Football Programmes Centre

Pre-War Programmes
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Pre-War Programmes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Geddon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:03 pm 
Post subject: Pre-War Programmes

I was talking to another Swans collector the other day about pre-war programmes, and how rare/common they are for different clubs. This guy has every Swans programme from 1945-46 season onwards, but he only has one home pre-war programme, and around 25 aways, mostly for matches against the London clubs.

Likewise I've never even seen any of our pre-war programmes for sale, most of them appear to have been pulped to help the war effort, so it wouldn't surprise me if none now exist for some games.

So how rare are your clubs pre-war programmes? Do you have any? How much did they cost you?
badhand

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:26 pm 
Post subject:

Pre-war Bristol Rovers are uncommon rather than rare. I don't have any but I have seen a couple on dealers websites. Sporting Memorabilia had one with punch holes for about £200. I have an irrational aversion to punch holes so I gave it a miss. I will buy pre-war one day.
Wullie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:34 pm 
Post subject:

Well i always thought Sunderland home programmes were very rare but recently i seen a few listed in various auctions including one from 1905. Having said that they go for amazing prices. ( How lucky to be a Arsenal or a Chelsea fan , not only top football but easily obtainable pre-wars).
I have a few pre war gems from the early 30s but i really can't compete with other bidders when they do show up.
andyfromboston

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:55 pm 
Post subject:

Has the Sunderland v Boston FA Cup tie from about 1926 ever vome up to the best of your knowledge?

Its one I'd love to have but at the moment its a dream......
Wullie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:12 pm 
Post subject:

andyfromboston wrote:
Has the Sunderland v Boston FA Cup tie from about 1926 ever vome up to the best of your knowledge?

Its one I'd love to have but at the moment its a dream......

Bound to have been a programme , probably the normal 16 page issue. I saw one for sale recently 1914 V Chatham ( FA Cup) so you never know , just be prepared to re-mortage the house...
gurulion

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:29 pm 
Post subject:

Both Swansea and Bristol Rovers homes are pretty difficult pre-war to get, in my experience.

I have only one of each against Millwall: Swansea 1931/32 (a large format pink thing with little reading substance, though outwardly impressive and beautiful in its own way) and Bristol Rovers 1937/38, complete with pirate on the front.

Badhand: for the record, this one has a couple of punch holes...and I bought it from Sporting Mem....(seriously!!)
Geddon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:44 pm 
Post subject:

Where did you find the Swansea one Guru, like I said I've never even seen any?

Also did you see the Swans vs. Millwall 45/46 on ebay today, went for nearly £80 in the end, was it you?
gurulion

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:49 pm 
Post subject:

Answers:

i) Can't remember exactly. May have been Sports.

ii) Might have been.......!!!
pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:06 pm 
Post subject:

The only pre war I have are as follows.
13-1-1906 Sheff W v Rovers F A Cup 1
24-1-1920 Millwall v Rovers Southern league (copy)
8-1-1921 Spurs v Rovers F A 1 (copy)
2-10-1937 Rovers v QPR Div 3 South (copy)
23-3-1945 Rovers v Bristol Sh*t (copy)

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:37 pm 
Post subject: pre war

If you think English and Welsh pre war are hard to get, head north to Scotland. I've had my share of Scottish pre war since moving north, but all in the first five years, ie nothing since 1996.
One collection from a guy who worked the Council tips got me 4 Queen of the South programmes, including away at Celtic, 35-6, for £30 total. That was in 92, and I was gobsmacked later on to be offered 380 just for the Celtic one from a prominent Glasgow dealer at the time.
Six months later I picked up 62 pre war Queen of the South programmes, and paid a fiver each for them - still wasn't aware of the disparity between Scottish and English programmes at the time, until I did a fair at Edinburgh with them and everybody was around the stall likes pigs round shite. Sold them far too cheaply, but still made a hugely healthy profit.
The other pre war collection was a year or two later and involved QOTS again, including an away pre war at Aberdeen - very rare - and home Scottish Cup vs King's Park, Hearts vs Solway Star in the Scottish Cup 34-5 or 35-6, which had a picture cut out, but was probably one of the oldest Hearts vs non league in the Scottish Cup around. It went for £350 which was an amazing price at the time.
Have had a couple of pre war St. Bernards when a renowned Scottish collector purchased a large collection of them (from America I think) one of which was against Armadale, now a non league team, but then in the Scottish League.
There are rumours of two bound volumes of Nithsdale Wanderers programmes from the 1920's in Sanquhar, a village 12 miles north of me, where they played Scottish League football in the 20's and early 30's. Only a rumour though, but ye never ken...
badhand

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:48 pm 
Post subject:

gurulion wrote:

Badhand: for the record, this one has a couple of punch holes...and I bought it from Sporting Mem....(seriously!!)

Probably came from the same ring binder Smile
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: