Football Programmes Centre

Sporting Memorys - 13 August 2014
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Sporting Memorys - 13 August 2014
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Upcoming Sporting Auctions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
treble99

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:23 am 
Post subject:

holidays go but you can admire a programme forever
martino

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:40 am 
Post subject:

treble99 wrote:

You can only bid up to the limit of what you have available.

I am sure most of us would like to bid for the rare programmes but only a few are fortunate in having deep wallets.
BAZZABAGGIES

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:07 am 
Post subject:

Dont you mean most have short arms and long pockets and would rather buy a few pints than an investment. Shocked

My mrs purchased a £300 jacket last week as soon as she paid for it the jacket became worthless.
Where as if you buy some programmes you are investing for the future and with a bit of outlay you will get a better investment than the poxy banks and building society's.
goonerboy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:35 am 
Post subject:

treble99 wrote:

no programme will give me more joy than the the 10 days in barbados with my kids
BAZZABAGGIES

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:12 am 
Post subject:

Whats wrong with having both if you can afford it.

Some punters put 50p on a horse some put £50,000
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:36 am 
Post subject:

treble99 wrote:

Probably why most collectors have to balance financial reality so they can enjoy both.
Wullie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:29 pm 
Post subject:

Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:
derby1884 wrote:
There's an awful lot of top-quality items appearing on auctions just now.

Are collectors selling up while the going is (relatively) good?

I don't mind admitting ignorance when it comes to this - enlighten me?

I'm 58 and have no idea when I'll sell my collection, if I ever do. But one day I surely must or it''ll be burned. At the moment though, it's safe with me here.

So collections going under the hammer today could be belonging to people a bit older, or unluckier, than me. There's a recession going on (unless you went to Eton) and what's the point in sitting on an old pile of paper when you need to pay a gas bill?

What are you on Peter ? A bloody gas bill. It's been so mild I think my gas bill was £3.80 for the whole year. More like £1,000 for the season ticket. And no doubt a studio broom cupboard n the Palace area is going for £1,000,000,000 plus nowadays.... Save us the sob stories Crying or Very sad
Crying or Very sad Laughing Laughing
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:19 pm 
Post subject:

Wullie wrote:
Pete’s Picture Palace wrote:
derby1884 wrote:
There's an awful lot of top-quality items appearing on auctions just now.

Are collectors selling up while the going is (relatively) good?

I don't mind admitting ignorance when it comes to this - enlighten me?

I'm 58 and have no idea when I'll sell my collection, if I ever do. But one day I surely must or it''ll be burned. At the moment though, it's safe with me here.

So collections going under the hammer today could be belonging to people a bit older, or unluckier, than me. There's a recession going on (unless you went to Eton) and what's the point in sitting on an old pile of paper when you need to pay a gas bill?

What are you on Peter ? A bloody gas bill. It's been so mild I think my gas bill was £3.80 for the whole year. More like £1,000 for the season ticket. And no doubt a studio broom cupboard n the Palace area is going for £1,000,000,000 plus nowadays.... Save us the sob stories Crying or Very sad
Crying or Very sad Laughing Laughing

Sorry Wullie but i think Pete was being metaphorical and in general and as he says for some others who may not be as fortunate as he is may have to sell to pay some bills, Pete could say "what r u on! for not seeing what he was saying" Laughing am sure you will take it in the spirit it was intended, Pete is one of the good guys on here for sure as we all know. Must dash as i am breaking up some old chairs to sling on 't fire-it's grim up North! Wave picture below of my broom cupboard
https://flic.kr/p/a6BJfW
https://flic.kr/p/65DSvK
https://flic.kr/p/65DSvD
https://flic.kr/p/5H1d61
https://flic.kr/p/4gcBRo
https://flic.kr/p/a6Bwpy
https://flic.kr/p/a6yfG6
https://flic.kr/p/a6ByDb
good job we aint got a cat to swing Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Wullie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:32 am 
Post subject:

I'm not sure we live in desperate times, the papers like to portray.
It's interesting when amazing collections do turn up. As others have said, probably unknown collectors who have sadly passed away. I'm guessing people who built up collections many moons ago when ancient programmes could be bought for pennies from early dealers lists, long before the internet was ever thought of.
To obtain such a collection over a reasonable short time today would cost £1000s and would realistically be only available to the rich.
I'm also guessing, in todays environment where credit is easily obtainable ( PayPal can be paid with a credit card ) , many valuable items are bought on a whim , only to be resold months after when the bank account is empty and bills must be paid. That's not to say people are in desperate poverty , but only they haven't budgeted properly.
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:05 pm 
Post subject:

Re do we live in desperate times?

I'm lucky, I was able to retire on the back of two final salary pensions, and my wife did similar - both on the back of mainly a lifetime each in the public sector. I count my blessings, but don't forget others who are not in my position. I currently work on a voluntary basis for a charity in Dumfries, called First Base, who are providing upwards of 450 food parcels each month, and I deliver some of these in the north of the county at the start of each week. Some of the parcels are actually made up of foodstuffs that require no cooking as the clients can't afford the electricity to actually cook them with. That's desperate times, it's replicated nationwide, and it's all thanks to spineless politicans who would rather see folk grovel and suffer than have the ability to have a modicum of self respect, and also be able to feed themselves without recourse to charity.

Last edited by Auchinleckian on Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:25 pm 
Post subject:

Auchinleckian wrote:
Re do we live in desperate times?

I'm lucky, I was able to retire on the back of two final salary pensions, and my wife did similar - both on the back of mainly a lifetime each in the public sector. I count my blessings, but don't forget others who are not in my position. I currently work on a voluntary basis for a charity in Dumfries, called First Base, who are providing upwards of 4500 food parcels each month, and I deliver some of these in the north of the county at the start of each week. Some of the parcels are actually made up of foodstuffs that require no cooking as the clients can't afford the electricity to actually cook them with. That's desperate times, it's replicated nationwide, and it's all thanks to spineless politicans who would rather see folk grovel and suffer than have the ability to have a modicum of self respect, and also be able to feed themselves without recourse to charity.

Well done John, you are a luckier one but you do a great job up there.

The wonderful Ian Duncan-Smith said a couple of years back that he could live on £5 a week. Or maybe it was he could make £5 last a week. Something like that. Of course if you're out of work, you get about £71 a week which is "luxury". If you have to visit the Job Centre and it's too far to walk, you either have to catch a bus or run a car, or a bike I suppose. A bus would cost me £1.45 each way. That's more than half the fiver, and IDS of course was ignoring council tax, gas, electric, water, telephone, and clothing and feeding yourself as those bills may not arrive in the given week he's dreaming about.

That man is a total plum and all the while spineless people like him are in charge, (which they are permanently no matter who's voted in - and it's the same in London now as in the People's Republic of Caledonia) - we are stuck with it. It's time to emigrate but as most of the World is worse off, where should we go? Scotland?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Wullie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:44 pm 
Post subject:

Personally I never relied on benefits as I have always got off my backside and worked. Sadly , people seem to knock this as and have a dig because I deliver mail. I suppose this is beneath them. They see us as lazy and work shy even when we work 12 hour shifts six days a week. The nasty remarks you get on here sometimes make you wonder if I'd be better off sitting at home all day watching Jeremy Kyle. Thankfully that's never been my style. I prefer to be busy rather than sit and moan about my lot....
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:52 pm 
Post subject:

Wullie, nobody's calling into doubt folk who work hard for a living, but for the capitalist society we live in nowadays it pays to have an army of folk who aren't in work, or can't work. It depresses wages and it makes it a charter for bosses to exploit workers, it's nothing at all about getting off our collective arses. As I mentioned, it's not just folks on benefits who use our service, it's people who may have a low wage and haven't had a wage rise for years (because they're not unionised) whilst inflation rises regardless.

You're in an industry that is likely to face ever more swingeing cuts in years to come Wullie. I hope you and your fellow workers never have to endure the indignity of having to go to a charity to be able to feed yourself and your family.
BAZZABAGGIES

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:57 pm 
Post subject:

Food Parcels are okay for the minority. But the majority have them so they can spend more money on drugs fags and booze.
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:35 am 
Post subject:

Bazza...the Mother Theresa of West Bromwich.

Your insinuation is way off the mark, albeit drug users are catered for by the charity, and why shouldn't they be? What we do though is to cater for their needs, not their desires, so we make the food parcel hard to sell for less than the price of whatever it is they're addicted to, so they might as well eat the contents. Pretty brutal, but that's 21st century Britain for you.

We could defeat the drugs issue purely by legalising them like alcohol and tobacco. Decriminalise them and you immediately make them less appealing for folk to try in the first instance. That's a debate for another day though......
treble99

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:36 am 
Post subject:

i thought that programme collecting was like a drug habit
pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:55 pm 
Post subject:

All. I have deleted the last few posts on this thread.
I make no comment on whether or not some of the remarks were racist but!
Other forums I have been a member of have been threatened with legal action due to similar remarks and ended up being closed down to prevent possible problems for the admins.
I have asked before, please refrain from any remarks that could be construed as racist.
Plus I am sure possible new members are put of joining when they read some of the stuff written on here.

If it carries on then the only other option is to ban people.
I really hope it won't come to that.

Cheers, Jamie.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
Eck

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:27 pm 
Post subject:

Wullie wrote:

I heard you tried to end it all by jumping off your wallet.
Wullie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:41 pm 
Post subject:

Eck wrote:
Wullie wrote:

I heard you tried to end it all by jumping off your wallet.

Not sure about food parcels, but your dog looks well feed Eck Laughing
Eck

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:20 pm 
Post subject:

He certainly was well fed Wullie but he weighed in at 2 stone when he was 12 weeks old, he died 10 days ago, 14 is a great age though for a big beast like him.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Upcoming Sporting Auctions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: