Football Programmes Centre

December
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
December
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:33 pm 
Post subject:

68 years ago (1945) and a Football League North fixture between Chesterfield and Blackpool.

Blackpool won 3-0 with 2 goals from Mortensen and an own goal.

The programme was a flimsy 4 page issue with just team line ups, a half time score board and details of the next fixture. There were no notes or information on the opposition but nevertheless the type of programme I like, simple and succinct.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:58 pm 
Post subject:

21 years ago and an Autoglass Trophy preliminary round tie between Bolton Wanderers and Bury.

Included as the front cover features one of the best players I've ever seen playing "live" - David Lee. On his day at Gigg Lane in the late 80s he was unplayable.

By the time this match took place, though, he was plying his trade at Bolton.

8 page reduced programme issued for 50p but still plenty to read including a "Down The Years On This Day" feature.

Game finished in a 1-1 draw.

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:07 pm 
Post subject:

69 years ago (1944) and a Football League North fixture between Burnley and Blackpool.

Blackpool had some high scores throughout the season but on this occasion were on the wrong end of a 5-1 scoreline.

The programme was a 4 page issue with team line ups and very brief notes in the centre and a full page advert for Massey’s Golden Bitter Ales on the back cover.

Maidonian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:44 pm 
Post subject:

The Berks & Bucks FA won 3-1. Eight page programme printed black on light blue.
pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:41 pm 
Post subject:

Rovers v V.S. Rugby in 1986. A 20 page issue for 50p.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:11 pm 
Post subject:

80 years ago and a 2-0 win for 3rd placed Derby at Villa Park in front of 30,426.

Usual top quality 16 page issue from the home team includes a superb squad photograph of the visiting team, a report on the death of William George (who had kept goal for Villa in the 1905 Cup Final) and a very strange article about team captains submitting to "the osculatory caresses of damsels fair"

Masses of stats, league tables, match reports and, of course, adverts.

A great read. And all for 2d.

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:24 pm 
Post subject:

75 years ago (1938) and a 1st Division fixture between Middlesbrough and Blackpool.

An almighty thrashing for the Seasiders as Middlesbrough ran out winners by 9 goals to 2 in front of just 17,000 spectators.

To make matters worse someone has written the score at the top of the programme.

I imagine we played this one with less players than Middlesbrough. Laughing

If anyone has a match report handy please drop me a PM.

A good 12 page programme was issued with plenty of reading and information.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:47 pm 
Post subject:

58 years ago and arguably - no, make that definitely - the low point in the history of Derby County.

From FA Cup winners less than 10 years earlier to being eliminated from the competition, at home, by a non-league side. And not just beaten but humiliated. 6-1.

To make matters worse, the Boston team included 7 ex-Derby players, including 1946 Cup winner Reg Harrison.

Usual 16 page programme issued. The notes on the visiting team describe Boston as "useful and enterprising". The 23,757 in attendance that day wouldn't have argued.

Many years ago I spoke to someone who had been at the game - "they could have scored 10 if they'd wanted", he muttered, the memory still painful, "but they felt sorry for us in the end"

Maidonian

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:34 pm 
Post subject:

1963 and a friendly against our Berkshire neighbours who won 4-0 in front of a crowd of 464.

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:42 pm 
Post subject:

46 years ago (1967) and a scarce single sheet between Blackpool and Chorley in a Lancashire Senior Cup replay.

The teams competing in this competition around the late 60s early 70s were made up mainly of reserves which at times resulted in some ‘shock’ results.

This match finished 2-2, as did the first tie, and Chorley went on to win the 2nd replay 2-1.

Maidonian

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:59 pm 
Post subject:

1948 and a Berks & Bucks Junior Cup between our Reserves and Maidenhead North Town.

sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:25 pm 
Post subject:

70 years ago today 1943

Arsenal v The Spammers at White Hart Lane

Single sheet programme

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:43 pm 
Post subject:

31 years ago and a 60 mile trip across the border for Hereford United to the market town of Llanidloes in Powys.

Llanidloes Town (nicknamed "The Daffs") have been around a long time. Since 1875.

Nice 8 page programme issued, printed on yellow paper throughout. The club notes reflect on the previous meeting between the two clubs when John Charles scored 5 times in Hereford's 8-1 win at Edgar Street.

I don't know who won this match, though. If anyone does, let me know.

slightfold

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:31 pm 
Post subject:

The result of this was 1-1. However Hereford won the replay 7-0! LLanidloes is one of my favourite small towns, a real jewel.
Maidonian

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:31 pm 
Post subject:

1964 and a visit to Hertfordshire to play Ware in the friendly match which ended 2-2. Four page programme issued printed blue on white paper.

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:48 pm 
Post subject:

60 years ago (1953) and a Central League fixture between Chesterfield reserves and Blackpool reserves.

A full 12 page programme was issued with a couple of pages of written content, league tables for 4 different competitions, fixtures and half times.

The match ended 1-1.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:29 pm 
Post subject:

To Kirkcudbright and another long-established club, St.Cuthbert Wanderers, who were formed in 1879.

Here, as reigning champions of the South of Scotland League, they hosted Stranraer's reserve team in a league fixture.

6 page gatefold style issue costing 10p is very good value, with copious club notes, a half-time quiz , a half-time scoreboard and a priced list of what was available at the "refreshment caravan" (a hot pie and a bovril cost just 40p).

A league table would have been useful but perhaps had been omitted due to the club's somewhat disappointing season to date.

A splendid little issue from a club I've never yet managed to get round to visiting. Must do one day.

Kirkcudbright, of course, was used as a location in the filming of The Wicker Man. The original - not the dire remake.

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:51 pm 
Post subject:

61 years ago (1952) and a 1st Division fixture between Stoke City and Blackpool.

A very nice 12 page programme was issued including 2 pages on the opponents and an article entitled ‘Stoke Snapshots’ which featured John Sellars.

Stoke ran out comfortable winners by 4 goals to nil.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:57 pm 
Post subject:

Hindsford had an unusual birth, founded, as they were, during the miners' strike of 1926 to "give bored miners something to do".

71 years later and what the programme describes as the biggest game in their history, a Lancashire Amateur Shield 4th round tie with Wigan College, a club several rungs ahead of them on the ladder.

4 page programme issued. Unpriced so presumably free with admission. The club notes state that the tournament sponsors, Hollands Pies of Baxenden, had sent along loads of said pies for the occasion and that spectators were more than willing to join the players after the match for a bite to eat and a pint. You don't get that offer in the Premier League!

It also pays homage to committee member Sam Jolly who, single-handed, had painted the dressing rooms, mended the showers, fixed the fence round the pitch and done all the breezeblocking around the clubhouse.

Hope he'd enough energy left to watch the game Smile

Maidonian

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:44 pm 
Post subject:

1952 and a visit to Grays Athletic for a Corinthian League fixture which was abandoned eight minutes from the end because of "bad light" with the home side leading 7-0. When the match was replayed in March, Maidenhead won 2-1. Grays finished 6th, Maidenhead 9th (of 14), Carshalton Athletic won the title. Eight page programme issued printed black on blue paper.

| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: