Football Programmes Centre

sportingold
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
sportingold
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Upcoming Sporting Auctions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goonerboy

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 7:07 pm 
Post subject:

in looking at the results it seems like about a third of the lots were unsold. It has been similar figure in the last couple of their auctions. . Is a third unsold typical of auctions in general ?

Seems quite high but maybe too many auctions and thus not enough decent stuff plus sellers maybe being a bit greedy with the reserve prices
Wullie

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 9:03 pm 
Post subject:

goonerboy wrote:
in looking at the results it seems like about a third of the lots were unsold. It has been similar figure in the last couple of their auctions. . Is a third unsold typical of auctions in general ?

Seems quite high but maybe too many auctions and thus not enough decent stuff plus sellers maybe being a bit greedy with the reserve prices

I would have thought the auctioneer would recommend the reserve price in cases where people selling have no understanding of prices ,i.e. stuff left in wills etc. In a case like this I can't see a relative being happy not selling and having programmes returned. Better to have no reserve and let the market decided. What people were willing to pay 6 or 7 years ago has to be irrelevant . Do auctioneers build up expectations only to disappoint ? A third unsold is a hell of a lot. Or maybe you are correct. Maybe not greedy sellers , just trying to get a return of what they paid.
Do sellers pay fees for unsold items ? I don't know.
RoddyN

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 5:44 pm 
Post subject:

For the auctioneer auctions are about total sales numbers not percentage of items sold and I think you will find that in the Sportingold auction there were several £1000 + items eg the Eddie Newton medal at £6,000. It seemed to tale off a tad at the end but overall I think he had a reasonable day at the office.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Upcoming Sporting Auctions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: