Football Programmes Centre

January
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
January
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maidonian

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:46 pm 
Post subject:

1939 and a visit to Forest Gate for an Amateur Cup 1st round tie against Clapton. I always thoroughly enjoyed my visits to the Old Spotted Dog ground, and although it was somewhat dilipidated in 1976 and can only have deteriorated since, it was a place full of character and you could scarcely believe that the club's record crowd had been 12,000. This game ended 2-2 and a four page programme printed red on white paper was issued.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:36 pm 
Post subject:

One of the interesting aspects of collecting programmes from the initial seasons of the Football League Trophy (or whatever the relevant sponsor's name may be) is that you come across all manner of cobbled-together issues.

Here, Colchester seem to have run this 4 page issue off on an old-fashioned mimeograph machine for the visit of Southend this day in 1986. Freight Rover that season's beneficents.

For 10p, though, it's still pretty good value with a whole page devoted to untangling the rather convoluted format of that season's competition, "club comment" concentrating on how well the club's Youth team are doing and lineups on the back page. With a few more club notes for good measure.

1,364 turned up to see Colchester win 4-1 with a hat-trick from Perry Groves, all 4 of the goals coming in the first half.

Linnet74

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:32 pm 
Post subject:

Back to 1950 and Lynn take on Norwich City 'A' at The Walks. This was an Eastern Counties League match which Lynn won 3-1. Other 'A' teams in the league were supplied by Tottenham Hotspur, Arsenal, Chelsea and West Ham. When it came to play the 'away' matches against the 'A' teams, the matches were actually played on the 'away' teams ground.

Lynn seemed able to attract several big names to the club and in this line up you will notice Percy Hooper (ex Spurs) in goal.

The programme is a 16 page issue, with a good mix of information and adverts.

Maidonian

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:26 pm 
Post subject:

1949 and an Amateur Cup tie at Bromley which the home side won 3-0 en route to winning the competition defeating Romford 1-0 in the first Amateur Cup final to be played at Wembley. This programme was a large four page effort printed black on blue paper. Bromley and Maidenhead are both currently members of the Conference South, the Kent side are league leaders, the Berkshire side are 19th Sad

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:35 pm 
Post subject:

76 years ago (1938) and a 1st Division fixture between Everton and Blackpool.

Everton won this game by 3 goals to 1 with Buchan scoring the Blackpool goal.

The programme is a superb 36 page issue with plenty to read and lots of information.

Definitely one of the best pre-war programmes I have in my collection.

sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:49 pm 
Post subject:

An FA Amateur Cup 1st rd replay between Bishop's Stortford and Ruislip Manor. 42 years ago today.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Linnet74

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:48 pm 
Post subject:

Back to 1983 and Lynn are drawn away in the 1st Round of the F.A. Trophy. Lynn managed a 1-1 draw in Wales. Lost the replay at home 0-2.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:03 pm 
Post subject:

48 years ago and a 1-1 draw at Upton Park leaves Northampton one place above the relegation zone, West Ham three places above them.

The 12 page programme is full of club news with not a single advertisement to be seen.

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:11 pm 
Post subject:

101 years ago (1913) and an FA Cup 1st Rd replay between Tottenham Hotspur and Blackpool.

The 1st game, 5 days earlier, had ended in a 1-1 draw with Charles scoring the Blackpool goal.

Blackpool gave up their ground rights for this replay and probably wished they hadn’t as they went down by 6 goals to 1 with Charles scoring again for Blackpool.

The programme was a large size 8 pages and had plenty of content.

Maidonian

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:25 pm 
Post subject:

1960 and an Amateur Cup 1st round replay at Gander Green Lane, Sutton which Maidenhead won 3-2. Six page gatefold programme printed black on amber paper.

Linnet74

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:50 pm 
Post subject:

Back to 1960 and the visitors to The Walks are Weymouth. The match ended in a 3-3 draw in front of 1818 spectators.

The programme is the standard issue for the era, with lots of stats included, as well as the usual plethora of adverts,

sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:14 pm 
Post subject:

42 years ago, 1971 Banbury United v Minehead, FA Amateur Trophy 1st Rd

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:33 pm 
Post subject:

I doubt any league club had a more dire record in the FA Cup of the 1950s than Derby did.

Here, 62 years ago today, 30,177 turned up on a Wednesday afternoon to see Boro progress with an easy 2-0 victory in this 3rd round replay.

Usual 8 page issue from the club.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:35 pm 
Post subject:

sharrowblade wrote:
42 years ago, 1971 Banbury United v Minehead, FA Amateur Trophy 1st Rd

The years do tend to merge into one as we get older....I could tell you what I did 30 years ago but not last week. That's a blur.

But it's actually 43 years ago Smile
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:40 pm 
Post subject:

66 years ago (1948) and a 1st Division fixture between Wolverhampton Wanderers and Blackpool.

Over 46,000 witnessed a 1-1 draw with Wolves’ players scoring both goals.

The programme is 12 pages with lots of reading and information including fixtures for the Central League, Birmingham Combination and Birmingham League.

The only adverts are on the inside front and back covers and the outside back cover is blank except for a tiny reference to the printers.

Maidonian

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:20 pm 
Post subject:

1925 and a Spartan League fixture at York Road against Sutton Court (formerly Old Latymerians) from Northolt. Maidenhead won 5-1 and finished 9th, Sutton Court 13th (of 14) and Chesham United won the title. Usual four page programme issued printed black on orange paper.

Linnet74

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:08 pm 
Post subject:

Back to 1981 and the now defunct South Liverpool were the visitors to The Walks. This was Lynns first season (of three) in the Northern Premier League, being 'transferred' from the Southern. The match ended in a 2-2 draw in front of a 176.

The programme is a drab affair with very little infomation. The little information there is, is not updated through the season.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:45 pm 
Post subject:

Some European football giants will do anything to add to their burgeoning trophy cabinet.

Including passing themselves off as some homespun Northamptonshire amateur outfit...Smile

Maidonian

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:41 pm 
Post subject:

1947 and a Corinthian League fixture at Windsor & Eton. Windsor finished 3rd, Maidenhead 8th (of 12), Walton & Hersham won the Championship. Gatefold programme printed black on beige paper.

Our home match today has been postponed because of a waterlogged pitch, but I'd wager that the Stag Meadow surface in 1947 was in considerably worse condition than our York Road pitch this afternoon.
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:15 pm 
Post subject:

derby1884 wrote:
Some European football giants will do anything to add to their burgeoning trophy cabinet.

Including passing themselves off as some homespun Northamptonshire amateur outfit...Smile

Laughing Laughing Laughing

50 years ago today 1964: Bletchley v Wellingborough (Metropolitan League)

| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: