Football Programmes Centre

Complete run of Rothmans/Sky Sports
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Complete run of Rothmans/Sky Sports

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Get a valuation here
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Catcon55

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:27 am 
Post subject: Complete run of Rothmans/Sky Sports

Hi everyone,
Would anyone have any idea what the set would fetch , 1970/71 to 2014/15?
The 70/71 is in good nick but has writing on it and a few of the 80s editions are ropey enough but all intact.....be grateful for any advice, thanks lads

Thumbs Up
kenners46

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:57 am 
Post subject:

I sold a complete run a couple of years ago for £125 mostly vgc...you will probably get more selling the 1970s individually
Catcon55

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:53 am 
Post subject:

kenners46 wrote:
I sold a complete run a couple of years ago for £125 mostly vgc...you will probably get more selling the 1970s individually

Cheers Kenners, appreciate the advice....

Patrick
RoddyN

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:08 am 
Post subject: Re: Complete run of Rothmans/Sky Sports

Catcon55 wrote:
Hi everyone,
Would anyone have any idea what the set would fetch , 1970/71 to 2014/15?
The 70/71 is in good nick but has writing on it and a few of the 80s editions are ropey enough but all intact.....be grateful for any advice, thanks lads

Thumbs Up

Depends whether they are Hard back or Softback. Massive difference.
Catcon55

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:53 am 
Post subject:

Hi Roddy,

Only one is hardback and that is a modern edition, the rest are softback...

I think Kenners is right though, might be easier to sell the 70s editions, I know you can buy a lot of later editions for literally pennies so that might be the way to go.....

Patrick
RoddyN

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:44 pm 
Post subject:

It will take you a long time to do that. You will be lucky to sell some of them individually over a long period of listings. It may be a discount to the amount that you would expect individually but it releases them immediately if you can sell in one shot at auction and the early ones should help the others sell. Always the dilemma of putting bulk in an auction and thinking that you can get more by selling individually.
Catcon55

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:40 pm 
Post subject:

RoddyN wrote:
It will take you a long time to do that. You will be lucky to sell some of them individually over a long period of listings. It may be a discount to the amount that you would expect individually but it releases them immediately if you can sell in one shot at auction and the early ones should help the others sell. Always the dilemma of putting bulk in an auction and thinking that you can get more by selling individually.

Thanks Roddy & Kenners

To be honest I just want to move them on and I don't think anyone on here would be interested in them so I might just stick the whole lot on eBay at a buy it now cheapish price.

Cheers,

Patrick
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:22 pm 
Post subject:

Hi Catcon,

I agree with Roddy and Kenners.

On my memorabilia blog website, I recently posted a brief guide to the Rothmans Yearbooks and towards the end, I've put a few comments about value which support the above views (see link below).

I do sell them in my Ebay Shop but they sell slowly although buyers can come from all directions; sold 5 to a guy in Norway 2 weeks ago!

The early / 70's and recent 2000's ones have better binding than the 80's and especially the 90's which often splits meaning the books flap open at certain folds.

I've bought a couple of job lots at auction but condition can be very varied and unless I've checked the bindings of those books in the middle decades, I won't bid.

As I mention and you can see from an Ebay search, people do put sets or near sets on Ebay for anything up to £600 but they are probably very lucky to get anywhere near that should someone actually buy.

As mentioned by the others, Hardbacks are of higher value but also rarer and probably less collected.

A respected cricket book restorer who also collects football memorabilia told me that he has a complete set of hardbacks.

As yet, the collecting of hardback or softback is not the same as in the collecting of Wisdens where the priority and big money (for early editions) is in the hardbacks and then people with less dosh collect the softbacks.

With Rothmans, it seems to be almost all softbacks with a few hardbacks knocking around.

Historically, for many years, the supply of books (and ultimately prices for vintage items) by Wisden has been at around 40,000 books a year with a very small amount (under 1,000) published in the WW2 years, thereby increasing current values significantly for both softback and especially hardback editions.

I've no clue how many Rothmans have been published each year or how many Headline issue currently.

As I mention in the post, as far as a like for like comparison between Wisden and Rothmans collecting, we are still early in the life of Rothmans (back in WW1 years as far as Wisdens would have been at the same time).

Wisden is now over 150 years old and maybe it will be interesting to see how Rothmans values and collecting with be in another 100 years.

Will there be any books?

http://www.goalsandwickets.co......-yearbook/
grantham

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:29 pm 
Post subject:

Wanted - 3 Rothmans 70/71, 72/73 and 85/86

If they are a reasonable price ?
treble99

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:42 pm 
Post subject:

grantham wrote:

am i right in presuming that "reasonable" is less than " a bit pricey" but more than 50p but that must include postage

That's a throwback to the old days of "no reasonable offer refused" but i'll tell you what's reasonable
grantham

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:49 pm 
Post subject:

Yes
Catcon55

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:41 pm 
Post subject:

grantham wrote:

Hi Grantham,
Thanks for asking but to be honest I think I'm going to try to sell as one lot....

To Mark from Goals and Wickets, thanks for the very informative advice , your website is a credit to you and I've enjoyed reading many of your articles ..... Thumbs Up
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:43 pm 
Post subject:

Catcon55 wrote:
grantham wrote:

Hi Grantham,
Thanks for asking but to be honest I think I'm going to try to sell as one lot....

To Mark from Goals and Wickets, thanks for the very informative advice , your website is a credit to you and I've enjoyed reading many of your articles ..... Thumbs Up

Thanks very much Catcon Smile
smithysprogrammes

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:18 pm 
Post subject:

sorry to change the subject to the OP. does the football league review really fetch £2.75 each on goals and wickets, an honest question?
Goalsandwickets

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:59 pm 
Post subject:

Smithy, that includes Free Postage, so really, they sell like a programme from the 65-75 era and I only charge £1.75 (inc. P & P) for the later seasons, for the ones in GOOD not VERY GOOD condition.

Some people charge more on Ebay (i.e. £3.99-ish) but I'm not sure they sell any.

You can do the Ebay Search and click 'Sold Listings' on the left side menu and you'll see what sells including mine.

I like them, so I make the effort but they are, in reality, another example of an item that needs quite a lot of time to build a critical mass (as you probably know with the quantity of stuff you list).

Without the centre pages team photos that some people rip out, they are not even worth listing, at any price.

They rarely come up at auction and the small bulk lots that people sell are not always checked.

There is a lot of tat around in those lots too with creases and tears and marks.

I've just bought some that looked good but I'll wait with baited breath to see what I actually get as far as quality and team photos are concerned.

The seller says they are in VGC and it may well be that they are but as we all know, VGC means different things to different people!
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Get a valuation here All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: