Football Programmes Centre

IS GRAHAM BUDD AUCTIONS BANNED???????
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
IS GRAHAM BUDD AUCTIONS BANNED???????
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Upcoming Sporting Auctions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:13 pm 
Post subject: IS GRAHAM BUDD AUCTIONS BANNED???????

No mention of Graham Budd's Auction in November and not a word since it took place earlier this week, did I miss something? did he expose himself? has he links to Al Queda?, is he not nice to his Mother?.

Well if none of these apply to Graham and I know they do not, how come no one is talking about his great catalogue as always for all sports and in particular his football items that went under the hammer this week.

Did anyone go, did anyone buy anything- I bought a few bits n pieces and was very pleased indeed, has anyone else got anything to say, were the prices overall high or ok or low or what?

Without a doubt the most professional catalogue produced in our hobby for sure and he certainly gets some great items, yet it is astonishing no one even bothers to mention him, well I did so if no one else has anything to say I have recorded my thoughts.

Wave

leslie millman is manchesterunitedman1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
BAZZABAGGIES

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:55 pm 
Post subject:

There is only you and Ray can afford to pay Harrods Prices. Sherlock

They are mostly Netto and Aldi buyers on here.
sydenham hill

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:42 pm 
Post subject:

I agree Leslie, Graham Budd`s catalogues are superbly produced and to me are collectables themselves, and as he only does two a year, he sells quality rather than just quantity, i managed to get the privately taken photos from the 1901 cup final, which although cost me quite a bit, will add greatly to my 1901 cup final collection, i rang him the morning after the sale, he sounded a bit groggy, probably been celebrating the sale of Sir Stanley Matthews 1953 cup winners medal
treble99

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:02 am 
Post subject:

i suspect that nobody on the forum mentions the undoubted best sports auction house in the country,possibly the world is because it is different class to what most of the non collecting collectors are about.
Graham superbly blends the history and tradition of Sothebys with his own extensive knowledge and contacts to offer the best available in sport with a biase on horse racing and football,to attract the best artifacts on sale.
The sheer quality of his items means he attracts the top tier of collectors such as the Wray collection and Neville Evans(The Football Museum)
With those two alone in the ring you know the prices will be huge and that's before you throw in the possibility of the club(Blackpool in the Mathews medal situation) or even possibly an interest from the owner of Stoke who is Bet365
Maybe the PFA would have an interest for their own offices
All in all they are out of the price range of mere mortals
These are not the sort of items that a dealer could afford to be seen around to offer at a rapidly declining programme fair.
Even the items that Graham lists as "a general box of" sells for £5000.
I personally bought an itinerary i needed to add to my already large collection.
There were other items i needed but decided a United 1929(v Sunderland) was not worth £3400
I was happy to make a "last traded price" note to this effect next to a copy that already sits nicely in my own collection
I did miss out on a 1916/17 programme v Blackpool that went for a more reasonable and acceptable £2300(£1900 plus the bits)
That helped me put a value on a scrapbook i recently purchased covering the first world war that has 6 Manchester United WW1 programmes in it
So all in all a very exciting auction
I think it would be fair to say that everybody(buyer,underbidder,seller and auctioneer) were very happy for different reasons
I allowed myself a little smile with the thought that i wondered if these items would be despatched by Graham,in a reused envelope with a steamed off stamp

Last edited by treble99 on Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:13 am 
Post subject:

treble99 wrote:
i suspect that nobody on the forum mentions the undoubted best sports auction house in the country,possibly the world is because it is different class to what most of the non collecting collectors are about.
Graham superbly blends the history and tradition of Sothebys with his own extensive knowledge and contacts to offer the best available in sport with a biase on horse racing and football,to attract the best artifacts on sale.
The sheer quality of his items means he attracts the top tier of collectors such as the Wray collection and Neville Evans(The Football Museum)
With those two alone in the ring you know the prices will be huge and that's before you throw in the possibility of the club(Blackpool in the Mathews medal situation) or even possibly an interest from the owner of Stoke who is Betfair
Maybe the PFA would have an interest for their own offices
All in all they are out of the price range of mere mortals
These are not the sort of items that a dealer could afford to be seen around to offer at a rapidly declining programme fair.
Even the items that Graham lists as "a general box of" sells for £5000.
I personally bought an itinerary i needed to add to my already large collection.
There were other items i needed but decided a United 1929(v Sunderland) was not worth £3400
I was happy to make a "last traded price" note to this effect next to a copy that already sits nicely in my own collection
I did miss out on a 1916/17 programme v Blackpool that went for a more reasonable and acceptable £2300(£1900 plus the bits)
That helped me put a value on a scrapbook i recently purchased covering the first world war that has 6 Manchester United WW1 programmes in it
So all in all a very exciting auction
I think it would be fair to say that everybody(buyer,underbidder,seller and auctioneer) were very happy for different reasons
I allowed myself a little smile with the thought that i wondered if these items would be despatched by Graham,in a reused envelope with a steamed off stamp

To be fair, he's not in my league.
treble99

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:20 am 
Post subject:

He's mostly out of my league but i enjoy,not resent the auction

It is a flagship that keeps the hobby high profile as opposed to spiralling programme fairs that WILL only end up one way except for the top 2 or 3 fairs
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:58 pm 
Post subject:

Not sure anyone resents the auction, it’s just out of range for 99% of private collectors and therefore not many will check it out and comment on it on here.

I don’t check Sotheby’s auctions when they are selling rare Ferrari’s, I might check the BCA website though to see if there’s a nice Ford Focus coming up that I can afford….
treble99

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:11 pm 
Post subject:

But if you are a buyer and seller or collector of cars you would surely watch all the top car auctions to keep abreast of the market
Even more so if you regularly felt obliged to go on a car collectors forum and voice a "so called" expert opinion which usually revolves around the phrase "it's not worth it"

If however you are a Del Boy type car dealer and proud to be one then it makes sense
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:21 pm 
Post subject:

I wasn't even aware of the auction. Perhaps others on this forum were the same.

Perhaps if a link was posted here in advance of the auction?
treble99

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:29 pm 
Post subject:

i should think are were too many collectors not aware Graham Budds auction
There are only two a year.In summer(usually May) and in winter(usually November)

It's a bit like New Year's Eve
You know it's happening so you just keep an eye out

Let's face it most people now use the Salesroom so very little gets past most collecting collectors and even bedroom bandits these days
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:57 pm 
Post subject:

I am sure most serious collectors on here and the majority of regular visitors/posters to this site were aware of this auction.

It did get a mention a while back on here with a link to the saleroom.com regarding the Stanley Matthews medal.

Also the cover of the classified supplement to the November Programme Monthly was wholly dedicated to this auction.
Posh1959

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:09 pm 
Post subject:

A quality auction but rarely has anything of interest for me
treble99

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:05 pm 
Post subject:

Posh1959 wrote:
A quality auction but rarely has anything of interest for me

i fully understand and totally agree

It's like me and the quality programme fairs such as Manchester and the big London fairs
They are quality fairs but rarely have anything of interest to me
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:24 pm 
Post subject:

treble99 wrote:
But if you are a buyer and seller or collector of cars you would surely watch all the top car auctions to keep abreast of the market
Even more so if you regularly felt obliged to go on a car collectors forum and voice a "so called" expert opinion which usually revolves around the phrase "it's not worth it"

If however you are a Del Boy type car dealer and proud to be one then it makes sense

I dont really have much requirement to keep abreast of the market at Budd's auction as it will always be way above my spending power (when they have items I'm interested in), but yes, if I remember I would have a look at the catalogue to see what items are going through just out of curiosity, but frankly I forgot this time round.

I don't forget to look at the likes of FSA or Sportingold as they carry items which fall into my collecting categories which are generally far more attinainable for me so I tend to remember to check.

I dont think it's too "Del Boy" to be fair, if the well off collectors want to crow about Budds auction and coughing up four figure sums then fair enough, this is what the forum should be about, but to compalin that nobody is talking about this high level auction is a wee bit weird imo.
martino

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:24 pm 
Post subject:

QUOTE I don't forget to look at the likes of FSA or Sportingold as they carry items which fall into my collecting categories which are generally far more attinainable for me so I tend to remember to check.

I dont think it's too "Del Boy" to be fair, if the well off collectors want to crow about Budds auction and coughing up four figure sums then fair enough, this is what the forum should be about, but to compalin that nobody is talking about this high level auction is a wee bit weird imo.[/quote]

I totally agree.

Can anyone tell me Budd's current buying and selling commission and other costs - not just the commission rate but all the other costs as well?
Dorking

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:40 pm 
Post subject:

I always like to take a look at what Graham Budd has to offer, just out of interest, but as most have said on here, it is pretty much out of my league stuff which he sells!

A couple of years ago, he had rather a large collection of pre-war Gillingham programmes, and I was very happy when whoever won that auction, then split the programmes up, and I was able to obtain the 1920/21 programme versus Palace (my team).

I do enjoy looking at the well photographed pictures of what he has to offer though.

Sportingold sometimes has stuff I am after at prices more in line with my level of collecting, and most of my best (rarest/or favourite) stuff has come from good old ebay, which for all it's knockers, has so much going for it.
treble99

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:08 pm 
Post subject:

martino wrote:
QUOTE I don't forget to look at the likes of FSA or Sportingold as they carry items which fall into my collecting categories which are generally far more attinainable for me so I tend to remember to check.

I dont think it's too "Del Boy" to be fair, if the well off collectors want to crow about Budds auction and coughing up four figure sums then fair enough, this is what the forum should be about, but to complain that nobody is talking about this high level auction is a wee bit weird imo.

I totally agree.

Can anyone tell me Budd's current buying and selling commission and other costs - not just the commission rate but all the other costs as well?[/quote]

If you have to ask the question about commission it's already probably past your budget.
That,of course is not a problem but a fact nevertheless.
Do you want me to add taxi fares,to and from the auction, as well or is that too much compared to say bus prices
blackburncollector

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:15 pm 
Post subject:

after reading through this thread, its good to see the class system alive and well, even in the humble programme collecting 'community'

Sad
goonerboy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:56 pm 
Post subject:

[quote="treble99If you have to ask the question about commission it's already probably past your budget.
That,of course is not a problem but a fact nevertheless.
Do you want me to add taxi fares,to and from the auction, as well or is that too much compared to say bus prices[/quote]

what the f**k ? why do you always have to be demeaning about others ? does it make you feel an important person if you can bandy about how big is your collection, how many expensive items you have, how much money you have etc ? People enjoy your flickr site as they do other's sites and you have a lot of knowledge about manu items but why do most of your threads have to involve some level of bragging or belittling others ? Give it a rest and just let folks on here get the benefit of your knowledge and collection without the "big I am" sprinkled all over it
PompeyPhil

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:04 pm 
Post subject:

Well said that man......and by the way can anyone state what their fees are........I,ve never used them so I wouldn't mind knowing......even if its only to gain some knowledge of the difference in auction fees charged by different auction houses...I thought that this forum was here to assist fellow collectors despite personal budgets? Crying or Very sad
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Upcoming Sporting Auctions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: