Football Programmes Centre

Programme shop - reopens!!!
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Programme shop - reopens!!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
surfinjim

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:01 pm 
Post subject: Programme shop - reopens!!!

Any visitors to Hillsborough may remember a little programme shop on Leppings Lane, near the away end.

It was run by a guy called Mick Brodie.

It's been shut for a couple of seasons but is now opening again under new management.

Its open at present on matchdays/nights and also on Friday afternoons.

The guy running the shop is called Richard, his number 0797 1552458.

He is hoping to eventually open up 40 hours per week.

At present most of the stock is Wednesday based, but he is stocking other teams as well.

He also has tickets, badges, match worn shirts and other general memorabilia.

Jim Thumbs Up

PS He isn't a relation by the way!

Bolder, Blackhall, Williamson, Smith, Pickering, Hornsby, King, Johnson, McCulloch, Mellor, Curran.

Scorers; Mellor, King, Curran, Smith (pen)

GODS EVERY ONE OF THEM!
Molineux Phil

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:10 pm 
Post subject: Anything goes Chit Chat.

Thats great news Surf,there was a couple once late 60s to mid 70s on Goodison Rd (Everton),just loved calling in them shops on match days,do realy hope it takes off.
ForestMick

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:54 pm 
Post subject:

I don't know what everyone else thinks, but I think it would be a really good idea if everybody posted details of all the programme shops in their area, and if their club has one. This would be really useful for people travelling to away games in that area.
pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:24 pm 
Post subject:

ForestMick wrote:
I don't know what everyone else thinks, but I think it would be a really good idea if everybody posted details of all the programme shops in their area, and if their club has one. This would be really useful for people travelling to away games in that area.

Good idea Mick.

Bristol Rovers have one. Just to the left of the home end turnstiles. It is open from around 12.30 till kick off on a Saturday game. and also after the game. If you are going to be there earlier pm me. I am usualy around from 11.30 and could meet you there if you need to drop in early. I am in the pub but it's only 5 mins from the ground. Evening matches it opens as soon as the guy gets there from work. And both of us are there afterwards for a while as well.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
ForestMick

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:54 pm 
Post subject:

There isn't a programme shop at either Forest or Count, but they both sell back issues in the club shop (County's are reduced, but Forest's aren't).
The only programme shop in existence in Nottingham that I know of now, is just out of the train station, turn right, walk past the old bank (think its a gas showroom), and its about two doors down. There's a big sign outside about Lambretta spares, and there's a 'Programme World' sign over the door. It doesn't seem to have regular opening hours (seems to be shut more and more during the day), and during Forest home games, you'll find the owner (looks like a 70's scouser Scouse ) down the side of the Trent, with a little stall. If you are coming over, let me know, and I'll get his number, and I can ask him to bring anything specific you're looking for. Not cheap, but not the most expensive I've ever seen either

There's also a collector (not dealer) called Pete Thorpe, who has a stall on matchdays, down the side of the Trent, but nearer to the Southbank Bar. Nice bloke, and doesn't charge as much as the scouse lookalike.

There's also an old bloke who stands in the fire escape doorway of the Southbank Bar, with a couple of wooden boards, selling older Forest stuff. He isn't cheap, but I guess you could haggle?

Just past Ladbrookes, round the corner, there's a newsdagents that sells loads of Forest Programmes. However, I think his prices are ridicululous, and would only buy from him if you are desperate.

Carl may be able to correct me, but they are the only ones I know of in Nottingham.
foxes1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:59 pm 
Post subject: Programme Shop

Leicester City Supporters Club have a programme shop open at the Walkers Stadium on match days only and it usually closes about 1/2 hr before kick-off. Most of its stock is Leicester related but they do stock a few progs of other clubs.
andyfromboston

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:07 pm 
Post subject:

The newsagents on Bridgford Rd opposite Trent Bridge Cricket Ground used to be excellent until Mr West sold up to some tacky memorabilia merchant. I went in before the England game there last week and laughed at the prices for the crap on offer.

Don't forget King John Dee's shop on Dunstable High St, John is there most days but you are advised to ring if you are making a journey of any distance. King John can be contacted on 07719 401622, the shop is at 38 High St North, Dunstable, LU6 1LA.
ForestMick

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:09 pm 
Post subject:

Yeah you're right Andy, but even better was the cricket book shop about two doors down. they used to have rows and rows of programmes on a couple of big tables, and more stashed underneath, and they started at 25p each! I've had some great bargains from there, so I was devastated to find out that place shut down. I was even more gutted to find out that they had sold off all the programmes as a job lot for next to nothing!!
Molineux Phil

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:05 pm 
Post subject: Programme shop re-opens.

Dont know of a Programme shop in Wolverhampton,but there is a guy with a stall near the subway Wanderer pub on match days, keeps a very good stock NOT cheap at all though .Tryed to haggle with him over a couple of Wolves away friendlies a couple of years ago was asking far to much IMHO for them dissmissed my offer out of hand ,but i obtained both later of Ebay and in mint con for next to nothing and sure he still has them two on offer on his stall,so dont be presured in to makeing a purchase does pay to shop around.
Wulfrunian

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:40 pm 
Post subject:

There is a programme shop in Wolverhampton, not particularly near the ground though.
Its in the row of shops under the indoor market, opposite the New Inns Pub.
The bloke who runs it also has the dolls house shop a couple of doors down, you sometimes have to ask there to get in.
The owner doesnt really look after his stuff too well though, its just in plastic crates piled up, no order or rhyme or reason to the order so you have to search through to find anything. Some of it gets into a poor condition because of this too.
Obviously its mainly Wolves stuff, but has other stuff too
Theres also a stall inside the market, but im not sure where he is and have heard he is a bit pricey.
The guy with stall at the ground is expensive for some stuff, but when i have had stuff off him either there or at the Wolves programme fairs he has always done me good deals. Having said that I do spend a fair bit of cash then.

"You only have one life, I gave mine to the Wolves" - Stan Cullis 1916 - 2001
craig
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:56 pm 
Post subject:

Wish there was this much choice in Cardiff. The supporters club are the only ones who do anything but im unsure if its opened up at the ground yet after our recent move.

Im off to watch up at Aston Villa tomorrow - Anyone know if there is anything up there?
footysale

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:20 pm 
Post subject:

The Back Page at newcastle one of the best shops ive been in. there was one i went to in the city of manchester when i went to see man city play can't remember what its called though had all sorts of collectable stuff.

Craig the only place at villa park is the holte end programme shop in the home end. They used to have a programme stall in the away end but since the away end has moved not sure if they still do it. I will also be at the game tommorrow.
craig
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:30 pm 
Post subject:

Ill have to see if i can wander around to Holte End then as ive checked their site and theres a programme or two i wouldnt mind from there Smile

Who is your team then footysale?
footysale

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:57 pm 
Post subject:

Newcastle but live miles away so watch loads of games around the midlands and thats how i got in to collecting going in the holte end seeing the shop. Yep there site is very good top items on there. I used to know some other guy at the villa he was a diamond get me any programme i want or bits and he charged superb prices i stopped collecting in the days when i was 18 though so lost his details hoping to get his number of someone tommorrow so will let you know if i do. Outside the trinity end they used to have a yellow box which had a guy selling the match day programme plus other bits he would change for each away team coming but now its just match day programmes in the yellow box which is a shame on away fans.
andyfromboston

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:07 am 
Post subject:

ForestMick wrote:
Yeah you're right Andy, but even better was the cricket book shop about two doors down. they used to have rows and rows of programmes on a couple of big tables, and more stashed underneath, and they started at 25p each! I've had some great bargains from there, so I was devastated to find out that place shut down. I was even more gutted to find out that they had sold off all the programmes as a job lot for next to nothing!!

I'd forgotten about that place, I went in about 3 years ago during a rain break in the cricket and came out with a bag full of programmes for a tenner, all late 60's for 25p each.....
foxes1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:21 am 
Post subject:

There is one in Kilmarnock called D&D Programmes situated in the city centre, which I remember from going in there a couple of years ago when I followed Leicester on there pre-season tour of Scotland. As quite a good selection.
Sainthomer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:38 am 
Post subject:

Southampton has a shop in the Chapel stand of the ground. It is run by Andrew Murray and his wife Anna. Opens on matchdays at 1.30 and again for a short time after the game. Stocks mostly Saints progs and other bits. Does have a selection of big match and premier league games on offer too.

Attends some of the fairs in the south and runs the Southampton one on cup final day. Always helpful in obtaining and knowledge on progs existing. Well worth a look. Might need a steward to let you in though if an away fan!!!!!
ForestMick

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:24 pm 
Post subject:

I know there's one at Torquay, went in after our pre - season game there a few years ago. Don't know if its still there now, but the guy was sound, and came away with a few Forest for a decent price. He had a varied selection, wasn't dominated by Torquay either.
oldbolt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:07 pm 
Post subject:

footysale wrote:
The Back Page at newcastle one of the best shops ive been in. there was one i went to in the city of manchester when i went to see man city play can't remember what its called though had all sorts of collectable stuff.

Craig the only place at villa park is the holte end programme shop in the home end. They used to have a programme stall in the away end but since the away end has moved not sure if they still do it. I will also be at the game tommorrow.

The one in Manchester is called Empire Exchange off one of the roads opposite Piccadilly Gardens.I had a look in today.Apart from the boxes of overpriced modern issues there was a box of 1950s/60 stuff on the counter including quite a few 57/58 Man CIty homes at £5.50 and some interesting Man City away friendlies.
The only 50s Bolton prog was a 55/56 home v Wolves for a fiver which isn't a bad price.I would have bought if i didn't already have one.
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:05 pm 
Post subject:

oldbolt wrote:
footysale wrote:

The one in Manchester is called Empire Exchange off one of the roads opposite Piccadilly Gardens.I had a look in today.Apart from the boxes of overpriced modern issues there was a box of 1950s/60 stuff on the counter including quite a few 57/58 Man CIty homes at £5.50 and some interesting Man City away friendli
The only 50s Bolton prog was a 55/56 home v Wolves for a fiver which isn't a bad price.I would have bought if i didn't already have one.

Some people will think that £5 for a 55-6 Bolton home is expensive, because they sometimes see such items sell on ebay for maybe a couple of pounds or so. They then think that £2 is the going rate for the programme.
What they don't appreciate is that anybody with a shop has community charge, business rates, heat and lighting, probably water rates as well. Shops are always more likely to have the more uncommon items for sale than ebay as they will pick up collections from time to time. They should also have a level of expertise to assist collectors young and old with their collecting habits.
When I first started the programme shop at Blundell Park, Grimsby - later RJS Programmes - used to always ensure that we looked after regular's "want's lists" Always used to have the rare programmes on straight sale rather than offers for at least a month so that fans could have at least two matches to find that elusive programme. In 1989 we sold both Grimsby's pre war FA Cup semi finals in the shop rather than put them on offer on the basis that long term gain always outweights any short term financial gain as the fans stayed loyal to the shop. We also sold over 30 pre war Grimsby aways in that short, halcyon spell, and well over two dozen Grimsby homes from the 40's first division days.
First game after Xmas or New Year, which ever game we had at home, there was a couple of bottles of scotch, and a case of Guinness to share with our regulars - which obviously wouldn't be allowed today.
Great days indeed, and hope maybe one day when I retire (4 years, 6 months, 5 days) to have something similar.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: