Football Programmes Centre

Josh Meekings Ban - Scots fitba an even bigger joke!
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Josh Meekings Ban - Scots fitba an even bigger joke!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Everything and Anything Scottish. In Honour of John Holroyd. RIP.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hulldon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:27 pm 
Post subject: Josh Meekings Ban - Scots fitba an even bigger joke!

I don't know if fellow forum members are aware of the issue, but the ICT player, Josh Meekings, got away with handling a goalbound Celtic shot in the SFA Cup semi at the weekend, when they were 1 - 0 ahead.
The offence was not spotted by all 6 (yes six) officials, so Celtic didn't get the chance to go 2 -0 up, and ICT didn't have to play the rest of the game with 10 men.
It was a game changer, but similar to many recent decisions, and many decisons over the past few years .....

However, Celtic wrote to the SFA asking for "clarification" of the decision, as they said they owed it to their fans. They told the media that they had done this.
One day later, the SFA issued a notice of complaint handing Josh Meekings a one match ban, which would mean him missing the Cup final. Now, there is little dispute that he did handle the ball, and the officials missed it, and had they seen it, he would have most likely been sent off, and Celtic could well have gone on to win ...... But such a call has never been made before - previously only violent offences or simulation missed by officials have been subject to such notices of complaint. For example, my own club Aberdeen suffered a similar lack of decision recently against Dundee, when a goalbound shot was stopped by a hand of a Dundee defender when we were 1-0 up, and we did not go on to win the game.

Now, there has often been a feeling amongst non - Celtic fans in Scotland (similar to certain clubs in England) that they have always got the better of referee's decisions, - as an Aberdeen fan I can give chapter and verse - but this is almost proof that the authorities are complicit in this.
Much is being made of it on social media and numerous Scottish professional footballers have added their disbelieving tuppennce worth on twitter, often quite amusingly.
But my main worry is the precedent that is potentially being set, whereby a club that feels hard done by after a match - happens every week - writes to the authorities and complains, and players are banned. maybe they should replay the match???

How about the Hand of God match, or Thierry Henry's handball, or the 66 World Cup Russian linesman???

A very sad day ..... Sad Sad
pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:41 pm 
Post subject:

They were talking to a caller about this on Talk sport today. The caller was embarrassed to be a Celtic fan and basically was saying exactly the same as you.

Imagine big teams everywhere will be moaning even more now a precedent has been set.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
highlandjambo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:46 pm 
Post subject: Josh Meekings Ban

Spot on there mate, total joke, yes it was a shocking decision that it wasn't a penalty and sending off, but they missed it. How many times has that happened to the wee diddy teams in Scotland over the years, they get told Get over it, these things even themselves out over the year. KARMAS A BITCH EH, JAGGIES for the Cup.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:03 pm 
Post subject:

It's absurd, and ICT are going to appeal it.

Where was the SFA Compliance officer when Gudetti comically dived in the box in the 4th round to win a penalty at Tynecastle? on his holidays probably.
PhilWBA

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:11 pm 
Post subject:

Dangerous road to go down following on from the Womens game that had to have the final seconds replayed

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32231318

Will Liverpool now appeal against the incorrect decision of Balotelli being offside at Wembley on Sunday ?

Opens the door to a lot of problems to come

websites - www.footballstickershop.com
www.footballcardsworld.com
highlandjambo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:55 pm 
Post subject: Josh meekings ban

Come on Tynie behave, they looked at it and .......He Slipped. Surprise Surprise. Collum is going to be the ref at Juventus tomorrow, I hope he's better than he was at Tynecastle on Saturday, he's got to be the worst ref on this planet.
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:08 pm 
Post subject:

Even the most incompetent solicitor should be able to drive a bulldozer through this case.

I doubt this outcome was what Celtic FC had in mind.
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:13 pm 
Post subject: Re: Josh Meekings Ban - Scots fitba an even bigger joke!

hulldon wrote:

But my main worry is the precedent that is potentially being set:(

Totally agree.
Human error is part of the game.
Have you ever seen the "Coach's Challenge" in action in the NFL?

That's, ultimately, where this nonsense would lead the game to.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:46 am 
Post subject: Re: Josh meekings ban

highlandjambo wrote:
Come on Tynie behave, they looked at it and .......He Slipped. Surprise Surprise. Collum is going to be the ref at Juventus tomorrow, I hope he's better than he was at Tynecastle on Saturday, he's got to be the worst ref on this planet.

Aye he slipped, on a big dod of shite Laughing

Collum is frankly the worst referee on the planet - FACT Wink
thegers

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:28 pm 
Post subject:

Have Regan and Doncaster not resigned yet.
Eck

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:02 pm 
Post subject:

Celtic's attempts at trying to win matches through politics and pressuring referee's goes way back, since the 90's it has escalated but in recent years it is through the roof, quite shameful behaviour.
It is true that they wouldn't have intended to get a ban for the player, I think they were after a replay or just pressure officials into giving them decisions in the future.
thegers

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:10 pm 
Post subject:

Eck wrote:
Celtic's attempts at trying to win matches through politics and pressuring referee's goes way back, since the 90's it has escalated but in recent years it is through the roof, quite shameful behaviour.
It is true that they wouldn't have intended to get a ban for the player, I think they were after a replay or just pressure officials into giving them decisions in the future.

eck
They were complaining about referee`s in the early 1960s

https://flic.kr/p/fmWDqM
Eck

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:32 pm 
Post subject:

thegers wrote:
Eck wrote:

eck
They were complaining about referee`s in the early 1960s

https://flic.kr/p/fmWDqM

Bertie Auld in a TV interview said, we knew we were getting nothing from refs. How did they manage 9 in a row then?
DonQuixote

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:25 pm 
Post subject:

Scottish FA has bottled it...Meekings now clear to play.
highlandjambo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:28 pm 
Post subject: Josh meekings ban

Jesus mate, are you having a laugh. Common sense I would say.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Everything and Anything Scottish. In Honour of John Holroyd. RIP. All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: