Football Programmes Centre

Dedicated Auction Thread?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Dedicated Auction Thread?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Upcoming Sporting Auctions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:02 pm 
Post subject: Dedicated Auction Thread?

Would it be a good idea to have a thread solely for highlighting upcoming auctions featuring either programmes exclusively, or which form a significant part of it? (as opposed to a separate thread per auction).

I know there are collectors out there who keep track of all the bigger auctions so it would be good to keep track of them for us mere mortals who don’t have the time to keep upto speed with them all, there’s so many (some are advertised in Programme Monthly, some are not).

I appreciate there are going to be smaller non-specific auctions with the odd gem that some will want to keep to themselves, fair enough, but if we could cover the more well known auctions it would be a good service for the forum to provide. Thoughts? Volunteers?
TheMusic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:15 pm 
Post subject:

Good idea! Thumbs Up
BAZZABAGGIES

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:20 pm 
Post subject:

Went to a local auction today..
They had 12 Aston Villa home programmes from 1992 with an estimate of £40 to £50. Shocked Shocked
TheMusic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:24 pm 
Post subject:

Still a good idea. Maybe treble could pitch in occasionally with his previous idea of 'guess the hammer price of these items', which would also entertain, I'd imagine.
Rocky

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:34 pm 
Post subject:

BAZZABAGGIES wrote:
Went to a local auction today..
They had 12 Aston Villa home programmes from 1992 with an estimate of £40 to £50. Shocked Shocked
To think…if they had only come on the forum and asked for a free and beneficial valuation before coming up with that estimate. So sad.
Confused
treble99

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:40 pm 
Post subject:

TheMusic wrote:
Still a good idea. Maybe treble could pitch in occasionally with his previous idea of 'guess the hammer price of these items', which would also entertain, I'd imagine.

It could possibly be a good idea if we didn't have as many all take and no give merchants on here
I wouldn't want to point a finger but if your cap fits etc etc etc
PompeyPhil

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:48 pm 
Post subject:

At a glance I thought this thread was titled deleted auction thread.......turned out it wasn't, but its heading that way again.......someone comes up with an idea, no abuse or swear words included and guess what its shot to pieces, the majority of the forum is as usual classified by the resident "expect" or should that read "bully" and it descends into the usual throwing of insults........its getting rather boring now and I'm sure I'm not the only one fed up with it. As an old manager once said "time to change the record"...... Cue the abuse.........
PompeyPhil

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:01 pm 
Post subject:

Try reading the thread from the beginning........idea suggested, nothing in the post remotely relating to you but for some reason you opening gambit is about non collectors and the usual ask the wife crap........
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:40 pm 
Post subject:

PompeyPhil wrote:
At a glance I thought this thread was titled deleted auction thread.......turned out it wasn't, but its heading that way again.......someone comes up with an idea, no abuse or swear words included and guess what its shot to pieces, the majority of the forum is as usual classified by the resident "expect" or should that read "bully" and it descends into the usual throwing of insults........its getting rather boring now and I'm sure I'm not the only one fed up with it. As an old manager once said "time to change the record"...... Cue the abuse.........

Sad that it has come to this but hopefully some cards are dished out, only way to stop it. Anyway back on topic......

I thought the thread would contain a list of upcoming major auctions, similar to the panel down the right side of the forum for upcoming fairs.

An easy reference thread that anyone can add to, with maybe someone given access to tidy it up now and again (to take the burden off PP)
RoddyN

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:06 pm 
Post subject:

Tynie Topics wrote:
PompeyPhil wrote:

Sad that it has come to this but hopefully some cards are dished out, only way to stop it. Anyway back on topic......

I thought the thread would contain a list of upcoming major auctions, similar to the panel down the right side of the forum for upcoming fairs.

An easy reference thread that anyone can add to, with maybe someone given access to tidy it up now and again (to take the burden off PP)

Treble is 100% correct. Why on earth would anyone want to make others aware of what was coming up at a forthcoming auction so that they can be outbid after having done all their research. This is part of the thrill of the auction process. Find an auction that no one has bothered to find, then do some research and buy a bargain basement lot. Why should one do other people 's spade work for them? As Treble rightly says it is more or less already handed out on a plate through thesaleroom.com so there is no need to make it even easier. His posts could be construed as a little abusive at times but to my mind he talks a lot of sense and showing up a lot of rather narrow minded and lazy individuals.
Wullie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:22 pm 
Post subject:

Ah yes, the friendly hobby. Rockyboro guided me to an auction in the North East some time back. And I got some great stuff from there. Sadly it's no longer active. If I got the chance to return the favour I wouldn't hesitate.
Posh1959

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:23 pm 
Post subject:

I agree totally, i once found some programmes at an auction not covered by the saleroom, lo and behold someone else who obviously had no interest in bidding told the world by posting the details on here, it is obvious the person had no intention of bidding as he would not have posted the details.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:28 pm 
Post subject:

RoddyN wrote:

Treble is 100% correct. Why on earth would anyone want to make others aware of what was coming up at a forthcoming auction so that they can be outbid after having done all their research. This is part of the thrill of the auction process. Find an auction that no one has bothered to find, then do some research and buy a bargain basement lot. Why should one do other people 's spade work for them? As Treble rightly says it is more or less already handed out on a plate through thesaleroom.com so there is no need to make it even easier. His posts could be construed as a little abusive at times but to my mind he talks a lot of sense and showing up a lot of rather narrow minded and lazy individuals.

What a load of utter nonsense, narrow minded? FFS Confused

It would be a thread to HELP people in the same manner that we have a list of upcoming fairs, nothing more, nothing less. I did mention that this would mainly cover the larger auctions, not necessarily the obscure local ones with a lot or two lots of programmes.

If some individuals do not want to be helpful and keep the info to themselves, then that is entirely upto them. There might be another member who also knows about the auction who chooses to post details.

It helps spread the word, anyone can contribute if they want to, or not as the case may be.

Why did I even think that starting a thread like this wouldn't lead to anything but arguments. This place gets worse by the day.
RoddyN

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:32 pm 
Post subject:

Wullie wrote:
Ah yes, the friendly hobby. Rockyboro guided me to an auction in the North East some time back. And I got some great stuff from there. Sadly it's no longer active. If I got the chance to return the favour I wouldn't hesitate.

Wullie - I would always reciprocate on an individual basis when someone had been helpful. But why tell the whole world? That is absurd. Let people do their own home work. They don't need to be spoon fed.
pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:33 pm 
Post subject:

Start a thread TT.
I will set it as a sticky to keep it at the top.
Any replies it gets that are abusive will be removed.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
TheMusic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:37 pm 
Post subject:

If the only reason not to update other collectors of auctions is that they themselves or others might not get a bargain, it would be a pretty selfish reason, no?

We, I assume, all appreciate the chance to fill gaps in our collections but we don't owe anyone the right to get a bargain - if someone, through their own hard work, gets a bargain, good on them. If they happen not to be the only bidder at an auction, it's just tough luck, surely?

As Tynie said, people would be welcome to keep potentially significant info on auctions to themselves if they intend to bid, but if they are third parties simply looking to help several others out (or even promote auctions where they have submitted items) and with time on their hands, surely posting about them is far better than not bothering to call attention to auctions at all.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:43 pm 
Post subject:

pastpirate wrote:
Start a thread TT.
I will set it as a sticky to keep it at the top.
Any replies it gets that are abusive will be removed.

OK, will pull together a list later on to kick-off with - from info that's already freely available.
bobholl29

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:48 pm 
Post subject: Auctions Thread

I bet the auctioneers will love this free advertising, and the thought that with the increased bidders around, they will get 25-30% (seller+buyer %) commission of a greater price obtained.

=
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:19 pm 
Post subject:

Just picked up on this thread which looks like some posts have been removed based on what some others have said.

If posts are going to be removed it would make sense to remove the posts referring to the deleted ones as a couple of the comments don't appear to make sense.
WHU2711

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:37 pm 
Post subject: Re: Auctions Thread

bobholl29 wrote:
I bet the auctioneers will love this free advertising, and the thought that with the increased bidders around, they will get 25-30% (seller+buyer %) commission of a greater price obtained.

=

Have to agree with this and a lot of what Treble and others against this have mentioned, people who put the time in an identify items they want will now potentially have to pay more for an item as others have been notified for free
I do not agree with a lot of what Treble says but the post I managed to read before it was deleted I support.
What next you view an item and see a rare ticket inside a programme then let everyone else know about it?
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Upcoming Sporting Auctions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: