Football Programmes Centre

1937 charity shield
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
1937 charity shield

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Rare Football Programmes and Prices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wullie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:23 pm 
Post subject: 1937 charity shield

This appeared briefly on eBay this morning. The seller only listed it as a Manchester City v Sunderland game. Someone made a quick offer and a killing. The seller is the guy who has sold many pre war sunderland recently. He obviously is not a collector. Worth keeping an eye in what else he has.
Posh1959

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:06 pm 
Post subject:

they are a pain in the arse people making an offer and ending the item early, very tempting for the seller as ebay/paypal fees take a big wack. Only on Saturday i received an offer on 3 programmes i was selling at £90 including post for the 3. I ignored the offer and the 3 fetched £150 plus, the guy who made the offer paid over £100 for 2 of them.
Wullie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:24 pm 
Post subject:

I'm surprised he closed the bidding . His lack of knowledge may have cost him dearly unless someone tipped him off. It may reappear with correct description
Driver8

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:51 pm 
Post subject:

Regarding people making offers for ebay listed programmes. When I realised that some Russian/Soviet club 'away' programmes in the European Cups could demand a premium I decided to sell some of mine. The number of messages I received practically begging and pleading with me to sell it to them immediately was amazing. I refused all and politely advised them to join in with the bidding. Needless to say the programmes sold for much more than I had been offered.
I don't blame anyone for trying this method as the vendor, as in this instance, may not be a programme seller/collector and know the programmes true value.
Wullie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:13 pm 
Post subject:

It's a tricky one. I have on occasion made offers for items I desperately wanted. I always offer a high price and never take the P . I'm certainly not looking to resell at a profit. As a seller, I would get annoyed at silly low ball bids. Some people will think it's immoral , but sadly if others are doing it then you could miss out.
I think this is the main difference. A collector wanting a item and offering a honest price, and some chancer after a cheap deal
Wullie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:18 pm 
Post subject:

I see eBay now charge a fee if you want to end the bidding .
tommy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:37 pm 
Post subject:

How much do they charge?
This may reduce this practice if fee is set high enough.

Wullie wrote ‘Some people will think it's immoral, but sadly if others are doing it then you could miss out.’
Yes I think it is immoral and Yes I did miss out, but never again (Lowest denominator etc).
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:02 pm 
Post subject:

tommy wrote:
How much do they charge?

If buyers have already placed bids, Ebay charge a final value fee (10%) based on the price it was at when the listing was ended
Wullie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:35 pm 
Post subject:

10% is not a lot if the bidding is low. Say you are top bidder at £5 and the seller pulls the plug to sell privately then 50p is not much of a deterrent . I think the penalty fee was brought in for large items , mainly car sales.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Rare Football Programmes and Prices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: