Football Programmes Centre

chelsea9ct gold medal
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
chelsea9ct gold medal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Get a valuation here
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chelseamanpeter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:15 am 
Post subject: chelsea9ct gold medal

Have a 1905 chelsea medal,9ct gold.size of 10 pence.front chelsea coat of arms red and blue enamel.incibed 1905. Back laurel leaves lncibed jt robertson.any information on medal and valueation.
mark01

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:03 pm 
Post subject:

Chelsea were formed in 1905 and came straight into the football league in 1905/06 season and came third behind Man Utd and the mighty Bristol City.

John Tait Robertson was player manager of the side and made 33 league appearances and scored 6 goals.

Robertson was born in Dumbarton in 1877 (died 1935) and he played for Morton, Everton, Southampton and Rangers before joining Chelsea. In 1906/07 joined Glossop as player/manager and later left to coach overseas.

With Rangers won Scottish league 1899, 1901, 1902 and Scottish cup 1903.
Won Southern league with Southampton 1899.

Won 16 caps for Scotland.

I would imagine that the medal relates to the foundation of Chelsea FC in their first full season, probably issued by the club.

A lovely item to have at the begining of the birth of the club.

Are there any other inscriptions on the medal and does it come with the original case.

regards, Mark
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:46 pm 
Post subject:

Not sure how this topic has split into 2 different threads but anything about players from this era is fascinating stuff and prompts further research.

This led me to finding out that Robertson scored in both games against Blackpool in 1905/6 season, the only goal in a 1-0 win at Bloomfield Road and a goal in a 6-0 thrashing at Stamford Bridge.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Get a valuation here All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: