Football Programmes Centre

First issues ini Scottish League since 1955
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
First issues ini Scottish League since 1955

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Everything and Anything Scottish. In Honour of John Holroyd. RIP.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnwells

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:03 am 
Post subject: First issues ini Scottish League since 1955

I am aware that a number of clubs that joined the League in the 1950's, and a few that were already members did not issue programmes for a few years

I have the relevant issues for those joining since Clydebank, but would like to know exactly what clubs these were.

arbroath, berwick , forfar, stirling albioon and stranraer were among them bt who were thee others, andcan anyone please advise details re 1st issues.

thank you

john
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
hibernian

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:14 am 
Post subject:

John
Not 100% sure what uou are asking
EKIs for the clubs you mention are
Arbroath v stirling 5/9/59. They did not issue prior to 59/60
Berwick v Coldstream 16/10/46. Berwick did not join the league proper till 55/6, not sure of the first issue
Forfar v rangers 69/70 scottish cup. First ever issue
Stirling v Hearts 13/8/49. They did not issue prior to this season
Stranraer v Cowdenbeath 46/7 scottish cup Stranraer, like berwick did not join league proper till 55/6.
I have a note somewhere for the first league games for Berwick and Stranraer. I will dig them out.
Do you need any other info??
cheers
Eric
hibernian

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:13 am 
Post subject:

i have checked back and I think you are asking about the 5 clubs that joined the league in 55/6 season.I am not sure about pre season friendlies but first issues would be
berwick v stranraer 17/8/55 lg cup, and first lg home would be 10/9/55 v east stirling. These will be definite issues

brechin city. i do not think they issued in 55/6 at all and have never seen an issue after 30 years of looking.. This could be wrong as they sporadically issued prior to joining the league. They did issue in 56/7 I have a common issue v cowdenbeath 6/10/56.

east stirling I have never seen an issue between 55/6 and 62/3 although they did issue a single sheet v raith in 54/5 . first issue 63/4 v q park lg cup 10/8/63 and first leafue issue v st johnstone 7/9/63

montrose v east stirling 17/8/55 lg cup and 7/9/55 v third lanark in league

stranraer v montrose 13/8/55 lg cup and 7/9/55 v albion rovers in the league
Hope this helps
johnwells

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:32 pm 
Post subject: first issues

Eric

Hi thank you for your help, yes essentially it was those 5 clubs that joined in 55-56, and any clubs such as Forfar who were already members but did not issue until the 60's or 70'. what was Frfars first regulr issue

I believe Dumbarton are another, issued for a while

I knew, and have the Forfar, and the Clydebank issue, plus I think the relevant isues for the clubs that have come in in the last 20 years..
thank you

john
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
hibernian

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:02 pm 
Post subject:

Hi John
Dumbarton first ever issue was friendly v tranmere 5/8/68, I am not sure if they issued regularly through the 68/9 season and did not issue at all in 69/70. first lg cup fixture was 10/8/68 v albion rovers and first lg issue was v montrose on 21/8/68. i cant catagorically say they issued for either of these but I would think they did.
Forfar first regular season of issue was 75/6 ( only the rangers and aberdeen 71/2 opening of lights were issued prior)
firsts home was lg cup v alloa 13/8/75 and first lg v cowdenbeath 30/8/75
I presume they issued for these games but again i cant be sure.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:13 pm 
Post subject:

Are we discounting these clubs appearances in the C Division upto 1954-55?
johnwells

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:30 am 
Post subject: scottish 1st issues

hi yes thank you for your inoput bt I am disregarding the C divisionn

john
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:38 pm 
Post subject: Re: scottish 1st issues

johnwells wrote:
hi yes thank you for your inoput bt I am disregarding the C divisionn

john

Well it was part of the Scottish League, so in reality these clubs league debuts did not take place in 1955-56
hibernian

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:03 pm 
Post subject:

There was no promotion or relegation from Div C Tynie and reserve sides were included. As far as I am concerned that discounts them from being league clubs.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:36 pm 
Post subject:

hibernian wrote:
There was no promotion or relegation from Div C Tynie and reserve sides were included. As far as I am concerned that discounts them from being league clubs.

There was. Brechin City won the 1953-54 C Div North East and therefore Dumbarton were relegated from Div B and Brechin went up. That was the only occasion from 1949-50 to 1954-55 that a non 2ndXI won it hence why it appears there was no promotion/relegation.

1948-49 Forfar went up, East Stirling went down.
1947-48 East Stirling went up, Leith Athletic went down
Gorgie JT

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:55 am 
Post subject:

hibernian wrote:

What happened to the c division and why was it stopped?
What teams reserves took part?
Jambojim

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:49 am 
Post subject:

Tynie Topics wrote:
hibernian wrote:

There was. Brechin City won the 1953-54 C Div North East and therefore Dumbarton were relegated from Div B and Brechin went up. That was the only occasion from 1949-50 to 1954-55 that a non 2ndXI won it hence why it appears there was no promotion/relegation.

My grandad played for Leith Athletic back then Smile
hibernian

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:13 pm 
Post subject:

Tynie Topics wrote:
hibernian wrote:

Well you learn something new everyday! Sincere thanks for pointing that out Tynie, I did not know that.
Only saving grace for Scottish collectors is that Forfar, East Stirling and Brechin did not issue in the relevant seasons( I THINK!!)
hibernian

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:49 pm 
Post subject:

Gorgie JT wrote:
hibernian wrote:

What happened to the c division and why was it stopped?
What teams reserves took part?

The last season was 54/5 as stated above when the 5 clubs were admitted into B division in an overhaul and extention of clubs in Scottish football.
Reserve clubs from most A Division sides took part.
Hibs and Hearts played in the East and North league, so I assume there was also a west/south league as well
However Celtic played in our league from 50/1 to 54/5 for some reason !!!
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Everything and Anything Scottish. In Honour of John Holroyd. RIP. All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: