Football Programmes Centre

February
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
February
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Linnet74

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:46 pm 
Post subject:

Back to 1997 and Lynn make the long trek to Dorchester Town, in the Southern League - Premier Division. Lynn lost the match 0-3 in front of 638 fans.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:34 pm 
Post subject:

67 years ago and to Ewood Park for a First Division fixture between 18th placed Blackburn and 14th placed Derby.

Match ended in a 1-1 draw in front of a crowd of 31,509.

8 page programme issued. Club notes spread over pages 2 and 7, other than that, it's H/T scoreboard, lineups, fixture list and adverts.

The higher than usual attendance may have had something to do with the fact that Rovers' two new signings, Jackie Oakes and Frank McGorrichan, were making their debut for the club.

Linnet74

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:15 pm 
Post subject:

Back to 1965 and Lynn visit PLough Lane to play Wimbledon. This was a match in the Eastern Professional Floodlight League, which Lynn lost 0-3.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:07 am 
Post subject:

Big game at the Baseball Ground this day in 1957 as 3rd placed Derby, on 40 pts, take on league leaders Hartlepools, on 43 pts.

24,644 in attendance to see the Rams win 2-0 and climb to second place.

Standard issue of the day.

Sorry, Jeff Stelling....but your boys took a hammering. Apparently, it should have been 5 or 6 nil.

Linnet74

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:09 pm 
Post subject:

Back to 1962 and another long trek for Lynn who are away at Yeovil Town.
This is in the Southern League, Premier Division - a million miles from where Yeovil now ply their trade!

Lynn lost the match 1-2 in front of 2080 spectators.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:57 pm 
Post subject:

A trip to the seaside but 8th placed Blackpool beat 11th placed Derby by 3-1 in front of 21,002 spectators.

Hugh McLaren scored the Rams' goal.

Standard 8 page programme issued - as ever with Blackpool issues of the time, the cinema and theatrical notices make interesting reading.

pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:20 am 
Post subject:

1951 and Norwich City visited Eastville Stadium. Rovers were 2-1 up when the game was abandoned due to a water logged pitch.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:38 pm 
Post subject:

Blackpool have never normally issued anything for matches played at their Squires Gate training ground but this time last year they did.

The match was a Lancashire Senior Cup tie against Manchester City and an A4 team sheet was produced.

The sheet also had colour emblems which is something not even seen on team sheets produced for reserve and youth games at Bloomfield Road.

After spurning chance after chance Blackpool eventually lost in a penalty shoot out.

sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:20 pm 
Post subject:

75 years ago February 18th 1939

Millwall 4-0 Sheffield United

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Linnet74

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:12 pm 
Post subject:

Back to 1956 and Lynn are at home to Doncaster Rovers Reserves, in the Midland League. Lynn won this match 3-1, in front of a crowd of 2304.

Standard 8 page issue for the season, containing club notes, fixtures, league table and the obligitory adverts of the day.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:28 pm 
Post subject:

36 years ago and London Spartan League fixture between two of that season's strugglers.
Thames Polytechnic would eventually finish 12th and last in the table, Brent finishing 2 places above them.

4 page programme issued on salmon-pink paper. Lineups on pages 2+3, surrounded by adverts, and some very brief club notes on the reverse.

I do like the advert for the Dacre Arms in Lewisham....Muriel & Fred, the licensees, warn customers that their pub has "no striptease, no discotheque and no juke box. Just good beer"

Do pubs like that still exist these days? Most of them seem to want to double up as restaurants...

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:01 pm 
Post subject:

65 years ago (1949) and a 1st Division fixture between Liverpool and Blackpool.

The programme is 8 pages and dimension wise is smaller than most 1st Division programmes from that season except for the Preston and Everton ones.

It’s no surprise that the Liverpool and Everton programmes were printed by the same printer, which was W. Jones and Co. of Hunter Street.

The game ended 1-1 watched by over 52,000.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:43 pm 
Post subject:

25 years ago and a fixture from the Kings Lynn Sunday Premier Lge between Stonebridge and Royal Athletic played at the field opposite the White Horse pub in Gaywood, Norfolk.

The 4 page programme has lineups on the reverse and a whole load of club notes on the inside. And a little drawing of a tree. Which I thought was nice Smile

Stonebridge were due some luck having slipped to second bottom of the table, not having scored in their previous 4 matches.

Linnet74

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:18 pm 
Post subject:

Back 3 years to 2011 and Lynn are drawn at home to Irchester United in the League Cup, 2nd Round. Lynn won the match in front of 408 fans.

As the new owners wanted complete control of the club they produced their own programmes based on what they produced for their Speedway business. This programme therefore is A4 in size. Information was usually out of date, league and opposing team information didn't appear to be checked. Spelling was atrocious, and that included Lynn players names spelt incorrectly!!

Nice programme Derby. The Sunday League is still going strong, celebrating 50 years this year. The field mentioned is still used for football, it's my sons U15's 'home' pitch. It is now part of the larger Lynnsport multi sports complex.
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:29 pm 
Post subject:

I didn't realise they were called King's Lynn Town now.

When did the name change take place?

That means I need to add a copy to my collection!
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:46 pm 
Post subject:

82 years ago (1932) and a 1st Division fixture between Arsenal and Blackpool.

The programme is a very good 12 page issue full of reading and just a small advert for the Finsbury Park Empire.

Arsenal won 2-0 with goals from Jack and Parkin.

Linnet74

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:37 pm 
Post subject:

Back to 1983 and Lynn again on their travels, this time to Gateshead. This is in the Northern Premier League. Travelling was in vain as Lynn lose 0-3 in front of 538.

In answer to Derby, King's Lynn FC's last match was 24th November 2010 against Retford in the League Cup. They were wound up in the High Court the following day and officially ceased to exist on December 9th. This was midway through the Northern Premier League and Lynns results were expunged. Carl Heggs was the manager.
King's Lynn Town was the new club formed and started life in the 2010-11 season in the United Counties League, chairman is Keith Chapman, who also runs the Speedway in Lynn, manager is Gary Setchell.
If you require a programme drop me a pm and I am sure we can sort something out.
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:22 pm 
Post subject:

One of the most pleasing aspects of collecting non-keague programmes is that you never know what you're going to come across.......but more of that in a second.

This is from 1988 and a mid-table Sussex County Lge Div 3 fixture between Broadbridge Heath and Franklands Village.

Quite splendid 16 page programme issued for just 10p. Full of club news, stats, quizzes, match reports and liberally sprinkled with some really awful jokes.

The real bonus, though, is the inclusion of chapter ten of a long running saga entitled "The Lakers". Quite evidently a pastiche of The Archers, this particular chapter concerns itself with a) Trixie's attempts to reduce her drinking to 2 bottles of Bacardi a day b) Crystal agreeing to elope with Jock Butler as long as he leaves his kilt behind and c) the one-legged Professor Lampwick's attempts to become "the keeper of Johanson's serum"

All this whilst the mysterious Roger Fortnightly creeps around in the middle of the night cutting everyone's telephone lines....

If anyone has chapter 11 and can tell me what happens...please let me know!

sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:57 pm 
Post subject:

44 years ago and a Sheffield and Hallamshire Senior Cup Quarter Final between Dinnington and Wombwell.

Anyone who has ever visited Dinnington will know that the staple diet in the town is raw meat and as can be seen from the cover they have big balls. Razz

The player appears to have a loaf of bread tucked under his arm.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:01 pm 
Post subject:

44 years ago (1970) and a Division 2 fixture between Bolton Wanderers and Blackpool.

This was Blackpool’s promotion season back to the top flight, although before this game they were only sitting in 7th position but with games in hand.

Blackpool won 2-0 with goals from John Craven and Fred Pickering.

The programme is a 12 page issue with rather a lot of adverts but also with plenty of reading.

Coincidentally, in relation to my current research into A and B team fixtures, there are some details about the 69/70 games between the two sides.

| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: