Football Programmes Centre

February
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
February
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maidonian

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:27 pm 
Post subject: February

1966 and a 1st leg Mithras Cup tie away to St Albans City which the home side won 5-4. Foolscap size single sheet issued, printed on one side only.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:56 pm 
Post subject:

56 years ago. 3rd placed New Brighton host 6th placed Rossendale.

4 page issue, lineups and ads in the centre, club notes and league table on the reverse.

Linnet74

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:42 pm 
Post subject:

Back to 1967 and Lynn are at home to Barnet in the 4th Round of the Southern League Cup. Lynn lost the tie 0-2 in front of a crowd if 1879.

Maidonian

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:41 pm 
Post subject:

1935 and an Amateur Cup 2nd round tie at Enfield won 4-1 by the home side. Four page programme printed blue on white paper.

Further to the comment by bisphamseasider on the January thread, my year of posting in this thread will be up in three days time and having only one club's programmes to show will bow out then.
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:49 pm 
Post subject:

44 years ago and a floodlit friendly at Redheugh Park, Gateshead to raise funds for the home club.

The 6 page gatefold programme shows Gateshead 9 points adrift at the foot of the NPL table and the club notes leave the reader in no doubt about how desperate the club's current financial plight was, despite "severe cost-cutting measures" reducing the bank overdraft figure to under £2,000.

George Hardwick was now manager and had instigated various schemes to try and get more bodies through the turnstiles. Derby, here, had agreed to appear for free in an attempt to help.

All to no avail - the club weren't re-elected to the NPL at the season's end and, by 1973, had been liquidated.

Linnet74

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:33 pm 
Post subject:

Back to 1971 and Lynn are in action away at Cambridge City in the Eastern Professional Floodlight League. Lynn won this match 2-0.

The 4 page programme is slightly larger than the standard programme, full of information. Only one advert on back cover-for Greyhound Racing!

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:01 pm 
Post subject:

68 years ago (1946) and a Football League North fixture between Manchester United and Blackpool.

The programme is a single sheet and not in good condition as the top has been trimmed. I will get around to replacing it one day as the cost has come down considerably over the last couple of years.

United won 4-2 with Mortensen getting both Blackpool’s goals.

Maidonian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:17 am 
Post subject:

1962 and an Amateur Cup 2nd round tie away to Loughborough Colleges won 4-0 by the home side. One A4 sheet folded into a pocket sized programme. The Loughborough goalkeeper that day had quite an illustrious career...

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:38 pm 
Post subject:

44 years ago (1970) and a Lancashire Senior Cup 3rd Rd tie between Oldham Athletic and Blackpool.

The programme is a large single sheet, printed on one side only, and is a fairly scarce one to obtain.

The game ended 1-1 with Reg Blore scoring for Oldham and Ronnie Brown with a penalty for Blackpool.

Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:32 pm 
Post subject:

bisphamseasider wrote:
44 years ago (1970) and a Lancashire Senior Cup 3rd Rd tie between Oldham Athletic and Blackpool.

The programme is a large single sheet, printed on one side only, and is a fairly scarce one to obtain.

The game ended 1-1 with Reg Blore scoring for Oldham and Ronnie Brown with a penalty for Blackpool.

Here's a question, is it a programme, or just a team sheet? What factors would you use to decide?
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:12 pm 
Post subject:

A "winner takes all" group tie in the FRT 27 years ago at Prenton Park.
In the end, it was Wigan who progressed, coming out on top on the night 3-2.

4 page issue for 20p. Spotlight on the visiting team in the centre pages, lineups and an attempt to unravel the rather convoluted draw for the next round on the reverse.

Frank Worthington at centre-forward for Tranmere.

Linnet74

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:03 pm 
Post subject:

Back to 1951 and Lynn are hosting Great Yarmouth Town in the Norfolk Senior Cup 2nd Round. This match ended in a 2-2 draw in front of nearly 2500 spectators. The replay didn't provide a clear winner either and Lynn eventually won the 2nd replay.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:26 pm 
Post subject:

Tynie Topics wrote:
Here's a question, is it a programme, or just a team sheet? What factors would you use to decide?

I'd say that the word "teamsheet" is a descriptive sub-division of the word "programme".

Using the definition for a "programme" in the Cambridge English Dictionary (see below), this (single sheet) programme seems to meet all the necessary criteria:

"a thin book or piece of paper giving information about a.....sports event, usually bought at the theatre or place where the event happens"

Whether it is a single sheet or 100 pages in length is irrelevant!
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:34 pm 
Post subject:

39 years ago (1975) and an FA Youth Cup 3rd Rd replay between Blackpool and Everton.

The programme is a large single sheet, printed on one side only, with just the team line-ups.

Everton won the tie 1-0.

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:46 pm 
Post subject:

derby1884 wrote:
Tynie Topics wrote:

I'd say that the word "teamsheet" is a descriptive sub-division of the word "programme".

Using the definition for a "programme" in the Cambridge English Dictionary (see below), this (single sheet) programme seems to meet all the necessary criteria:

"a thin book or piece of paper giving information about a.....sports event, usually bought at the theatre or place where the event happens"

Whether it is a single sheet or 100 pages in length is irrelevant!

An interesting question and a reasoned response.

Prior to the days of teamsheets being a regular addition to the matchday collection, I think anything issued pre early 70s would be classed as a programme whether it was a single sheet or a few pages.

A lot of single sheets were made of stiffer paper and usually had more information than the modern day sheet and were sold for 1d or 2d. These would definitely be classed as programmes.

But what about a modern day single sheet?

A single sheet teamsheet issued in addition to a full programme is a teamsheet.

But if a simlar style/size teamsheet is issued for a reserve or youth game when there is no programme, is this classed as a teamsheet or does it become a programme?
Maidonian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:31 pm 
Post subject:

The reason I have this programme sums up everything that is good about certain people in our hobby who endeavour to help others whenever possible. I have been searching for many, many years for a relatively small number of post-war Maidenhead programmes with very little success. Very, very occasionally one appears on a dealers list (usually having been part of a larger mixed non-league lot at a auction house) or on eBay, so in the meantime I always contact various collectors/dealers with a wants list.

After one such request Ian Hands contacted me and it transpired he had one programme I needed but it was in his personal collection of one per season of Sussex non-league clubs. Ian explained that if I could find another example of a Worthing home programme from 1949/50 season, he'd swap it for the one I required and, after a little bit of searching through dealers catalogues, the exchange was made and here is the one I was searching for.

Worthing finished 5th, Maidenhead 10th and Hounslow Town won the title. Eight page programme printed black on white.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:16 pm 
Post subject:

bisphamseasider wrote:
Prior to the days of teamsheets being a regular addition to the matchday collection, I think anything issued pre early 70s would be classed as a programme whether it was a single sheet or a few pages.

A lot of single sheets were made of stiffer paper and usually had more information than the modern day sheet and were sold for 1d or 2d. These would definitely be classed as programmes.

But what about a modern day single sheet?

A single sheet teamsheet issued in addition to a full programme is a teamsheet.

But if a simlar style/size teamsheet is issued for a reserve or youth game when there is no programme, is this classed as a teamsheet or does it become a programme?

Perhaps a debate for a dedicated thread, but my view has always been if the teamsheet contained info in addition to the line-ups, and showed a price, then it’s a single sheet issue. Anything else is a teamsheet.

Perhaps
Linnet74

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:56 pm 
Post subject:

Back to 2004 and Lynn are at home and in action against Conference side Exeter City in the 4th Round of the F.A. Trophy. Exeter City travelled up the previous day for the match. Lynn lost 0-3.

The programme is full of info, including match stats, pen pics, club info, along with a liberal sprinkling of adverts

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:51 pm 
Post subject:

Northumberland Minor Cup tie 19 years ago today between Amble Town and Walker Stack Fos.

Amble were very much on form that season having scored 7 or more goals in a game no fewer than eight times already.

Very interesting 16 page programme issued includes a bulletpoint article on all the various things that need to be done for a small non-lge club such as Amble to host a match.

And I bet this is the only programme where supporters are advised to "beware flying frogs".

The mind boggles...

Maidonian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:21 pm 
Post subject:

Nyewood Lane, home of Bognor Regis Town, has always been my favourite non-league ground. It has excellent facilities, an award winning playing surface and superb catering (especially the bread pudding). To cap it all Bognor have, in all of the thirty two years I have watched matches between our clubs, always tried to play the right way (IMHO) by keeping the ball on the deck as much as possible and their matches are usually quite entertaining as a result.

This 28 page programme was issued for an Isthmian League Division 1 game in 1994. Bognor finished 12th, Maidenhead 17th (of 22), Bishop's Stortford won the title.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: