject:

I hope that's just a typo and you know that 1960/61 was Gateshead's first non-league season slightfold.
To the best of my knowledge there's nothing special about this programme, but the two bidders who went for it regularly do battle over Gateshead items (I know both of them). At least one of them is a member on this forum too, but regularly loses out as he did on a Scottish League 1974 application booklet (went for £205) and a 75/76 Gateshead v Wigan single-sheet (went for £107). I blame them for the outrageous inflation on Gateshead programmes and memorabilia! Even the Gateshead v Worcester FA Cup game from 2 weeks ago went for £34! (Nothing to do with the 2 gentlemen mentioned above on that one, by the way).
The winning bidder told me once that he 'has to be more careful with his money these days'. Those 3 items alone total nearly £700. Go figure.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: