Football Programmes Centre

Hole Punched Programmes
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Hole Punched Programmes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
happy_hammer66

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:50 pm 
Post subject: Hole Punched Programmes

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if you could help me with something. I purchased a programme at a car boot sale last year for 50p but it has been hole punched by the previous owner. My question is this: Does the fact that it has been hole punched decrease its value dramatically?

The programme in question is OS Idrettsplass v West Ham United (Friendly) 07.08.1975

Thanks,

MKJ
Darlington v WHU (LGE Cup) 24/10/1960
Cardiff City v WHU(LGE Cup Semi) 02/02/1966
WHU v Sunderland 13/01/1968
WHU v Manchester United (FA Cup 5th Rd) 15/02/1986
WHU Reserves v Portsmouth 05/12/1995
Hartlepool United v Darlington (Division 3 Play Off Semi-Final) 13/05/2000
Darlington v Leyton Orient 03/05/2003
Swansea v Luton (LDV Vans Trophy) 28/09/2004
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:23 am 
Post subject:

Very dramatically, yes.

50% minimum, I'd say
TheMusic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:30 am 
Post subject:

Sorry to hijack the thread but I have a similar question - is such a percentage reduction true for ex-binder programme issues too?
Posh1959

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:49 am 
Post subject:

I believe punched holes makes a programme worthless unless its an incredibly rare issue. Most collectors i know will not buy anything with punched holes and ex bound volumne its all down to the individual but i would not not buy any punched holes or ex bound vol programmes
Dorking

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:10 am 
Post subject:

If its 1920s or earlier, I am not at all fussy about ex-bound volume.
Wouldn't touch punched holes with a barge pole though
Also would not interested at all if the cover is missing
seand

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:17 am 
Post subject:

Speaking as a (cheap ass) collector who's happy to pick up relevant sub-standard rarities you'd have to be looking at minimum 50% discount for punch holes, and probably more of a discount than that.
martino

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:33 pm 
Post subject:

You can have programmes professionally restored which would reduce the impact of defects. As to whether this is cost-effective depends on
the value of the item as it is, the cost of the repair and the potential value post repair.
BAZZABAGGIES

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:11 pm 
Post subject:

Dont bother having the Idrettsplass v West Ham programme restored it sells for around £3
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:07 pm 
Post subject:

I do not like programmes with punch holes (or ones with bits missing, writing on the cover, heavy rust marks or cellotape for that matter) but if one of my last remaining post war friendlies or postponements turned up with such faults, I would have no hesitation adding it to my collection for the time being.

For the right price of course.
Wullie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:45 pm 
Post subject:

Punch holes are a big no no . I did buy on once for £15 , had it restored and sold it for £125 . But generally speaking avoid.
Ex-binder programmes. I have no problem with pre war stuff as long as the cover is attached. Generally better condition than match worn programmes I can't see the problem with them. They were produced at the time for a particular game, just because they were not sold on the day to the crowd doesn't make them any less valuable in my eyes.
slightfold

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:28 pm 
Post subject:

Hi, I'm with you all on the punched holes though maybe less 'evil' if the holes are only in white paper, and easier to repair, even though 'fixed' programmes are devalued in the process. I collect Wales VIP and the ribbon is put through punched holes in the spine (instead of staples). Probably as bad if not worse is trimmed? Ex binders are often edge damaged with the glue and sometimes string used to make the binding and invariably are missing the covers, so not for me.
Merry Xmas to all and may all your gaps be filled in the coming year!!
manchesterunitedman1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:53 pm 
Post subject: Punched in the Hole!

Always an interesting debate, not anywhere nearly as riveting as the rusty staple issue or the re-used envelopes and steamed stamps to save tuppence but always still gets a few people to comment.

I think it is a marmite issue for sure, but Bispham for me nails it on the head-if a rare or a scarce issue turns up and has punched holes-you take it and worry about it another day. Prices are lower to some degree generally with a PH item, but if there is a real scarcity and depending on how you view it then sometimes the price is not always as low as you may expect or hope it to be. A point in case would be this issue Shamrock Rovers v Manchester United 1948-1949. Programme is a very scarce item, a rarity in fact that does not turn up that often, this example has punched holes, it is in an excellent condition for a simple 4 page item and although there is some writing inside [which i feel gives it some character] but i do draw the line when there is all sorts written on the cover!. I do not think i have anymore than a handfull of programmes with a score or any writing on the cover as i have tried to replace them over the years but occassionally when a rare one is concerned-"I live with it!"

Of course Eamonn Fitzmaurice can repair PH in his sleep and some time ago was charging just a few pounds but i always feel you can notice once you know it is there and that is not for me.

I am showing one side of the front and the side with Black card behind it to accentuate it but ten years ago this programme was selling for several hundred and i do not believe if this particular one came to the market punched holes or not it would be that much different such is the scarcity.

For regular common or garden issues i have to agree with everyone else-leave well alone as that type of item has no real value anyway so why waste money on something worth nowt to start with!

Happy Christmas and a Great New Year to you all!
Leslie Millman is manchesterunitedman1
www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterunitedman1/sets
Flickr now with over 8,800 images and around 1.8 million viewers offers a wide selection of Newton Heath and Manchester United memorabillia since 1886. New items being added on a regular basis.
Always looking to add to my collection-discretion always assured. Wave

Last edited by manchesterunitedman1 on Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
happy_hammer66

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:57 pm 
Post subject: Hole Punched Programmes

Thank you everyone for your advice.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all.
goonerboy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:18 pm 
Post subject:

If prog is particularly rare then willing to accept punch holes or ex-binder . If it is pre-war then more willing to accept as likely less copies around but if i do see a better copy later at an affordable price then will replace it. However I am not keen on repaired items. After all replacing missing pieces of prog are not authentic just aesthetic. It reminds me of the "Only fools and horses" sketch and trigger says he has had the same broom for many years.....although he has replaced the brush head 5 times and the handle 3 times. I would rather the prog is the original even if damaged.
Eck

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:08 pm 
Post subject:

I have 2 or 3 old ones in my collection but they are only fillers until I can replace them,I can handle minor faults but that one is major
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Queries About Football Programmes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: