Football Programmes Centre

1940's PROGRAMMES for sale or exchange
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
1940's PROGRAMMES for sale or exchange
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Football Programmes Offered for Sale or Swap
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BAZZABAGGIES

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 8:53 pm 
Post subject:

As i said before
Because this is not the place to sell. And there are too many forum members and not enough buyers. (unless its cheap) Very cheap.
blackburncollector

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 9:00 pm 
Post subject:

BAZZABAGGIES wrote:
As i said before
Because this is not the place to sell. And there are too many forum members and not enough buyers. (unless its cheap) Very cheap.

Strange that a forum for programme collectors isn't really a place for selling programmes, unless sellers heavily outweigh buyers?

Cool
kcs

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 9:28 pm 
Post subject:

Interesting replies since the lack of sales.
Speaking from the enquiries that I made - I asked about 2 programmes that would form a low priority of my collecting, third in a list of three collecting areas. A price was given and after researching eBay I was able to gain a better idea of the current market value of both items. The price quoted was higher than the unsold price of the same programme (both in excellent condition). So from any collectors/buyers point of view why would you spend more on an identical product - you wouldn't.
I wasn't after cheap programmes purely programmes at the current market value. Like it or loath it, eBay has a major part in the current market value of many programmes.
Think it is fair to point out that the price quoted was not a million miles away from the eBay price and not excessive.

A few comments have been made by several members that people do not buy on this forum, or are looking for cheap items... I think that this is not necessarily the case - I have placed my Leeds wants list for both first team and reserve issues on here and had no replies, could it be that the sellers don't have the programmes for the market of this forum?
If programmes on my wants list came up I would certainly spend the money on them and I believe that this would be the case for many members.

Showcase your collection in an online programme guide!
Display your research in a comprehensive history archive!
PompeyPhil

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 9:53 pm 
Post subject:

Well Said KCS.....my thoughts exactly......one of the reasons I joined the forum was to try and obtain "wants" etc........no joy to date but I have managed to secure some other items at the price the seller wanted. If any forum member had any of my "wants" I would be interested.......as it is I'm stuck with taking pot luck on offers lists......and watching certain one's like the Sunderland 1948-49 appear in a 1948-49 Sunderland season auction item with a estimate of £400-500 pounds.....I only want the Pompey one!! Razz
pafcprogs

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 7:34 am 
Post subject:

I have had some success on here both buying and selling so I don't think it is completely fair to diss the site because a list of programmes doesn't attract much attention.

At the end of the day most serious collectors have the hard to finds remaining...I am happy these days to pick up one a month on my [post war wants list.

Pricing remains a mystery to me....stuff I think will sell remains unsold and stuff which you list optimistically for a fiver goes for just under a ton on ebay ( 1966 Sunderland guide for tourists!!!)

Still that's what makes the hobby interesting!
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 10:28 am 
Post subject:

Some dealers [not all] think it’s still 1994 and ebay didn’t exist, that’s why you still see items in catalogues that are double or even three times the price that they normally sell for on ebay. A programme listed at £5 that doesn’t sell for 99p on ebay, a pre-war that they list for £250 (because that was always been the price), which struggles to make £100 on ebay or at auction.

Even looking at ebay itself, some dealers [and private sellers] list items at top dollar BIN and they sit there month after month after month, waiting for a mug to come along and buy it even though identical items sell for much less on open bidding. If you’re after items that are reasonably common, eg they come around once a month or suchlike, and you’re not in a rush to buy them then you’d be mad to do anything else than wait until one comes up on ebay at a price you want to pay.

It’s not always as easy as that of course, as someone points out a £9.99 item that doesn’t sell one week, sells for £25.00 the next but as long as you’re patient you’ll get what you want at a price you consider to be fair.

This is just a general comment, no idea if the prices being asked here are a reflection of current ebay prices as they don’t cover my sphere of collecting.

On the subject of buying on here, I have obtained a few items through here at agreeable prices, doesn’t happen very often but then my wants list is fairly small. I wonder if dealers would list their quality stuff on here before ebay or auction?
Posh1959

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 6:18 pm 
Post subject:

What baffles me about the current programme scene is most serious collectors if not all, get all the auction catalogues, so a pre war comes up at auction all the collectors know it is there so you would not expect a dealer to be able to buy it and resell to a collector at a profit. Likewise a pretty rare 40s early 50s issue or a friendly, i can not understand how a dealer can make money on the deal when all the collectors have had a chance to buy at auction.

Prices for the run of the mill items will stay low as only so many people want a particular programme, once they have it its nearly worthless, until a new collector comes on the scene.

Demand will always dictate the price of anything, Andy Neil in my opinion has a good stock at sensible prices,as i am sure Barry has, but if nobody wants them for their collection, it does not matter what the price is they wont sell.

Collectors have never had it so good, programmes for slae here there and everywhere, a lot easier to build up a collection today than it was 40,30,20 years ago where we relied on catalogues and fairs.

The real quality items will always do well at holding value, but the more common items there will fall all the time in price.
Wullie

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 8:02 pm 
Post subject:

But as Phil said , he didn't want to buy a whole collection just to obtain one programme , so this is where dealers will come in.
Buying the right bulk collections can be profitable. Did anyone notice the Twelve 1950/51 Sunderland home programmes that went for £500 recently ? Amongst them was Manchester United and Chelsea. I would say the Manchester game could probably sell for £500 on it's own.
blackburncollector

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 8:13 pm 
Post subject:

Posh1959 wrote:
Andy Neil in my opinion has a good stock at sensible prices.

thanks very much for the kind words Clive Thumbs Up
holtie96

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 8:15 pm 
Post subject: Wullie

I wondered what you had your eye in Wullie!
Also did anyone see that collection of 10 programmes pre war that included the 1920 FA cup semi final at Chelsea?
As you say there is sometimes a gem hiding and the rest becomes a bonus or helps to fund the gem you were always after.
Wullie

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 8:45 pm 
Post subject:

I can understand dealer's frustrations but Holtie is correct. If you can spot a bargain , no harm in reselling to raise cash for the items you really need. That's why I hated all that silly chatter about bedroom bandits. I don't see many collectors selling/swapping items as non collectors/ part time dealers , but it makes sense. If you spot a £500 programme you need in a batch of 12 , then reselling the others for a profit to plough back in to your collection makes perfect sense. If you sport a £100 programme for a buy it now £10 , even if you don't need the programme, you'd be barmy to pass on it...
BAZZABAGGIES

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 9:16 pm 
Post subject:

SOLD ONE... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
blackburncollector

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 9:24 pm 
Post subject:

BAZZABAGGIES wrote:
SOLD ONE... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Get the bunting out...might have another go myself now!
pompeypete
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 11:30 am 
Post subject:

BAZZABAGGIES wrote:

Easy Easy Easy Easy Easy

Flickr pages in the process of closing......

Happy to forward any info on Pompey...
BAZZABAGGIES

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 11:43 am 
Post subject:

It just goes to show not everyone on this board is a tight git I mean he paid £14 for a programme from season 1948/9
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 12:05 pm 
Post subject:

kcs wrote:
A few comments have been made by several members that people do not buy on this forum, or are looking for cheap items... I think that this is not necessarily the case - I have placed my Leeds wants list for both first team and reserve issues on here and had no replies, could it be that the sellers don't have the programmes for the market of this forum?
If programmes on my wants list came up I would certainly spend the money on them and I believe that this would be the case for many members.

Got to agree with that kcs.

I have added very little to my collection through being on this forum.

Most of my new additions come from auction houses or ebay.

I have asked for reserves, youth, postponed, wartime, prewar and the odd post war tour programme over the years without success except for a couple of items which cost me an arm and a leg.

The forum has however been superb in obtaining/exchanging information, learning about other clubs programmes and memorabilia and generally keeping uptodate with programme related issues.

I am resigned to the fact that it will only be on a rare occasion that I add to my collection through this forum.
BAZZABAGGIES

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 6:11 pm 
Post subject:

Because no one on here has got any money.
Only a fool would sell Pre 1950 Programmes on the cheap.
You all want top dollar when offering anything rare.
DefunctClubs

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:37 pm 
Post subject: Messaged you

Pm Send Bazza
Westbourne

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:10 pm 
Post subject:

I can afford to pay £5 each
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Football Programmes Offered for Sale or Swap All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: