Football Programmes Centre

sportingold
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
sportingold
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Upcoming Sporting Auctions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
treble99

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:06 pm 
Post subject: sportingold

This catalogue has just gone online

I have had a very quick glance and one more time the Manchester United gems are out in abundance
They include a friendly against BAOR from 1946 which was Matt Busby's first overseas friendly
A few very very rare dogs bollocks postponed and an itinerary from a Manchester United tour to Hungary which will no doubt have the Manchester United museum locking horns with big willy collectors who like to fight for these sorts of things
Posh1959

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:20 pm 
Post subject:

a very good auction, some low estimates and some high ones in my opinion.
treble99

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:05 pm 
Post subject:

totally agree however they will find their own value
Dorking

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:29 pm 
Post subject:

This one made me sit up:-

892 CRYSTAL PALACE Twenty three bound volumes, Palace home programmes, 64-65 to 86/7 inclusive - Est circa £130.

So about a fiver a season, including binder!

Would probably cost about half as much again to have them posted if you didn't attend the auction in person!!! Laughing
treble99

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:37 pm 
Post subject:

depends whether you pack them in a reused crate and get them delivered in a knackered old truck using cheap red diesel
But that buggers up the planet so forget that idea

Very Happy Very Happy
gatfb

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 1:17 am 
Post subject:

I wonder how many people were as dopey as me and missed this auction thinking it was on Friday?
Posh1959

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 9:10 am 
Post subject:

I managed to buy the lots i wanted at in my opinion a sensible price.
martino

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 9:16 am 
Post subject:

gatfb wrote:
I wonder how many people were as dopey as me and missed this auction thinking it was on Friday?

When Chris posts the results, check the unsolds as the lots you were interested in may not have reached their reserve.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 9:18 am 
Post subject:

gatfb wrote:

That's why I started a thread listing upcoming auctions Very Happy
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 9:53 am 
Post subject: Re: sportingold

treble99 wrote:
This catalogue has just gone online

I have had a very quick glance and one more time the Manchester United gems are out in abundance
They include a friendly against BAOR from 1946 which was Matt Busby's first overseas friendly
A few very very rare dogs bollocks postponed and an itinerary from a Manchester United tour to Hungary which will no doubt have the Manchester United museum locking horns with big willy collectors who like to fight for these sorts of things

talk about the pot calling the kettle, still as he is not here at the moment I wonder who he was referring too Laughing

Estimate was £1800-2000 for the 1908 Tour to Hungary

Didn't look to me that anyone was "locking horns" over this item as it sold for only £1000- I suspect there was a certain amount of "fear" involved as if United were the bidders, they tend to get what they want and especially in the case of the recent ebay item at Burnley in 1909 for £3600 proving the point-are MU now the big willy's of United collecting-oh well the king is dead, long live the king eh....

A very significant item from the days when Manchester United as a club were just 6 years old-someone has obtained a bargain for sure, maybe the "club" were diverted in having to ensure their goalie accepted £800k a month wages + image rights+++ and someone else sneaked in to grab it Confused

It is items like this that historically show the origins of the club of what they were to now how they have become, obsessed with the $ in United's case due to the Yankee owners.

Wave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:27 am 
Post subject:

Leslie, do the club devote a sizable budget towards acquisitions for the museum?
martino

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:53 am 
Post subject:

If the estimate was £1,800 - £2,000, did it actually sell if the bidding only reached £1,000? I suspect the reserve may have been a lot higher than £1000.
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:55 am 
Post subject:

Tynie Topics wrote:
Leslie, do the club devote a sizable budget towards acquisitions for the museum?

Years ago they had to ask permission to fart in the museum when it was privately owned. Martin Edwards prior to selling to the Glazers frowned upon them ever having to "pay" for anything that they had once owned and expected everything to be given to the club for free.

When the new "guys" came in as Americans their second name is marketing and so over some time they will have realised that 2.5 million a year walk in the museum paying £3 a head needs to keep the public interest up perhaps.

The irony is that the museum has reserved a very limited area on virtually nothing in terms of space for the origins of the club, as today the majority want to see Giggs shirts, Rooneys boots, Cantona this or Ronaldo's that!.

The curator is a St. Johnstone supporter and this is just a job and has been for years but he had to beg to get some funds years ago and I suspect there is now a committee that he has to go to and say this is coming up at this auction and that is coming up a month later and it would be good that we should try and acquire it type of thing.

I took my stuff out after supporting them for 15 years as they asked me to pay £23 for an image I wanted for an article in programme monthly once as I could not get down there in time to take the photo on my phone and they refused to do it so ta ra from me.

I have come up against them on a fw of times and have won here and there but lost out in other areas.

Now they seem to be on ebay and they do not even attend auctions preferring to use the sale room and remain anonymous so to eventually answer your original question yes they must have a budget but so they should. The total misconception was they actually had very little in terms of programmes at one time and were missing many easy items but over the years I would imagine they have now filed in the gaps but 99.9% off their paper items are in an archive as they do not let anyone see it or devote anywhere near enough space either, from memory the displays from Newton Heath up to 1920 were pitiful in terms of the area allowed.

Let's face it there is a Newton Heath medal coming up at Graham Budds at around £15k this is where if they do not have one from another player they could be interested and when you are playing with those numbers then you will be one of a small number of exclusive buyers-but my willy aint that big the last time I looked, horses for courses.

Wave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 11:03 am 
Post subject:

martino wrote:
If the estimate was £1,800 - £2,000, did it actually sell if the bidding only reached £1,000? I suspect the reserve may have been a lot higher than £1000.

It actually sold for £1000 plus the usual add on costs.

The estimates for such an item were plucked out of the air it seems then based on this, the reserve must have been the £1000 mark or so and with minimal interest maybe from 2 bidders they took the money and ran?. They thought it an important item and they were right but they did not raise the profile perhaps high enough to get sufficient interest.

Wave
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 11:19 am 
Post subject:

manchesterunitedman1 wrote:
Tynie Topics wrote:

Years ago they had to ask permission to fart in the museum when it was privately owned. Martin Edwards prior to selling to the Glazers frowned upon them ever having to "pay" for anything that they had once owned and expected everything to be given to the club for free.

When the new "guys" came in as Americans their second name is marketing and so over some time they will have realised that 2.5 million a year walk in the museum paying £3 a head needs to keep the public interest up perhaps.

The irony is that the museum has reserved a very limited area on virtually nothing in terms of space for the origins of the club, as today the majority want to see Giggs shirts, Rooneys boots, Cantona this or Ronaldo's that!.

The curator is a St. Johnstone supporter and this is just a job and has been for years but he had to beg to get some funds years ago and I suspect there is now a committee that he has to go to and say this is coming up at this auction and that is coming up a month later and it would be good that we should try and acquire it type of thing.

I took my stuff out after supporting them for 15 years as they asked me to pay £23 for an image I wanted for an article in programme monthly once as I could not get down there in time to take the photo on my phone and they refused to do it so ta ra from me.

I have come up against them on a fw of times and have won here and there but lost out in other areas.

Now they seem to be on ebay and they do not even attend auctions preferring to use the sale room and remain anonymous so to eventually answer your original question yes they must have a budget but so they should. The total misconception was they actually had very little in terms of programmes at one time and were missing many easy items but over the years I would imagine they have now filed in the gaps but 99.9% off their paper items are in an archive as they do not let anyone see it or devote anywhere near enough space either, from memory the displays from Newton Heath up to 1920 were pitiful in terms of the area allowed.

Let's face it there is a Newton Heath medal coming up at Graham Budds at around £15k this is where if they do not have one from another player they could be interested and when you are playing with those numbers then you will be one of a small number of exclusive buyers-but my willy aint that big the last time I looked, horses for courses.

Wave

Thanks Leslie, interesting. I guess with the footfall it is pretty much self-funding although I suppose the revenues go straight into the “pot” as opposed to a buying fund.
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 11:34 am 
Post subject:

gatfb wrote:

If treble had still been on board he would no doubt have posted a few more times so you would have been unlikely to have forgotten the date. Laughing

Fortunately I remembered and bagged a couple of items.
Posh1959

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 12:04 pm 
Post subject:

Just phoned and paid for my winning bids, surprised the office is open today. Bispham ---What did you think of the prices for the 2 Blackpool v Wednesday war cup programmes?
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 12:21 pm 
Post subject:

Posh1959 wrote:
Just phoned and paid for my winning bids, surprised the office is open today. Bispham ---What did you think of the prices for the 2 Blackpool v Wednesday war cup programmes?

I never imagined they would fetch that much, although since these 2 programmes last appeared together in decent condition there are 2 more serious Blackpool collectors on the scene who I imagine may have had a hand in pushing the price up.

Whereas prices have generally fallen over the last few years (you can now get the Blackpool v Norwich LC semi for a fraction of the price it was about 6 or 7 years ago) these War Cup final programmes just keep going up and up.
gatfb

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 5:11 pm 
Post subject:

' If treble had still been on board he would no doubt have posted a few more times so you would have been unlikely to have forgotten the date. Laughing

Fortunately I remembered and bagged a couple of items.'

A couple of lots I was interested in went relatively cheaply but on the bright side I might now be able to bid on a couple of lots @ the Graham Budd auction with the money saved.
dangerman

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 5:15 pm 
Post subject:

bagged the 3" photo of tommy taylor for £18
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Upcoming Sporting Auctions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: