Football Programmes Centre

The very early days of collecting...
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The very early days of collecting...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:12 pm 
Post subject:

Were you the "Midland Programme Shop", Barry?
Ruud Van Driver

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:56 pm 
Post subject:

BAZZABAGGIES wrote:
Cockermouth Very Happy

Did you visit my shop in Bloxwich Walsall in the late 1980s . It was a gold mine for picking up programmes it was on the main commuter route into Wolverhampton.
I used to open five hours a day, one day an old chap left a case full of programmes for selling with the hairdressers next door. He said he lived local and walked with the case from his home.
Inside were over 400 programmes pre 1960 forty Pre war Wolves including early 1930s Exeter v Wolves at Trowbridge.
He never came back I kept them for several months i made enquires who he was but in the end i assumed he had died.

I could write a book on the goings on in that shop and with the hairdressers next door... Those were the days.. Very Happy

No Barry, moved away from Walsall in 1983 so was unaware of it. My Dad went there once but it was closed so he left a case of programmes next door, he wants to know how much they're worth and where you live?!!

Seem to remember there being a programme shop at the top of Bradford Street (from memory) towards the Manor Hospital or was that the Walsall FC shop?
Jim LFC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:09 pm 
Post subject:

Programme Shops...... Imagine telling the young 'uns that, and they'd never believe you!! Shocked

Another name I've just remembered - Peter Pickup.....from York I think. Smile
TheMusic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:27 pm 
Post subject:

Now we all just want to know when Bazza's book "Confessions of a Programme Dealer" is coming out, no?
Grumpypants

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:48 pm 
Post subject:

Bazzerbaggies you mentioned John Garrard. I had many dealings with him and visited him many times. Is he still going? I think his premises were just up the road from West Brom's ground.
Also does anyone remember Harvey Andrews. He was my first dealer that I had connections with, I think he was based in or near Birmingham.
BAZZABAGGIES

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:54 pm 
Post subject:

John sold up and went to live in Tamworth I saw him a few years back but he must be getting on now. He teamed up with Tony Matthews for a while at their shop in Oxhill Rd Near The Baggies ground.
He flogged his business and stock for £25,000 ? to some dealers from East Anglia/Norfolk way. there was a dodgy flood before he left to get rid of his left over bulk. Shocked
BAZZABAGGIES

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:00 pm 
Post subject:

derby1884 wrote:
Were you the "Midland Programme Shop", Barry?

No that was John Garrad..
Another shop was The Programme Cabin in Birstall Leeds I purchased all the stock from Dick Fenwick (RIP) in the 1980s
(A lorry load) I still have some of the Leeds bulk he used to have. There was so much stock I had to leave several thousand..
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:07 pm 
Post subject:

Jim LFC wrote:
Programme Shops...... Imagine telling the young 'uns that, and they'd never believe you!! Shocked

Did a very good home/away subscription service for Bradford Park Avenue programmes which I signed up for for 2 or 3 years.
overlap

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:44 pm 
Post subject:

I remember visiting John Garrad's shop near West Brom's ground when I lived in Birmingham circa 2000 to 2002. Walked from the station, and his shop was above a women;s hairdressers as I remember correctly. Had just started collecting and he was a real gentleman, sharing info, advice etc. It was a cramped Aladin's Cave of a place with racks and racks of stuff. I remember he said he was selling... business was bought by 2 guys in Ipswich, who brought out catalogues then suddenly stopped. I think they also had a garden centre business!
pafcprogs

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:57 pm 
Post subject:

God this takes me back...

Sports programmes scroll ( great description) then straight onto the phone , hitting redial until you got through...sometimes leaving my mum to continue so I could go to college.

I bought a Man United Plymouth for £35 ( 35/6 if I recall....) for Peter Pickup....cost me a lot more than that when I bought it again recently!

Midland programme shop...went there on a day Argyle played away at Walsall....found a few nice bits and got a cuppa for my trouble...then got to Walsall where a couple of Saddlers who had come back to watch Brian taylor ( we had just signed him) play and handed me a grandstand complimentary....and then proceeded to cocede in the dorst twi minutes and grind out a 0-1 defeat.

Broken down train at Exeter after three hours in the buffet at Temple Meads I went straight to my lecture at Plymouth Poly and fell asleep in the back row!

You tell that to kids today....!
Posh1959

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:02 pm 
Post subject:

derby1884 wrote:
Jim LFC wrote:
derby1884 wrote:
Alan Clegg who was based in Accrington.

Yes! As I remember his prices were quite steep! No

He sold me a 65/6 Blackburn v Northampton LC s/sheet issue for just a fiver.

I think he had a shop, too, back in 1980.
I certainly recall ploughing through boxloads of 50s progs he had (but finding nothing)

I dont recall Cleggy having a shop, the shop in Blackburn was John Bentley
Posh1959

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:03 pm 
Post subject:

Jim LFC wrote:

Peter Pickup was from Pudsey
thegers

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:03 pm 
Post subject:

in the 1970s there was a Programme shop in Glasgow on Paisley road west right below the Kingston Bridge called the Glasgow Programme shop.
The shop was run by Steven Jacobs and Martin Soloman, many a saturday and sunday i spent in here browsing through thousands of programmes.
Steven still operates online at glasgowprogrammes.com and he also has a stall at every Rangers home match.
nozer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:19 pm 
Post subject: Shops

Grumpypants wrote:
Bazzerbaggies you mentioned John Garrard. I had many dealings with him and visited him many times. Is he still going? I think his premises were just up the road from West Brom's ground.
Also does anyone remember Harvey Andrews. He was my first dealer that I had connections with, I think he was based in or near Birmingham.

Harvey Andrews ran Wolves shop early 70s ,was more like a large shed domasiled next to the North Bank at Molineux ,think the guy was a Folk Singer muscian and ran the "shop" with his wife.

Shop was not much to look at but was a little treasure trove inside Giant photo of The Doog for 10p and him autographing it for me before the game .

Happy Days.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:56 pm 
Post subject:

thegers wrote:
in the 1970s there was a Programme shop in Glasgow on Paisley road west right below the Kingston Bridge called the Glasgow Programme shop.
The shop was run by Steven Jacobs and Martin Soloman, many a saturday and sunday i spent in here browsing through thousands of programmes.
Steven still operates online at glasgowprogrammes.com and he also has a stall at every Rangers home match.

Alan Cunningham ran a shop for many years in Edinburgh from Forth Street and then latterly Spittal Street (and a stall at Tynecastle), then Alan Geekie briefly from a shop near Tynecastle.
foxes1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:21 pm 
Post subject:

One who I used to have dealings with was Basil Godley who I believe did or still does do a write-up in Gainsborough Trinity programmes.

I can also remember visiting a shop near Highbury a few years ago, not sure who ran it though.
pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:02 pm 
Post subject: Re: Shops

nozer wrote:
Grumpypants wrote:

Harvey Andrews ran Wolves shop early 70s ,was more like a large shed domasiled next to the North Bank at Molineux ,think the guy was a Folk Singer muscian and ran the "shop" with his wife.

If he's the same Harvey Andrews I am thinking of he sang one of the greatest songs I have ever heard. Called the soldier. Google it, it's on utube. Ignore the politics, just listen to the words.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
Grumpypants

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:26 pm 
Post subject:

My God!! I remember that song from the 1970's and was reduced to tears then!!! Remembered the song never knew who sang it. Very moving lyrics. Crying or Very sad
thegers

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:02 pm 
Post subject:

Tynie Topics wrote:
thegers wrote:

Alan Cunningham ran a shop for many years in Edinburgh from Forth Street and then latterly Spittal Street (and a stall at Tynecastle), then Alan Geekie briefly from a shop near Tynecastle.

i remember going to Tynecastle in the early 70s and there was a programme shop round the corner from the stadium, cant remember exactly where it was, 2 mins from the stadium ?
Sprogs

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:29 pm 
Post subject: London shops

Not sure if this is accurate - perhaps Barry can verify - but I seem to recall reading that Lord Kinnaird had a shop on the fringes of London, within carriage distance from his old school at Eton. He eventually closed it following several disturbing visits from ruffians seeking Thames Ironworks programmes. Sadly his Lordship passed away in January 1923, before he was able to add the first Wembley Cup Final programme to his collection.

On a rather more credible note, credit is surely due to John Daniels whose south London shop was a haven for most London area collectors for quite a few years.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: