Football Programmes Centre

Sporting Memorys Auction 12/08/2015
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Sporting Memorys Auction 12/08/2015
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Upcoming Sporting Auctions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SADDLERSFAN

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:47 pm 
Post subject:

sharrowblade wrote:
http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/sporting-memorys/catalogue-id-srspo10005/lot-d248f9f5-93b0-4499-b128-a4d7010b898e

If this lot sells at its estimate, I'll be streaking round our local park at midnight shouting 'Look at me I'm enormous'. And then I'll put my collection in for auction.

WHAT TIMES THE STREAK Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

739 £90.00
740 £85.00 **********
741 £70.00
742 £70.00
743 £50.00
744 £150.00

AND WHEN IS YOUR AUCTION Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:16 pm 
Post subject:

Midnight.

And yet this is the one thing I don't understand.

I can understand people who look at ebay not being bothered or knowing about cetain auctions, but people who buy from auctions will know everything that's happening on ebay.

Are we genuinely being led to believe that a programme that over the years has been a £25-£35 programme at most has suddenly elevated itself to three figure value. Sorry I just don't see it.

June: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shef.....2ee29f81e2

Something's not right....no wonder the average punter doesn't bother with auctions. Perhaps, it was the Walsall branch of the Polish Cleaners Co-operative who had a whip round and bought it for heritage.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
cardiff55

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:50 pm 
Post subject:

SADDLERSFAN wrote:
sharrowblade wrote:
http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/sporting-memorys/catalogue-id-srspo10005/lot-d248f9f5-93b0-4499-b128-a4d7010b898e

If this lot sells at its estimate, I'll be streaking round our local park at midnight shouting 'Look at me I'm enormous'. And then I'll put my collection in for auction.

GET READY SHARROW.. I was speaking to someone today who wants this programme Very Happy

Apparently it sold for £85, so can you film the streak?
SADDLERSFAN

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:00 pm 
Post subject:

Watch out Sharra's about
martino

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:02 pm 
Post subject:

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:
Are the results listed anywhere?

Results are here

http://www.sportingmemorys.com/auctions.htm
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:35 pm 
Post subject:

£850 for the 1923 Amateur Cup Final.

Ah well, at least I was close this time....
auctioneer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:17 pm 
Post subject: sporting memorys results

hi martino many thanks for posting the results

the results will be updated and displayed on the saleroom as soon as verified by them

to sharrowblade, please refrain from making your pathetic comments about my auction

for your information we had a room full of ordinary collectors, many coming for the social meeting as well.

the wartime issue to mentioned sold to a highly respected client, with a commission bid left with us

we also had another bid left with the saleroom, and with us

indeed there was a lot of interest in many of the wartime issues, including from many forum members
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:49 am 
Post subject: Re: sporting memorys results

auctioneer wrote:

to sharrowblade, please refrain from making your pathetic comments about my auction

With respect, I questioned the non-sensible estimate and price realised off one very minor item in an auction of over a 1000 items.

I've clearly offended you over my threat to streak through the park, not sure why, unless you're planning to walk the dog around midnight.

Very sorry, I've PM'd, in reply to your PM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Cantona93

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:33 am 
Post subject:

sharrowblade wrote:
Midnight.

And yet this is the one thing I don't understand.

I can understand people who look at ebay not being bothered or knowing about cetain auctions, but people who buy from auctions will know everything that's happening on ebay.

Are we genuinely being led to believe that a programme that over the years has been a £25-£35 programme at most has suddenly elevated itself to three figure value. Sorry I just don't see it.

June: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shef.....2ee29f81e2

Something's not right....no wonder the average punter doesn't bother with auctions. Perhaps, it was the Walsall branch of the Polish Cleaners Co-operative who had a whip round and bought it for heritage.

It seems to me that quality items will generally sell better at specific auctions rather than E Bay because quite a few of the people who are after them do not have the time or inclination to spend hours searching on E Bay so don't bother with it.
ntw

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:54 am 
Post subject:

Maybe auctioneer or someone can help me with something I've never really understood. When people place commission bids, how are they used to start the bidding? If for eg, estimate is £100-120, and you have one commission bid for £200 (and nothing else), where would an auctioneer open bidding? Would it be different if there was another commission bid for £80? It might say somewhere in the auction house's T&Cs, but I've never seen it (though probably haven't looked that hard TBH).
auctioneer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:26 pm 
Post subject: auctions

hi its quite easy when you know how

the following is a good example

reserve 60 estimate 80 to 100

1, the auctioneer has a bid of 120 only(he should open at reserveof 60)

2 , the auctioneer has 2 bids 90 and 170(he should open at 100)

3 the auctioneer has 2 bids of 220 and 210(he should open at 205)

4 the auctioneer has 0 bids(he should open at 50, trying to get the room to bid the reserve price of 60)

I attend many auctions, and this is the correct procedure, however , a client should have confidence in the auction house
I would leave commission bids with some companies, some I would not!

if in doubt leave a bid via the saleroom, you will be charged 3% extra,

but the auction house has no prior knowledge of the bid

any more questions, please ask
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:52 pm 
Post subject:

Where would he open if there was no reserve?

ie estimate £40-£60, no reserve.

Commission bit tabled of £80
auctioneer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:39 pm 

hi I would instruct the auctioneer to start at 5 pounds , but to be frank, I would expect the item to get the estimate
ntw

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:56 pm 
Post subject: Re: auctions

auctioneer wrote:
hi its quite easy when you know how

the following is a good example

reserve 60 estimate 80 to 100

1, the auctioneer has a bid of 120 only(he should open at reserveof 60)

2 , the auctioneer has 2 bids 90 and 170(he should open at 100)

3 the auctioneer has 2 bids of 220 and 210(he should open at 205)

4 the auctioneer has 0 bids(he should open at 50, trying to get the room to bid the reserve price of 60)

I attend many auctions, and this is the correct procedure, however , a client should have confidence in the auction house
I would leave commission bids with some companies, some I would not!

if in doubt leave a bid via the saleroom, you will be charged 3% extra,

but the auction house has no prior knowledge of the bid

any more questions, please ask

Thanks for the explanation. Just so I'm clear, what does an auction house see when you put in a bid through saleroom then? I assumed they just got visibility of your top price, rather than some eBay style increments versus what's going on in the room?
auctioneer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:38 am 

the bids are made live one hour before the sale, to the saleroom operator

he receives the top bid only

the saleroom software makes the bids in reponse to the auctioneer

my company uses the saleroom's operator, so we have no access to any of the bids
FootballSportsAuctions

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:00 pm 
Post subject:

I can concur with Robert, We at Football Sport Auctions Ltd are not privy to any bids let with the-saleroom.com expect for after the sale, and even then we cant see any under bidders.

Going back a few years now we had a lot that contained Headington United programmes. A small estimate of £100-150 was placed on the lot with a reserve of £80. There were numerous commission bids left on the lot in question including one of £900 and one of £950 and the lot sold for £950. As you can imagine the winner bidder was not impressed with the outcome and hence we lost his business. We actually offered to put the two bidders in question in contact as they wanted different programmes out of the lot but the buyer refused. A no win situation all round and a good client lost...........

Andy

www.footballsportsauctions.co.uk
mustard68

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:07 pm 
Post subject: sporting memorys

slightly off topic but there was a thread a little while ago about dodgy behaviour at auction viewings.
Did anything transpire from the CCTV viewing?

Its a significant issue to those of us who rarely get to the auctions themselves but bid via saleroom on virtually every one
ntw

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:35 pm 
Post subject:

It sounds like, from what is described above, sale room is used as a live system, and latest bids (in room), with the software then effectively saying if it wants to take the price higher, and place a bid (I.e. Because someone has placed a higher bid)?

If so, the that sounds a very fair way of doing it, and in future is likely use it-I've always seen it as a way to avoid the extra 3% charge by just placing a commission bid with the House concerned. However, I recently went for a little known about friendly prog with an estimate of £10-15; it went fairly recently at another auction for £195 (I just missed out), so put a commission bid in at £220; later I decided to up it to £250. Bidding ended at £225, and I thought it a bit suss, and wondered if they'd put my two bids against each other!

I suppose the price wasn't silly V. another recent auction, and I of course got what I wanted, for a few quid less than my max. But can't help wondering... however, sounds like saleroom removes any risk/temptation that exists here: worth paying a small premium for I think.
CNSOBU

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:08 pm 
Post subject:

FootballSportsAuction

Andy,

Excuse my ignorance but I am confused.

If the winning bidder was willing to go to £950, why was he so upset?

If I was leaving a commission bid, I would only leave one which I was happy to pay (and could afford).

thanks
ntw

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:58 pm 
Post subject:

CNSOBU wrote:
FootballSportsAuction

Andy,

Excuse my ignorance but I am confused.

If the winning bidder was willing to go to £950, why was he so upset?

If I was leaving a commission bid, I would only leave one which I was happy to pay (and could afford).

thanks

I guess it's a bit similar to what I described above-you could feel it's a bit suss. Just because you're happy (or at least prepared!) to pay well above the estimate, you could be left feeling like they just charged top whack regardless: the thing is, you've no way of knowing, you just have to trust the House to be honest; if you felt they might not have been, and it'd cost you hundreds I could understand why you might be miffed.

That said, obviously that's the 'risk' you run when placing a commission bid, and you're right that you should only put in what you're happy to pay of course. But if saleroom solves this for 3%, then I'd use in future.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Upcoming Sporting Auctions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: