Football Programmes Centre

Should forum be for collectors only ?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Should forum be for collectors only ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wullie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:38 pm 
Post subject: Should forum be for collectors only ?

Yet another non collector has come on to the forum and has been abusive when simple questions are been asked. I would personally like to see the forum restricted to collectors only.
I know others will disagree , mainly in the hope that someone who's relative has died and left a rare collection can be snapped up for peanuts.
But all these people are after is a valuation , they have no intention of selling to forum members.
I know people will say you can always ignore a post, but as with the last person, you just want to make sure they are not con men. When they prove they are not then they start the abuse . Unwarranted .
martino

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:20 pm 
Post subject: Re: Should forum be for collectors only ?

Wullie wrote:
Yet another non collector has come on to the forum and has been abusive when simple questions are been asked. I would personally like to see the forum restricted to collectors only.
I know others will disagree , mainly in the hope that someone who's relative has died and left a rare collection can be snapped up for peanuts.
But all these people are after is a valuation , they have no intention of selling to forum members.
I know people will say you can always ignore a post, but as with the last person, you just want to make sure they are not con men. When they prove they are not then they start the abuse . Unwarranted .

No. Collectors need ........................................ sellers.
Posh1959

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:22 pm 
Post subject:

I disagree, but i do not hope to pick anything up for peanuts, will pay a fair price for anything of quality i need.
Wullie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:37 pm 
Post subject:

Posh1959 wrote:

I disagree, but i do not hope to pick anything up for peanuts, will pay a fair price for anything of quality i need.

The whole point is how many people has actually bought programmes from non collectors on here ? They just seem to be fishing for information and then move on. I certainly experienced this situation with a bloke who contacted me with a Sunderland programme. And I did offer a price what I knew was fair. Of course he pulled out of the deal. I saw the same programme some months after and it didn't sell at all.
The thing people do when they find something they think is valuable. Is , 1 Google. 2 Check eBay and then 3 Forums . Ask yourself if you found something worth a fortune would you sell it to some guy on a forum ????
Of course not. Auctions or eBay is where it goes.
chelseachris

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:44 pm 
Post subject:

I'm with you on this one Wullie, some people use this site like ebay.
Wullie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:48 pm 
Post subject:

I may stand corrected. But the only sale ever made on the forum with a non collector ( granddad passed away blah blah blah ) was the guy who ran off with all that money.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:51 pm 
Post subject: Re: Should forum be for collectors only ?

Wullie wrote:

To be fair Wullie, you were not exactly welcoming yourself, you're part of the problem.

I suggested the laying down of some basic rules for new members, maybe this should be considered so when a newbie comes on here looking to sell or whatever, they are politely pointed in the direction of these guidelines.

It makes for a more welcoming forum. At the moment, it's a long way from that.
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:00 pm 
Post subject:

Well, I'll bog off then..........

PS: I used to be a collector, long before FPC was invented!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Wullie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:02 pm 
Post subject:

Yes I am rude sometimes, I apologise but when people make valid points such as myself and Bazza about the authenticity of potential sellers then that should be respected
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:07 pm 
Post subject:

Wullie wrote:
Yes I am rude sometimes, I apologise but when people make valid points such as myself and Bazza about the authenticity of potential sellers then that should be respected

However in this instance you/we were wrong.

Let's put our heads together and come up with suggestions as to some newbie guidelines.
Wullie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:20 pm 
Post subject:

One idea would be to highlight the advantages of selling to a fellow member rather than going the auction route. As said , most potential sellers have no intention of selling on a forum because they think it's always worth more and people are not being honest with valuations ( take a valuation and add £100 +) We can point out the advantage of instant payment, no fees , going to a good home etc. Maybe even offer a fee free offers list for members ???? And of course all the security details to stop all these silly arguments.
It's really all about people at the moment fishing for valuation. It's pisses some of us off. And others are desperate to get a bargain so side with the seller.
blackburncollector

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:28 pm 
Post subject:

for a hobby that (in my opinion) seems to suffering a decrease in the numbers of people taking up or collecting, or indeed losing collectors I don't agree with this view point.

Yes I understand that people have been conned out of money however to restrict the forum to 'collectors only' isn't the answer and wouldn't reflect well on the online community or admin of the site.

A simple set of rules for newbies could be included in the welcome email that new members receive and pinned to the top of each sub section relating to the selling of programmes.

Judge Wink
PompeyPhil

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:39 pm 
Post subject:

I agree with your last post Wullie .....I joined the forum in a last ditch attempt to obtain several programmes from Pompey's Championship years (1948/49-49/50) that have alluded me for years. I had hoped that my listed "wants" might end up with someone (whether a dealer or collector) offering said programme(s) at a price they were comfortable with (whether inflated or not!).....unfortunately this hasn't happened, although I have obtained some more recent items via fellow collectors very kindly responding to requests. I still struggle to this very day to get any idea about what Pompey's away and several home programmes from the Championship years are actually worth (i.e. purchase price!).

I think highlighting the advantages of selling to a fellow member (collector) rather than auction should be encouraged....dealers with "auction or offers lists" experience should also pitch in and you never know they may end up with more money in their pockets!!! Everyone's happy...... Laughing
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: