Football Programmes Centre

Combined postage
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Combined postage
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:37 pm 
Post subject: Combined postage

Have recently won 3 books on ebay from the same seller and was awaiting an inovice with the combined postage detailed. None was forthcoming so contacted him and ebay said he didn't offer it. Below is my email to him. I simply don't understand the rational for not combining as he's lost a potential good customer for his books.

Hi, I was waiting for an invoice detailing combined postage for these 3 items, but when nothing came I emailed you to ask about it but ebay advised that you don't offer combined postage?

That being the case, can you please invoice me individually for each item, and I'll pay for one, and when that is received I'll send the money through for the second one, ditto the third. It might take some time but it's the only way I ever do such payments when combined postage is refused.

I don't do combined payments when this is the case as I've had people say they don't offer combined postage and yet send them all in one parcel and keep the excess postage. To each their own, I don't have a problem with it but it does seem needless?

John Holroyd aka Auchinlekian.
goodison

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:03 pm 
Post subject:

I've noticed this a lot lately, awaiting an invoice then when I click on the request total it says seller doesn't offer combined postage. A couple of times they've refunded part of the payment once the item has been sent, although if you receive a lot of payment you may not notice it. To me, it would seem easier just to combine postage on the invoice in the 1st place. Anyone who charges full amounts and posts together without any refund I mark down and try to avoid using again.
gatfb

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:46 pm 
Post subject:

For buying books on ebay I always use worldofbooks08 as the price includes postage.

To be honest I don't know how they do it as my last purchase was 'The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich'. Which is a 1400 + page book for £2.81 including postage.
roughyedz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:50 am 
Post subject:

It could be possible that the seller has not realised that he doesnt offer combined postage when he lists his items, If the seller says no combined postage after you have asked then there are 2 points. One Its more profit for the seller even if its marked up at cost price, as posting 3 together will always be cheaper. Two . . E-Bay will not be interested at all as the more the postge is, the LARGER their cut is of the fees. You are correct of course ref the lost customer, but for any serious collector ( whatwever the purchased item is ) if you want the item badly enough you will pay whatever the postage cost is ......Im sure that most on here remember the days of £5.00 postage for a flimsy 2 page programme . . . . E-Bay eventually stopped that, but seems its crept back in under another guise eh Nod
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:36 am 
Post subject:

I don't consider myself to be a "serious collector" just someone who enjoys doing what I do. If I don't get something one week it inevitably comes around again.
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:30 pm 
Post subject:

I bought two different tickets off the same seller last week, who ignored both my polite message pleas for an invoice with combined postage.
Refused to even acknowledge or respond.

I ended up paying both postage fees after about four days.
It was only an additional £1-20, but the principle of it annoyed me.

Obviously both tickets arrived in the same envelope sent basic 2nd class, despite my being forced to pay £2-40 p+p instead of £1-20.

So I just haven't left any feedback whatsoever.
I feel I should leave a "neutral" along with an explanation as to why, but I just feel petty ruining somebody's feedback over a paltry £1-20 principle.
I shouldn't, but I do.

However what I do know after collecting for all these years is, it is extremely ungentlemanly and incredibly bad form not to combine postage, and it is something most collectors like myself (I assume?) expect to be taken as read.

I don't blame John being ticked off over those books and what I imagine is a much higher sum of p+p involved than what I was forced to cough up.
I think his response about refusing "to combine payment" is quality!
Five and In

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:01 pm 
Post subject:

littlewiggy wrote:
I bought two different tickets off the same seller last week, who ignored both my polite message pleas for an invoice with combined postage.

Obviously both tickets arrived in the same envelope sent basic 2nd class, despite my being forced to pay £2-40 p+p instead of £1-20.

I feel I should leave a "neutral" along with an explanation as to why, but I just feel petty ruining somebody's feedback over a paltry £1-20 principle.
I shouldn't, but I do.

However what I do know after collecting for all these years is, it is extremely ungentlemanly and incredibly bad form not to combine postage, and it is something most collectors like myself (I assume?) expect to be taken as read.

I don't blame John being ticked off over those books and what I imagine is a much higher sum of p+p involved than what I was forced to cough up.

I had a very similar experience last week too Wiggy.
3 small lots of early 1960's programmes each listed as £3-90 signed for postage. I was charged for 3 lots of postage and they came in one box with postage of £3.90. No response to e-mail. It's the principle involved not the £8 and manners cost nothing.
slightfold

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:57 pm 
Post subject:

Many of us have had the misfortune, if that's the word, to be shafted on postage by greedy Ebay sellers. Perhaps it's worth checking with a seller before you bid on multiple lots? I never quibble about what I pay for an item, after all if you don't like the price don't bid, but I expect if there is a profit for it to be in the sale price not in the postage. You could leave feedback, 'This seller does not do combined postage.'[/u]
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:58 pm 
Post subject:

Five and In wrote:
littlewiggy wrote:

I shouldn't, but I do.

3 small lots of early 1960's programmes each listed as £3-90 signed for postage. I was charged for 3 lots of postage and they came in one box with postage of £3.90. No response to e-mail. It's the principle involved not the £8 and manners cost nothing.

Spot on mate, that's the crux of it for me.

Aside from leaving glowing feedback, I often personally message sellers who have given terrific service, packed things nicely, sent them swiftly etc, just to say "Thanks" and to let them know their efforts were much appreciated.

As you quite rightly say, good manners cost nowt and generally go a long way in my experience mate.

I'll be loathe to use the seller who refused to combine post for me now in future, and how ridiculous it is that somebody who is a regular seller should be happy to risk their reputation and recurring customer relationship over a measly £1-20!!

Makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Had it been the £8 you were wrongly stung for mind, I definitely would have left a neutral or even a negative feedback on their profile.
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:03 pm 
Post subject:

slightfold wrote:
Many of us have had the misfortune, if that's the word, to be shafted on postage by greedy Ebay sellers. Perhaps it's worth checking with a seller before you bid on multiple lots? I never quibble about what I pay for an item, after all if you don't like the price don't bid, but I expect if there is a profit for it to be in the sale price not in the postage. You could leave feedback, 'This seller does not do combined postage.'[/u]

As I said in my previous post, it's something many of us long-time collectors take as read.
Whether that be rightly or wrongly.

An unwritten rule if you like.

However given that said seller did not acknowledge or respond to my polite pleas for a combined invoice, I think my chances of him actually answering the advance question you suggest are pretty much zero too.
Five and In

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:40 pm 
Post subject:

littlewiggy wrote:
Five and In wrote:
littlewiggy wrote:

I shouldn't, but I do.

Spot on mate, that's the crux of it for me.

Aside from leaving glowing feedback, I often personally message sellers who have given terrific service, packed things nicely, sent them swiftly etc, just to say "Thanks" and to let them know their efforts were much appreciated.

As you quite rightly say, good manners cost nowt and generally go a long way in my experience mate.

I'll be loathe to use the seller who refused to combine post for me now in future, and how ridiculous it is that somebody who is a regular seller should be happy to risk their reputation and recurring customer relationship over a measly £1-20!!

Makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Had it been the £8 you were wrongly stung for mind, I definitely would have left a neutral or even a negative feedback on their profile.

I always factor worst case scenario into my bids including postage, so was ok overall with what I paid. As we both agree, it's the principle.
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:14 am 
Post subject:

Seller has now agreed to combine the postage. Hapy with that and will be happy to continue buying from him now as he will probably have other things I need. Smile
slightfold

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:02 am 
Post subject:

So John, you might say 'Alls well that ends well.'
das

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:26 pm 
Post subject:

Part of the problem with combining postage is the way the post office charge based on size and weight. I have sold things on ebay where it was cheaper to send seperately than combine because it took it into a different price category.

Another thing is that I can measure weight, length and breadth but I can't measure depth accuratly and a couple of millimetres can make all the difference between large letter and small parcel with the corresponding difference in charge which can be very large. For that reason I don't have it set up for automatic reduction.

That said, I always combine postage either by calculating the exact amount where obvious or refunding where borderline although I don't get a fee refund on partial refunds.

And be careful leaving bad feedback regarding a seller not combining as ebay may remove it since you are expecting a service that the seller does not offer. the correct way would be via the stars for postage.
roughyedz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:31 pm 
Post subject:

das wrote:
Part of the problem with combining postage is the way the post office charge based on size and weight. I have sold things on ebay where it was cheaper to send seperately than combine because it took it into a different price category.

Another thing is that I can measure weight, length and breadth but I can't measure depth accuratly and a couple of millimetres can make all the difference between large letter and small parcel with the corresponding difference in charge which can be very large. For that reason I don't have it set up for automatic reduction.

That said, I always combine postage either by calculating the exact amount where obvious or refunding where borderline although I don't get a fee refund on partial refunds.

And be careful leaving bad feedback regarding a seller not combining as ebay may remove it since you are expecting a service that the seller does not offer. the correct way would be via the stars for postage.

An odd measuring stick you have there if you can measure lenght but NOT depth, do you do all the measuring of depth underwater ??? May i suggest you turn whatever it is your measuring on its side and pretend the depth is the length ....that way you can measure it . Very Happy
das

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:42 pm 
Post subject:

roughyedz wrote:
das wrote:

An odd measuring stick you have there if you can measure lenght but NOT depth, do you do all the measuring of depth underwater ??? May i suggest you turn whatever it is your measuring on its side and pretend the depth is the length ....that way you can measure it . Very Happy

Have you ever tried to measure 5mm across an uneven surface to post office standard. Similarly there's a big difference in Post Office world between 24mm and 26 mm. Measuring length and breadth is easy because C5 and C4 envelopes are a standard size and already measured.

If only I had one of those thingys the post office use it would be easy Sad
dangerman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:48 pm 
Post subject:

martino

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:51 pm 
Post subject:

[quote="das If only I had one of those thingys the post office use it would be easy Sad[/quote]

Widely available to the world:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.ht.....p;_sacat=0
roughyedz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:09 pm 
Post subject:

You can surely obtain an old cardboard box from your local store with the same measurements ( if not cut one down ) and if your item does not fit in the box its a no go ......cost 30p in sellotape

Or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50-X.....SwKrhVZdcm
ntw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:22 pm 
Post subject:

Some are available with free P&P too, so you can buy a few and not worry about combining!!!

My two penn'orth on this: I think eBay could do more to aid the buyer, by encouraging sellers to combine (making it the default setting for example). It could also be allowed to open a dispute where seller doesn't combine the charge, but does combine the posting-for me, this is a blatant overcharge, and just not on. But as has been noted, inflated postage charges, and associated fees, are in eBay's favour.

John's approach as set out in the OP is spot on for me-if a seller won't combine, pay for things one at a time. I think stating this is most likely what has led to the 'right' outcome here.

I also saw a listing recently where the seller said his intention was to break even on postage, so given eBay fees are charged on this, he built it in to his charge. He listed what his packing charge was, and whilst a bit long winded struck me as a fair and open way to go about things. In some ways I prefer this to offering free P&P: maybe that should be banned! The beauty of the internet in giving transparency to pricing has just led to more convoluted ways to price-see air fares as probably the worst example. eBay have it in their power to alleviate some of this pain if they wish.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: