Football Programmes Centre

November
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
November
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:02 pm 
Post subject:

42 years ago..... Derby County v Sheffield United

November 20th 1971

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:19 pm 
Post subject:

50 years ago (1963) and a British Championship fixture between England and Northern Ireland played at Wembley.

England won 8-3 with 4 goals from Jimmy Greaves and a hat-trick from Terry Paine. Bobby Smith got the other.

A 16 page programme was issued.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:09 pm 
Post subject:

92 years ago and an early Sunday kick-off for a friendly match down Millwall way.

4 page issue and, as the Stratford & District Lge table is on page 2, inhabited by clubs such as White Hart, Elder Tree and Duke of York, I can only surmise this is an early version of a pub league.

There's a big ad for the Kingsbridge Arms which appears to be the HQ of the home club.

Kingsbridge won 3-1, if the owner of the programme is to be believed, as he's written this on in pencil.

Nice ad for London char-a-bancs on the back page.

Unusual issue - can't for the life of me recall how or where I acquired it.

BarnsleyCollector

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:41 pm 
Post subject:

Love the Stocksbridge Works programme from yesterday, Sharrow. Just up my street collecting - wise.

My Dad worked at Stocksbridge for most of his working life so I have a great affinity with their programmes
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:05 am 
Post subject:

BarnsleyCollector wrote:
Love the Stocksbridge Works programme from yesterday, Sharrow. Just up my street collecting - wise.

My Dad worked at Stocksbridge for most of his working life so I have a great affinity with their programmes

Cheers BC....

60 years ago today: November 21st 1953

Preston North End 2 Sheff United 1

The usual pocket sized Preston programme from this era.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:35 pm 
Post subject:

60 years ago (1953) and a 1st Division match between Manchester United and Blackpool.

United won this 4-1 with Blackpool’s goal coming from Perry.

The attendance of just under 30,000 was relatively low considering Blackpool had played in front of gates of 40, 50 and 60 thousand on their travels that season.

A standard 12 page programme was issued with plenty of written material.

Maidonian

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:53 pm 
Post subject:

2006 and after a wait of 30 years I finally get to see a FA Cup 1st round tie at York Road. Having drawn 1-1 at Stafford ten days earlier, a crowd of 1,934 attended the replay with the winners due to visit the Withdean Stadium in the 2nd round. The visitors secured a 2-0 win although Maidenhead missed a penalty when one behind. Usual 32 page glossy programme issued, price £2, colour front and back, black and white inside.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:15 pm 
Post subject:

1992 and an Anglian Combination fixture at Mulbarton United where Yarmouth Town's reserve XI were the visitors.

12 page programme is reasonable value for 30p - not too many adverts, plenty stats and a full page article from the team manager.

From what I can gather, the motto on the front cover was sadly wide of the mark as the club folded about 10 years ago due to lack of players, lack of money and a general lack of interest.

There were rumours of a dodgy chairman and even dodgier finances but we all know football is far too well-policed - then and now - for there to be any basis in such spurious gossip....ha.

pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:05 am 
Post subject:

Back to 1995 for a mid season friendly.
This one was to celebrate Brislington's new floodlights at Ironmold lane.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
BarnsleyCollector

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:24 am 
Post subject:

21st November 1985 English Schools Trophy match Barnsley Boys beat Sunderland Boys 5-2.

Looking at the Barnsley team 28 years later there are 3 players who I have played with in recent years in Veterans football - they will all be 43 years old now !

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:08 pm 
Post subject:

66 years ago (1947) and a 1st Division fixture between Middlesbrough and Blackpool.

The result was a comprehensive win for the home side by 4 goals to nil.

A 4 page programme was issued with team line-ups and a half-time scoreboard inside and notes and fixtures on the back cover.

Maidonian

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:13 pm 
Post subject:

2011 and the last of our nine matches (2 draws, 7 defeats) in the 1st round of the FA Cup and a 2-0 replay defeat at Aldershot Town watched by 2,182 spectators. Glossy full colour 60 page programme issued, price £3.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:38 pm 
Post subject:

66 years ago and a fixture from Bedford Avenue's final season in the Corinthian League with Hounslow Town the visitors.

6 page gatefold issue has lineups and (some very upbeat) notes from the club chairman and that's all. A couple of the pages were blank - presumably the club had difficulty selling the advertising space.

They also had difficulty on the pitch, finishing bottom of the table with just 8 points from 26 matches and conceding 106 goals.

Another name from the past long since gone.

BarnsleyCollector

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:12 pm 
Post subject:

One of my favourite Non League programmes is the one from the FA Cup First Round on 22nd November 1952 as Yorkshire League club Beighton Miner's Welfare lost 3-0 at "home" to Wrexham.

The home venue was switched to Rotherham United's Millmoor Ground and Rotherham produced their standard 8 page programme. They even kept their own first team and reserve fixtures on page 3. They did print pen pictures of both clubs but unfortunately there is no comment or narrative on the match itself which turned out to be Beighton's only appearance in the Competition Proper.

sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:16 am 
Post subject:

BarnsleyCollector wrote:
One of my favourite Non League programmes is the one from the FA Cup First Round on 22nd November 1952 as Yorkshire League club Beighton Miner's Welfare lost 3-0 at "home" to Wrexham.

The home venue was switched to Rotherham United's Millmoor Ground and Rotherham produced their standard 8 page programme. They even kept their own first team and reserve fixtures on page 3. They did print pen pictures of both clubs but unfortunately there is no comment or narrative on the match itself which turned out to be Beighton's only appearance in the Competition Proper.

Great programme BC, love this one, played against Beighton MW many times. My juniors played them a couple of years ago four times (of course we won....every time) but we still pop into the club occassionally. Always a good welcome. Nice one. Smile
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:24 am 
Post subject:

A Zurich derby this day 1958 - 65 years ago

Grasshoppers v FC Zurich

Don't think much of the shorts on the front No

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:22 pm 
Post subject:

22 years ago and to North Wales for a Gwynedd League fixture with Pwllheli visiting Blaenau Ffestiniog.

Both clubs had recently been reformed and, as they were occupying the bottom two places in the league table, presumably still finding their feet.

24 page programme issued, 16 pages of which are adverts. Some in Welsh, some in English.

Inevitably, there's an ad for the wonderful Porthmadog to Ffestiniog narrow gauge steam railway which, I can tell you, is worth every penny of the ticket price.

There are 3 ads in the programme for heating engineers - I'm not surprised as you would need to be well insulated to live in the village. Freezing cold even on an August afternoon!

Maidonian

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:06 pm 
Post subject:

1963 and a visit to Memorial Park, Redhill for an Athenian League fixture which the home side won 3-2. Redhill finished 8th, Maidenhead 9th (of 14), Barnet won the title. Eight page programme issued.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:40 pm 
Post subject:

48 years ago and a testimonial match at Redheugh Park for Gateshead's Johnny Ingham.

Am outside-right, Ingham had joined the club in 1942, left for North Shields in 1957 but in the early 60s, after Gateshead dropped out of the league, he returned to help them out on the pitch.

8 page ad-free programme issued includes a great team shot of the Gateshead side which reached the FA Cup quarter final back in 1953.

The All-Star XI has a distinct north-east bias, including players such as Bob Stokoe, Ronnie Simpson, Jackie Milburn and Stan Anderson.

Ingham died in May 2002 at the age of 77.

Maidonian

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:18 pm 
Post subject:

1965 and a visit to Elm Park, Reading for a Wycombe Floodlight League Cup tie against their Reserves which Maidenhead won 3-1. A strange competition this season as the winners were the team that scored the most goals which was Slough Town with 10. Reading and Wycombe Wanderers both scored 9 and Maidenhead finished bottom with 5. Hard to find single sheet issue printed on one side only.

| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: