Football Programmes Centre

Sing when you're winning, you only sing when you're winning
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Sing when you're winning, you only sing when you're winning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eck

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:53 pm 
Post subject: Sing when you're winning, you only sing when you're winning

Do you ever feel like chucking collecting when your club are shit?
A lot of collectors follow clubs that have always been shit, are there any other reasons that make you feel like giving up collecting? I have never felt that way yet but i'm aware that there will come a time when my enthusiasm won't be as strong as it is now..
SJF73

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:57 pm 
Post subject:

I stopped going to games for two and a half years between 15 - 17 and didn't collect a thing then went to a game again and bought the programme and have not looked back. If you do lose enthusiasm you may find that when you get it back it is much stronger.
cheers
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:06 pm 
Post subject:

Never felt like giving up altogether, although with collecting from an early age, there have obviously been times when the collection has been put on hold for one reason or another.

The enthusiasm has always been there if not the money.

I think the only time when the enthusiasm waned a little was when I went months without adding anything.

The fact that my team are currently struggling a little has no affect on my enthusiasm for adding to the collection.
Eck

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:38 pm 
Post subject:

I collected for a short time in the 70's, I started again when Rangers were in a worse state than they have ever been, although the fact that I started again at that time is coincidental. I am selling a lot of doubles at the moment which is interfering slightly with my enjoyment of collecting. I haven't quite mastered the art of doing both. My collection is my pride and joy but I enjoy other clubs collections, Rangers (gers & Sarge), Dundee United (Arab), Celtic, Manchester United (Leslie), Cardiff City (Matt Blue), Pompey (pompey pete), Clydebank (Bankies boy), St Mirren (Derek Drennan) Derby County (Derby) are all collections I have access to.

Last edited by Eck on Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:45 pm 
Post subject:

When Derby went down to the third division in 1984, it actually had the opposite effect on me, Eck, in that I found myself actually heading down to games at Bury, Halifax, Lincoln etc.

What stopped me - as a "long distance fan" - collecting, in the late 90s/early 00s - was a combination of the club leaving my beloved Baseball Ground and then filling the team up with a load of on-loan rubbish. I barely recognised the club any longer.

Always knew I'd return to the fold, so to speak, one day but it took joining RamsTrust at the time we were taken over by that awful trio to really get me going again.

Now it's like I've never been away.

As a result, I'm still missing quite a lot of progs from the 97-02 era but, as everyone on here rightly points out, issues from then are worth flumpence so I'll pick them up as and when. No hurry.
Sir Moses Hill

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:07 am 
Post subject: Re: Sing when you're winning, you only sing when you're winn

Eck wrote:
Do you ever feel like chucking collecting when your club are shit?
A lot of collectors follow clubs that have always been shit, are there any other reasons that make you feel like giving up collecting? I have never felt that way yet but i'm aware that there will come a time when my enthusiasm won't be as strong as it is now..

I can understand this. Part of the attraction of the hobby for me is to create a library of documentation on the institution that is Glentoran F.C.. When the team and club remind me that we aren't, in fact, the greatest sporting and cultural institution on earth, which goes against everything within me but happens rather frequently these days, my enthusiasm wains considerably. I normally pull out the wallet and push through it, however.
Eck

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:33 am 
Post subject: Re: Sing when you're winning, you only sing when you're winn

Sir Moses Hill wrote:

I can understand this. Part of the attraction of the hobby for me is to create a library of documentation on the institution that is Glentoran F.C.. When the team and club remind me that we aren't, in fact, the greatest sporting and cultural institution on earth, which goes against everything within me but happens rather frequently these days, my enthusiasm wains considerably. I normally pull out the wallet and push through it, however.
Thumbs Up

Of course this makes sense when your collection is of the club you support, it will usually follow that if your enthusiasm for your club suffers then your enthusiasm for collecting their memorabilia will also suffer.
pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:18 am 
Post subject:

With the crap I have had to put up with for so many years now I am surprised that I haven't given up football all together. Strange thing is I am enjoying my collecting more than ever this season. Lots of clubs we haven't played before so, of course that means new programmes to find. It's been great so far.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:58 am 
Post subject:

Sometimes I think it is better to separate the following of your club through thick and thin, buying a season ticket, travelling away etc, from the collecting of your club's programmes.

If I didn't now would probably be the time to get rid of the lot. Laughing
Eck

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:36 am 
Post subject:

bisphamseasider wrote:
Sometimes I think it is better to separate the following of your club through thick and thin, buying a season ticket, travelling away etc, from the collecting of your club's programmes.

If I didn't now would probably be the time to get rid of the lot. Laughing

Absolutely, if I don't let the mess at Rangers now affect my collecting,then i've pretty much cracked it.
Bankie boy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:11 pm 
Post subject:

Eck wrote:
I collected for a short time in the 70's, I started again when Rangers were in a worse state than they have ever been, although the fact that I started again at that time is coincidental. I am selling a lot of doubles at the moment which is interfering slightly with my enjoyment of collecting. I haven't quite mastered the art of doing both. My collection is my pride and joy but I enjoy other clubs collections, Rangers (gers & Sarge), Dundee United (Arab), Celtic, Manchester United (Leslie), Cardiff City (Matt Blue), Pompey (pompey pete), Clydebank (Bankies boy), St Mirren (Derek Drennan) Derby County (Derby) are all collections I have access to.

Keep your hands off my collection you No
Eck

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:55 pm 
Post subject:

Bankie boy wrote:
Eck wrote:

Keep your hands off my collection you No

Only looking. Wave
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:16 pm 
Post subject:

pastpirate wrote:
With the crap I have had to put up with for so many years now I am surprised that I haven't given up football all together. Strange thing is I am enjoying my collecting more than ever this season. Lots of clubs we haven't played before so, of course that means new programmes to find. It's been great so far.

In terms of collecting, I rather envy you (if that makes sense).

I remember how interesting it all got when we were down in the third division so I can empathise.
Ronsaunders

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:49 am 
Post subject:

For me there is very little connection between the performance of the team and my collecting.
What does occasionally make me question is the drudgery of modern issues which I feel compelled to buy as I am, by nature, a completer.
Bankie boy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:21 pm 
Post subject:

I would never stop collecting as its just something I do. The one big change for me though is that over the last two seasons I have become Clydebank's programme editor totally responsible for putting it together. After reading it about ten times over the week when I'm putting it together I now miss opening my programme on a Saturday to see what's in it. I just buy it take it home and store it away with the rest. In saying that I totally enjoy being responsible for producing it.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:24 pm 
Post subject:

The advantage of being mainly an International collector is that there are not too many year on year, and every away game throws up something different.

Performance doesn't come into it either, otherwise nobody would collect Scotland programmes Laughing

My Hearts collection has been mostly wound down to certain areas that also only sees a few additions per year.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Your Football Programme Collection All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: