Football Programmes Centre

1972 FA Cup being sold?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
1972 FA Cup being sold?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Other Websites
View previous topic :: View next topic  
overlap

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:14 am 
Post subject: 1972 FA Cup being sold?

It seems that Leeds United may be selling off part of its heritage for £1m, namely the replica FA Cup they were awarded for winning the trophy in 1972, if this article is to be believed.
Are they really so hard up? A £1m doesn't go so far does it these days, unless there is some pressing bill that needs paid, but you would think their history was 'priceless' by comparison.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/new.....A-Cup.html
pafcprogs

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:29 am 
Post subject:

I guess getting it valued a) doesn't mean they want to sell it and b) doesn't mean if they did sell it they would get that price

I can just see James Brent scrabbling around the Argyle board room muttering "Where the f*** did we put those Devon Bowls....

I also recall when we were in the dark days of administration supported being offered the Championship trophies for a couple of hundred quid.
ntw

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:43 pm 
Post subject:

Excuse my naivety, but what do they mean by 'replica' FA Cup? And why would one be given to a specific club?
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:04 pm 
Post subject:

We were the last winners of the prestigious 'FAW Premier Cup' in 2008, after thrashing Llanelli 1-0 in the final, so I might have to take that along to the Antiques Roadshow as well.

It's an extremely desirable and beautiful trophy, a real work of art, and looks absolutely nothing like a bowling ball plonked on top of a piece of wood.

I'll eat my hat if this doesn't get valued at somewhere near the Leeds United FA Cup ...

overlap

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:31 pm 
Post subject: 1972 fa cup being sold?

Hello PAFCProgs,
Yes they might just be getting it valued, and doesn't mean they will flog it off.
Seems strange to do it now though.

after reading today's articles with cellino (in times/bbc elsewhere) about what he says are the club's potential dire straits, not to mention forthcoming industrial tribunal etc etc, it can't do them any harm to have it valued as a 'potential asset' -- even if just for balance sheet reasons to have it recorded on the club accounts.
martino

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:55 pm 
Post subject: Re: 1972 fa cup being sold?

overlap wrote:
Hello PAFCProgs,
Yes they might just be getting it valued, and doesn't mean they will flog it off.
Seems strange to do it now though.

after reading today's articles with cellino (in times/bbc elsewhere) about what he says are the club's potential dire straits, not to mention forthcoming industrial tribunal etc etc, it can't do them any harm to have it valued as a 'potential asset' -- even if just for balance sheet reasons to have it recorded on the club accounts.

I heard on the radio yesterday that Cellino was willing to sell his stake in the Club at no profit to the Supporters Group.

Perhaps he is into a bit of asset stripping before that happens.
Eck

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:06 pm 
Post subject:

ntw wrote:
Excuse my naivety, but what do they mean by 'replica' FA Cup? And why would one be given to a specific club?

They play for the F.A Cup every year and the winner doesn't get to keep it, they get a replica to put in their trophy room.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Other Websites All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: