Football Programmes Centre

Beyond the 92.
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Beyond the 92.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigearl79

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:27 pm 
Post subject:

Craig Revel Horwood on a Friday night? Do you know nothing, it's Saturday and Sunday nights only lol.
pafcprogs

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:30 pm 
Post subject:

Ahem

Strictly It takes 2 6Pm to 7PM on Friday, BBC 2

CRH is almost always on it...

Get My Coat
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:52 pm 
Post subject:

The New Saints FC, The Venue, Park Hall

It was friday night, in the hotel bar in Swansea when Macca asked if I understood anything that anyone was saying to me. he was referring to the girl on reception with the lovely welsh accent. 'No, its like being in a different country, now finish your Stella, we've got some planning to do'

the map was out on the hotel bed, it would have been the lap top but Macca was playing Football manager, not the new version, not even the old version....but the 1982 version from Addictive Games made for the BBC Micro and ZX Spectrum. Laughing

30 minutes later, 'What we going to do tomorrow Dad' he slurred.......Come on, he's only 12. Surprised

'Watch Danny at Swansea City Academy...then some top class football'.

Macca's bouncing on the bed 'yes yes, yes Swansea v Chelsea'.

Not quite son, but close.

In the morning, Macca was refusing to speak to me, he'd been delivered the bad news over breakfast and his facial expression resembled the weather. Horrible and wet.

After Dan's tournament finished we had a family vote on our afternoon options. Go home, sightseeing trip around Port Talbot or head up through Wales for the late kick off at Oswestry. The New Saints v Bala Town. Macca is not impressed with the choice, and there's a constant low mumbling from the back, as we head North. As we pass Bulith Wells they both fall asleep, typical, stay awake on motorways, fall asleep and miss the beautiful scenery.

Arrive 4.45pm, there's a healthy crowd gathering, we walk straight past the turnstiles, never saw them to be honest, and up to the large bar area where I'm given a teamsheet out of sympathy for having a son in a Sheffield United Tracksuit. The programme is an entirely different matter. There's none left in the box at the turnstiles, they only printed about 40. I leave the boys to kick a ball about behind one of the goals in an attempt to seek the fabled item, but its all in vain, there are none.

The pitch is a beautiful green, it looks like a carpet, because it is, its Astro. The sun has come out and its a beautiful setting for saturday evening football.

They've got an impressive bar, I know because I was seeking to mug somebody for a programme.

TNS can win the title, Bala are their closest rivals. In a tight first half both teams hit the woodwork and at half time its goal-less.

I go to the kiosk in the corner for a hot chocolate, where the old girl asks if I need anything else, as a throw-a-away quip 'only a programme'. Jackpot, she's only got one behind the counter. Happy days.

The boys make it on television for the second week running.
This week on S4C

Last week on Sky Sports

Suddenly, Scott Quigley's gone all Messi-esque and creates the opener for TNS. Let the celebrations begin, 10 minutes later its over as they add a second. Time for the getaway, head up to Wrexham where its sunny, and over to Manchester where its raining. And then Over the Snake Pass where its snowing. Back home for 9.

Admission: £10 (1 x £8, 2 x £1)
Programme: £3

Last edited by sharrowblade on Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:59 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
littlewiggy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:37 pm 
Post subject:

Superb write-up Sharrow, really enjoyed reading that.

A mate of mine went there a couple of years back to see our youth team play TNS in a Welsh Cup game.

(It was meant to be the first team, but we had a league game at Gateshead the same day, and the FAW who hate us for embarrassing them in court refused to change the date, so we sent the 16-year old academy lads)

He described TNS's ground as like being at a Leisure Centre where a game of football was inadvertently going on.
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:06 pm 
Post subject:

littlewiggy wrote:

He described TNS's ground as like being at a Leisure Centre where a game of football was inadvertently going on.

Great description....I didn't realise at the time but that is what it is...I stood looking at, then I went in it, but for want of a better phrase couldn't think of how to describe it.... the grab a teddy crane should have given it away Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:05 pm 
Post subject:

Harworth Colliery FC

Harworth Colliery v Sheffield United U19s

Arrived early, an hour before kick off, for this North Midlands Development League Fixture.

So what to do, converse with the local hoodies in their Subaru in the corner of the car park or do what any poor father does with football mad offspring does. get the ball out for half an hour and go and play on the pitch outside the ground.

For the first time since 1992 the sun shone in Harworth, but it still felt bitterly cold. And after 30 minutes of demonstrating the skills that made me the talk of the local scouts when I was younger (dib dib dib, dob dob dob) we headed for a friendly welcome in the clubhouse.

The bar was lively and even the guard dog wore Doc Martins. Our Dan suggested a game of pool which was a good idea, as I would've a weapon to hand. I was awful, but I couldn't concentrate for the Pentagram on the wall.

A pint later, and we head on over to the entrance. The programmes have just arrived. All 15 of them, so that was good timing.

They make a great hot chocolate in the food hut where we shelter from the icy breeze. Here conversation with the locals turn to the history of the town, I'd always known from cycling through the town 20 years ago, that it was the home town of the great British Cyclist Tommy Simpson, his memorial stone is at the entrance to the ground, and I spend 15 minutes being educated on the coal mining industry. They a great bunch, and the ground's a really nice setting on a spring evening. As kick off gets underway, a few more locals have wandered over. Sheffield United always pack them in Cool

The covered main terrace is full. Well, about 20 lads giving it large to the United bench but it all appears quite amusing. I'm sure they had worse. With United leading 2-0 there's a nasty injury which requires the ambulance. On arrival the ambulance has to drive down the side of the pitch to the jeers of the local lads, but that stops when they realize its a serious injury. Its a bad one, United's Centre forward has snapped his ankle. To be honest, the pitch was poor.

At half time, you can wander freely, I'm back outside playing football again....On return, Our Dan wanders over to the football pitches behind one end of the pitch and plays with a couple of 7 year olds who have got bored watching their dad on another pitch.

Meanwhile I'm listening to Big Mandy who was holding court with the local teenagers behind one goal and then one of the locals arrived from the bar in a vest. They breed them 'ard round 'ere'

United win 4-0. A good night, met some characters. Proper football.

Entrance: £2 Programmes £0.50p
bigearl79

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:13 am 
Post subject:

Stamford AFC done last night which now takes me to 116 all in. Zeeco Stadium is a great template for progressive non league clubs. Shame the club shop/hut wasn't open as it would have been nice to nose round. Considering how poor some of the car parking facilities are in the football league it was good to see ample parking right next to the ground. Certainly a ground that encourages you to go back again.
bigearl79

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:59 pm 
Post subject:

117 now as went to Parkgate yesterday to watch our youth team play Parkgate U21's. Nice game and nice little ground. Good little sports complex with training pitches for football, golf club and a bowling green. Well worth a visit. Rotherham reserves play there also, although most games, if not all, are 2pm KO's. Also had a look at both of Rotherham's grounds, old and new. If going to Rotherham for a game, worth going early so you can have a look at Millmoor.
bigearl79

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:47 pm 
Post subject:

Now up to 118 as I went to watch our youth team at Dronfield today. Very basic ground with only a small seating area of around 100-150 seats. No other covered areas at all. Basic club house which does the football basic's at good prices. Also have a bar which was serving from the tap today for what I'm led to believe is the first time. No programmes or team sheets's as programme editor was on holiday. Even tweeted me a picture of his holiday with an apology! He should have saved that for the bleak mid winter lol.
foxes1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:02 pm 
Post subject:

First ever visit last Saturday evening to Celtic Park to watch our ICC game against Celtic didn't really know what to expect with an English club visiting them but the natives seemed friendly enough. Mind you no beer sold in the ground don't know if that is common in Scotland or not, also why on earth were the Leicester fans kept in the ground for 30 minutes after the final whistle. One thing I did like the idea of is the safe standing area in the ground as not everybody who pays for a seat wants to stand up.

So after a visit to Celtic Park another new ground is looming on the horizon this coming Wednesday with a visit to the Friends Arena in Stockholm to watch our Friendly against Barcelona. Never been to Stockholm before heard its expensive so may end up drinking water.

I could quite get used to travelling round Europe watching us play but whether the coming season is a one off I don't know but by god I intend to enjoy it.
giorgio

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:39 am 
Post subject:

Was at West Ham (v Domzale) tonight. Yes, very nice. Looking forward to going the next two seasons. Still not as nice as Emirates though. Off to Salford on Saturday.
DySporting

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:56 pm 
Post subject:

I’m up to 155 grounds now after visits to Curzon Ashton and FCUM pre-season. Unfortunately now the likelihood is that I’ll have no new grounds for a while as I’ve been to all League 1’s

Relying on a cup draws now for new grounds
foxes1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:31 pm 
Post subject:

Just got back from a few days in Stockholm after visiting the Friends Arena for the Leicester City v Barcelona game. What a brilliant stadium it is and would recommend anyone who is in Stockholm it is well worth a visit.
The only thing that spoilt the evening was the security check we had to go through to get into the arena (Leicester fans must have a reputation in Europe). No Vuvuzelas, Umbrellas, Food, Drink, Professional cameras, Clappers, Bells, Selfie Sticks, Laser Pens or Fireworks apart from that anything goes including flags on poles.
Although we didn't get the result we wanted 3-0 down at half-time we won the 2nd half 2-1 so only went down 4-2 in the end but what a cracking game it was.
If you do go be prepared for a 15 / 20 min walk from the metro station.
No progs / teamsheets were produced, you do get the usual hawkers selling half/half scarves (Not for me though)
Price of ticket worked out at approx. £50 this is what you have to pay to watch the Premier League champions in action abroad now Very Happy

All in all a good few days in Stockholm expensive but enjoyable.
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:47 am 
Post subject:

Garforth Town

After a trip to Middlesbrough's Academy at Rockcliffe, we decided to visit Garforth Town, situated literally two minutes off the motorway M1 near Leeds. Surprisingly, there was a game on, the echo's of 'the referee's a w****r gave it away'. Given our Dan's in his Sheffield United tracksuit, We nevertheless decided to risk it.

The main stand is a neat one and can be accessed from the main building over a walk-way bridge, the rest of the pitch is ringed by a large wooden fence.

The second half had just begun, and there's a titanic tussle going on between Leeds Ladies (which is alarming as I didn't know there was any Laughing ) and Chorley.

I ask a couple of local youths what the score was and was met with 'dunno mate, we think its 3-0 but we're not sure',....well, that's promising, until Leeds score and one of them says 'Is that 4-2?'

Although, the Chorley Keeper has the look of a 'Bond' villain, ....'Jaws', there's a definite difference between the physical attributes of the players. The Leeds players were physically bigger and stronger, and this is reflected by three yellow cards in two minutes. I'm impressed

Another Leeds goal, and I get the score confirmed its 4-1. Shortly, afterwards, One of the Chorley Girls gets another 'Hunter-esque tackle' her way. There's a square up, but no handbags as the Leeds player demonstrates an impressive right hook, and all hell breaks out. The large banner that runs down the pitch on the the far side says 'KEEP ON FIGHTING'. Several of the girls were keen to keep up traditional values.

I said to our Dan, 'to be fair, I wouldn't like to meet some of these down a dark alleyway', whereupon turning to the bloke, next to me who had his dog with him, 'Alright mate, are you taking him out for a walk after his Sunday dinner' To which he replied 'No, the girlfriend's playing centre-half'

In the aftermath, both players were sent off, as was one of the coaching staff from Leeds, not sure if this was for offensive language, or the fact that his left upper cut was seen by the ref.

Chorley pull one back, but Leeds get another and we decide to leave as the chimes of 'We Love you Leeds, we do' resounds from the main stand.

Its a tidy little set up and very accessible hidden down by the side of a housing state. Will visit again shortly, but probably won't watch the girls. There's only so much violence one can take.
TartanTyneArmy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:12 pm 
Post subject:

Took in some non-league today
FA Cup EP Qualifying round
Lowest ranked Heaton Stannington hosting West Auckland Town
Finished 2:3
Competitive game with two goals before 3pm (kicked off at 2:56pm)
Admission: £5, Programme: £1, Picture with the cup: Free
Great value afternoon out to cheer me up after NUFC getting dumped at Fulham last night.

Programme here:
https://tartantynearmycollection.wordpress.com/2016/07/24/heaton-stannington/

https://www.flickr.com/gp/142569771@N06/P4X739
foxes1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:11 pm 
Post subject:

New ground lined up for next week the Jan Breydel Stadion home of Bruges K V hopefully it will be a win for us. Gonna be an early start though coach leaving Leicester at 2 AM arriving in Bruges for about 10 AM local time should leave enough time for some Belgian beers.
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:51 pm 
Post subject:

Buxton FC - Silverlands

Nestled high in the Peak District, the trip over to Buxton is always one of memories of Sunday mornings when I was younger, out on the bike. I recall to the young'uns in the back, of visits to landmarks, and pubs, ...mainly pubs I confess,... a catalogue of tales of somersaulting over handlebars, altercations with Car-booters and mending punctures. I lose myself in a time conundrum and when we reach Buxton our Dan simply said 'what's that you on about, Dad' Oh well, never mind there's always the journey home.

Dan's not happy, 'I thought you said it was Derbyshire'.
'It is' I reply
'Yes but you didn't say it was the other side of Derbyshire'. I can't win.

We've brought our neighbour's lad, Freddie so at least he has company, as Macca was last seen wallowing in his pit. Teenagers eh!

We've brought Oxygen, Silverlands is the highest football Ground in the country.

Hanging around the bins. Its how we roll.

We're on the VIP list due to me being an international male model which is just as well because after securing a couple of Programmes, teamsheets, two pints, a raffle ticket, golden goal ticket and entrance fee into the Half time penalty shoot out and retaining enough money for a Chinese on our return, and our trip to Sunderland Academy on Sunday morning, the lolly is hemorrhaging from my wallet faster than an attempt to win a cuddly toy for my daughter on one of them arcade grabber thingies at Cleethorpes. I didn't dare venture into the souvenir shop.

There's a decent crowd of just over 600 of which about 400 are in the bar. Dan's feeling happier, he has burger and chips, he rates it, which is a bonus. Whitby Town are the visitors. They're second in the Evo-Stik Premier, Buxton are top. Game on.

We decide to head down to the bottom corner of the ground, a decrease in elevation of about 100 ft. Here we find a bicycle at the back of the terrace. Don't see that at many Premier League grounds. Buxton lead early and double their advantage on the stroke of half time. I wander up to watch Dan and Freddie in the Penalty shoot out. Both of them score, with Dan insisting he gave the keeper the eyes before rolling the ball into the bottom corner. To be honest, I'm not sure the keeper could actually see. (See poster below) Laughing

Shortly afterwards one of the local youngsters ask's Freddie if he wants to play tig. I'm not sure that 'No...I don't play with weird kids' was the right answer but come on the kid was 19.

The second half meanders along nicely, Whitby to there credit continue to play passing football but miss their chances and ultimately Buxton add another on the break. For the remainder of the game there's a friendly party atmosphere eminating from the home kop, like a late afternoon in one of those Gillete or Benson and Hedges Trophy Cricket Finals from the 70s.

Really enjoyed it.

Tickets: N/A (Normally £10 adult, £4 for the horrors)
Programme: £2
Burger and chips £2.60
Pint: £3.40
Karb

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:59 am 
Post subject:

Stratford Town v Merthyr Town for me last night.

Fairly standard prices for the Southern Premier - £10 entrance, £2 for a programme, £1 for coffee and £3.30 for a pint of bitter. The programme, while not the greatest quality, had everything you would expect to see, and also has pen pictures of the home side as well as the away team, which is always good for the casual visitor.

Merthyr look a good footballing side, and too strong for a Stratford side who play a more direct style, running out comfortable 3-0 winners, though it might have been a different matter if the Stratford shot that came back off the post with the score at 0-0 had gone in.
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:48 am 
Post subject:

A magical mystery triple header, I use that term loosely Laughing but still what else is there to do in the holidays, I'd begun the week at Sheffield FC, played golf every evening with the lads, played foot-golf the day previously and now were heading out on Good Friday.

Garforth Town (Again)
Departed Cleethorpes 9am, sun is shining. I take pride in telling the boys its going to be a beautiful day for their non league magical mystery tour. 15 minutes later, as we past one of the East coast’s more recognizable vista’s, the Oil refinery at Immingham, its bouncing down, and shortly after there’s no finer sight peering through rain splashed windscreen of that of Drax and Ferrybridge power stations.

Arrived at Garforth with 10 minutes to kick off (11am) Terry’s Badges and Colin Boulter have stalls outside but we haven’t time to linger, the excitement is building. Admission costs £5 for me, the lads free, programmes are £1.50, so I Buy three.

Its fresh, the suns out but it’s a bit cool, the game does little to keep us warm so with about 10 minutes to half time and quite literally with nothing happening I take a wander back to the Reliant to deposit the programmes, this with hindsight could be perceived as an error as I stop to chat with Mr Boulter and his missus, who relieve me of £3 (18 programmes from the 60s and 70s), these are for Macca’s collection, the boys come out at half time and the boys persuade Terry to relieve me of £6 for an Eastleigh and Wooten Bassett badges, I’m now going to go and find where Wooten Bassett actually is. Confused

I’m assured I haven’t missed anything with regards to the game and the second half would be better, quite clearly this was a lie, and as we’re leaving the ground somebody remarks that the most exciting thing that happened was when he went to the toilet with 10 minutes to go. Not sure what that meant but I wasn’t hanging about to find out.
Confused

Harrogate Railway Athletic
We make good time for our 2:30 kick off and arrive an hour before, Pickering Town are the visitors and league positions for this Northern Counties Premier suggest they are strong favourites to win. Programmes purchased £2 each, the bar is great and so is the San Miguel. Admission again £5.

The Pitch has quite a camber on it, and is surrounded by a couple of very small stands and a perimeter fence that looks like its been recycled from world war II Anderson shelters. A couple of parts look like they may have received a direct hit. With regards to the game, sadly, Harrogate concede a penalty early on and the perpetrator is dismissed, from the resulting Penalty, Pickering score and from then on in the game became a formality. Their kit is voted ‘best of the day’. The food hut was doing a roaring trade but I’m not convinced that the chips were worth the wait. 15 minutes for 15 chips. I consoled myself with another fivers worth of non league, and Scottish programmes from Mr Boulter. Bumped into a few lads from Sheffield FC and thoroughly enjoyed talking to them in the 2nd half whilst the lads played football over in a corner. However, did not enjoy having to go round and knock on the door of a ninety year old pensioner after the game to retrieve the football that Macca had launched over the fence. Found the club and the supporters extremely friendly.

Knaresborough Town
Stopped off for a late lunch before arrived at a not too distant Knaresborough (about 3 miles). Parking is tight but used the industrial estate just down the road. Admission was £5 as before. There’s a good crowd, (Over 400), Pontefract Collieries are three points of top and Knaresborough are Seventh. Ponty have a young, hungry side and are on the front foot from the off, I’m stood amongst their faithful, the language is colourful to say the least, the referee didn’t know his parents and the bloke next to me was Pontefract’s spittoon champion for seven years running, every 30 seconds a lump of phlegm added to the greenery on the pitch and that wasn’t the only end unpleasant substances were escaping from. The debating society at Ponty Comp had clearly always been lively discussions as the players whinged about every single decision with ‘are you f***ing joking?’ The boys were playing in some nets by the side of the pitch which was great because the evening sun had come out. Suddenly, against the run of play, Knaresborough score on the break and lead 1-0 going into half time. It wasn’t going to last and neither was the sun, I fetch the jackets from the Reliant and miss the equaliser, midway through the half three goals in as many minutes for Ponty confirm the outcome the last of these a 45 yarder over the keeper. They would finally go onto win 5-1. Meanwhile the lads have played with a little local youngster, (he must have been about 7) for the whole of the second half, not sure what he made of mine, Dan had a Grimsby Town away shirt on and Macca told him he was from Dundee. All in all, a great evening, boys got to play footy without launching it over somebody’s fence and the game was the best of the three.

Stop off in Cleethorpes for Fish and Chips. Back in the Static at 9:15pm.

Long day, something different, boys really enjoyed it. Result

Topbidwinsagain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:51 pm 
Post subject:

Sharrowblade that was absolutely brilliant---loved it. I felt I was there, maybe just missing out on the chips but making up for it by having a piping hot Bovril.
You put these small clubs on the map and it puts a different perspective on what this game of football is all about-----all the loyal volunteers who work for the love of the game and all those players who are paid a working mans wage----sorry I digress.
The two lads will remember these visits in years to come and meanwhile, I look forward to your next one and the impressive detail that makes your reports come alive. Easy
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: