Football Programmes Centre

April
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
April
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:20 am 
Post subject:

85 years ago (1929) and a 2nd Division fixture between Millwall and Blackpool.

The programme is a large size 4 page issue printed on very flimsy paper. It includes tables, fixtures and plenty of notes.

Millwall won 2-1 with Browell scoring for the Seasiders.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:35 pm 
Post subject:

57 years ago and a 2-1 win at Oldham keeps the Rams two points clear of Accrington at the top of the 3rd Division (North) table with 6 games to play.

10,265 in attendance.

The programme is a large 8 page issue so none turn up these days without a horizontal fold in them. One of the division's better efforts, though, with an editorial, pen-pictures and a short history on the visiting team.

They obviously don't care for their beer in Oldham - not a single brewery advert contained within.

Linnet74

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:38 pm 
Post subject:

Back to 1953 and Lynn make another appearance in a Norfolk Senior Cup final. This is against Gorleston and played at Carrow Road. Lynn lost this match 3-0, but it is watched by 15723 supporters.

pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:07 pm 
Post subject:

Back to 1963 and a trip to the south coast for Rovers.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:32 pm 
Post subject:

62 years ago (1952) and a 1st Division fixture between Newcastle United and Blackpool.

The programme is a very informative 12 page issue which includes fixtures, tables and goal scorers for the Northern Alliance and Northern Combination.

Blackpool won 3-1 with Allan Brown scoring a hat-trick and Billy Foulkes replying for the Magpies.

Linnet74

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:31 pm 
Post subject:

Back to 1956 and Lynn travel to play Corby Town in a Midland League fixture. Lynn won this match 1-0.
The programme is an oversize programme, which seems quite common for Corby to produce.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:47 pm 
Post subject:

56 years ago and a Welsh League fixture between Aberystwyth Town and Treharris Athletic, both of whom were struggling to avoid relegation that season.

8 page programme on dark red paper hasn't much to read other than a few lines of club notes and a league table.

As is so often the case, the advertising is the attraction. Here, all three (!) of Aberystwyth's cinemas publicise their current attractions. The best of the three sees Alistair Sim in "Blue Murder At St.Trinian's" showing at the Pier.

There's also an ad for the Skinner's Arms....as a big fan of Steptoe & Son, I've always wondered whether there was a pub called that or whether the writers made it up!

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:20 am 
Post subject:

70 years ago (1944) and a Football League North 2nd Competition fixture between Bradford Park Avenue and Blackpool.

The fixture also counted as a War Cup 3rd Rd 2nd leg tie.

The programme is 4 pages with team line ups and notes.

Blackpool won 2-1 with goals from Finan and a Stephen own goal. Ainsley replied for Bradford.

The attendance was over 32,000.

pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:28 pm 
Post subject:

In 1981 Norwegian sidc FC Vard visited Rovers for a friendly game. Not our best season. The south stand burnt down in August 1980 forcing us to play 5 home games at Ashton Gate and we ended up bottom of Division 2.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
Linnet74

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:11 pm 
Post subject:

Back to 1966 and Lynn entertain Nuneaton Borough. This Southern League Premier Division fixture attracted a crowd of 1808, who watched Lynn win 6-2.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:14 pm 
Post subject:

To Felinfach and 4th plays 6th in the Cardiganshire Lge Div.2 this day in 1995.

The 4 page programme has league tables and a fixture list but omits the visiting team's lineup. Probably because no one from Llanybydder had phoned it through.

A few basic editorial notes and that's your lot. As it's free, though, can't complain.

I also have a programme from Y Felinfach FC - not sure if this is the same club or not. My command of the Welsh language is nonexistent.

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:41 am 
Post subject:

76 years ago (1938) and a 1st Division fixture between Liverpool and Blackpool.

The programme is a very good 20 page issue but with a misleading cover. This shows a forthcoming fixture which could cause confusion.

Liverpool won 4-2 with Blackpool’s goals coming from Finan and Buchan.

Linnet74

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:09 pm 
Post subject:

Back to 2011 and Lynn are away at Daventry United in the United Counties League. This was Lynns first year as a reformed club. Lynn won the match 5-0 in front of 110 supporters.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:20 pm 
Post subject:

87 years ago [1927] and an inter-league representative match between a Surrey Senior League XI and their equivalents from the Great Western Suburban League.

4 page programme issued on rather fragile paper has notes on the front, lineups in the centre and league tables on the reverse. Plus lots of evocative advertising.

Whist must have been a favourite pastime in Egham as there are two ads for upcoming whist drives as well as an ad from the Forester's Arms pub "available for whist drives".

No ads for beer, though. Temperance-observing card players. I wonder if the population of Egham are still thus?

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:10 pm 
Post subject:

77 years ago (1937) and a 2nd Division fixture between Blackpool and Plymouth Argyle.

Blackpool finished the season as runners up but could only manage a 1-1 in this fixture.

The programme is a very good 20 page issue but without any fixture details on the front.

There is plenty of content though including fixtures, tables and goal scorers for the Northern Mid Week League and West Lancashire League.

There are lots of adverts but I think these certainly add something to pre war programmes.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:34 pm 
Post subject:

bisphamseasider wrote:
77 years ago (1937) and a 2nd Division fixture between Blackpool and Plymouth Argyle.

Wonderful art deco-style cover!

Do you mind if i forward this photo on to a collector of such items over in the States?
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:18 pm 
Post subject:

derby1884 wrote:
bisphamseasider wrote:

Wonderful art deco-style cover!

Do you mind if i forward this photo on to a collector of such items over in the States?

That's one of my favourite Blackpool pre war covers derby and I have no objection to you sending it on. Thumbs Up
Linnet74

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:42 pm 
Post subject:

Back to 1939 and another appearance in a Norfolk Senior Cup final, this time the opposition is Fakenham Town. The venue was Carrow Road, wih 5591 in attendance to see Lynn win 4-1.

There is not a single ad in this 8 page programme. The content is bios on each team. The 'material' used is a very heave card as opposed to paper.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:07 pm 
Post subject:

This day in 1954 and to Wembley for an all-North East clash between Bishop Auckland and Crook Town in the Final of the FA Amateur Cup.

Game ended in a 2-2 draw in front of what seems to be virtually a capacity crowd.

Selection of items here - the official programme, match tickets for various parts of the ground (including a steward's ticket) and a couple of pirate issues on sale outside the stadium.

Linnet74

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:17 pm 
Post subject:

Back to 1959 and Lynn are hosting Exeter City Reserves in the Southern League Premier Division. Lynn win the match 2-0 before a crowd of 1926.

| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: