Football Programmes Centre

October
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
October
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maidonian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:45 am 
Post subject:

1922 and a home Spartan League fixture against Aylesbury United. Usual four page programme issued printed black on beige paper.

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:52 pm 
Post subject:

69 years ago and a single sheet for a Football League North fixture between Southport and Blackpool.

Blackpool won the game 5-4 and in the return fixture a week later doubled their tally by winning 10-2.

BarnsleyCollector

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:09 pm 
Post subject:

41 years ago today - Immingham Town v Lincoln United Reserves in the Lincolnshire League Division 1.

8 page typed programme.

Immingham Town were managed at the time by Ron Cockerill, father of Glenn and John who both went on to have professional careers - Glenn making over 700 League appearances. There's a note in the programme about Ron's eldest boy, Glenn, having a broken thigh and landing up in Grimsby General for upto 10 weeks. An appeal for books and magazines to cheer him up was made in the programme. This was when Glenn was just 13 years old, a good 4 or 5 years before he made his professional debut with Lincoln City.

A back page advert for Tor Line advertises "Holidays with a Difference" including "Gay Long Weekends to Sweden" !

PaulRStoke

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:31 pm 
Post subject: Stoke FC v Plymouth Argyle 1911/12

102 years ago the Potters beat the Pilgrims in 2-1 front of a crowd of 8000.

For some reason, the man in the Chesterfield overcoat is missing from the front cover of the programme.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:49 pm 
Post subject:

69 years ago and a Football League (North) fixture between the Rams and the Blades.

9,650 watch the home team win 4-2.

Usual 4 page wartime issue from Derby. Club notes give the news that Les Bailey, who had been thought to be lying injured in a military hospital in Italy, was, in fact, anything but. He had been traced to the coaching staff of a colliery team in the North of England.

One or two questions spring to mind from that snippet of information!

Maidonian

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:07 am 
Post subject:

1921 and the oldest programme in my collection, and the third ever home issue from Maidenhead United, for the game against Yiewsley in the Great Western Suburban League. Maidenhead won 2-1 and finished 7th, Yiewsley 8th (of 13), Botwell Mission won the title. Usual four page offering printed black on pale blue paper.

The 1st home issue was for the game against Slough Trading Company on 10th September which produced this comment in the local paper.

If anyone has any pre-war Maidenhead home/aways in their collection, please get in touch as I would always be very grateful for a scan of any I am missing. Many thanks.
BarnsleyCollector

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:27 pm 
Post subject:

22nd October 1949 - a Sheffield Senior Cup tie between two Doncaster area Colliery teams, Bentley & Harworth, a copy of which has recently been sent to Harworth for them to frame and display in their new catering facilities.

They are looking out for any other pre 1970 Harworth programmes to display, so if anyone has any that can be scanned, please send me a message

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:26 pm 
Post subject:

64 years ago (1949) and a 1st Division fixture between Arsenal and Blackpool.

The programme is 16 pages and must be one of the best from that era. It is packed with reading material, facts and figures and photos including individual player portraits of the Blackpool players.

There are adverts on only 2 of the 16 pages, one for the Finsbury Park Empire and the other on the back cover for British Rail cheap trips.

Arsenal won 1-0 in front of 66,000 spectators.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:53 pm 
Post subject:

22 years ago and an Autoglass Trophy tie at Feethams between Darlington and some team called Crewe Alexander Smile

24 page programme reasonably good value for £1 - and includes its own "on this day" programme feature.

Match ended in a 2-2 draw in front of a rather sparse crowd of just 1,098 - Darlo's team shirt for that season defies description. The opposing players must have suffered from vertigo just looking at it.

BarnsleyCollector

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:51 am 
Post subject:

23rd October 1954 - Barnsley were to be Div 3N Champions at the end of the season, but lost 1-0 at Stockport County in front of 7,325

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:34 am 
Post subject:

65 years ago (1948) and an 8 page programme for a 1st Division fixture between Blackpool and Birmingham City.

A neat small format programme with notes and league tables but with nothing about the opposition and with about 50% advertising.

Blackpool won 1-0 in front of 25,000 although someone had pencilled 29,000 in the centre.

As the 25,000 came from the Blackpool Complete Record book (where I have previously mentioned inaccuracies) I am tempted to accept the higher figure.

Maidonian

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:43 pm 
Post subject:

1948 and an Amateur Cup tie against the Carpathians. Usual four page programme printed black on white.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:31 pm 
Post subject:

Back 48 years to the Cobblers' only season in the First Division and, while the first team were beating West Ham 2-1 at the County Ground, the reserves travelled to White Hart Lane for a Football Combination fixture.

Tottenham won 4-1 to move up to 3rd in the table. Cobblers dropped to 11th.

4 page advert-free programme issued. Articles on the LCC tie with Kingstonian and the upcoming friendly with a Hungarian XI included.

Good value for 2d.

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:54 am 
Post subject:

60 years ago and a 1st Division fixture between Middlesbrough and Blackpool.

Just under 40,000 were in attendance to see a 1-0 win for Blackpool with Ernie Taylor getting the goal.

The programme is 12 pages with plenty of reading and unusually for 1st Division programmes from this era, includes league tables for all 4 divisions.

sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:30 am 
Post subject:

56 years ago ......October 24th 1957....

100th Centenary Game at Bramall Lane between Sheffield FC and Queen's Park. The Sheffield team consisted of amateurs from Sheffield Club, Barnsley, Harrogate Railway, Manchester United, Pegasus, Bishop Auckland, Middlesbrough, Accrington Stanley and Billy Russell from the Blades.

The match finished 2-2

Programme

Ticket

Banquet brochure, with seating plan, menu etc etc

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
Maidonian

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:45 am 
Post subject:

A 3-2 defeat at the Saffrons, Eastbourne in a Corinthian League Memorial Shield replay. Eight page programme printed black and white.

BarnsleyCollector

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:45 pm 
Post subject:

24th October 1953 - FA Cup 3rd Qualifying Round. Goole Town v Selby Town. Selby progressed into the next round, ultimately reaching Round One and a 2-0 home defeat to Bradford Park Avenue.

Programme folded to make 6 pages. All pages except the back page "Club Letter" and match details on cover and team line ups were adverts.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:17 pm 
Post subject:

46 years ago. Dulwich Hamlet and Bromley meet in one of the more obscure tournaments of the time. Bromley had won the first leg 4-2.

4 page programme has plenty to read but a bit pricey at a tanner.

I'm the guilty one as regards the punched holes - I was young and didn't know any better!

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:36 pm 
Post subject:

66 years ago (1947) and a 1st Division fixture between Bolton Wanderers and Blackpool.

The programme is 6 pages and is a small square fold out type.

It contains notes, fixtures (including Central league and West Lancashire League), league tables and a half time scoreboard.

Bolton won 1-0 in front of 45.000.

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:38 pm 
Post subject:

derby1884 wrote:
I'm the guilty one as regards the punched holes - I was young and didn't know any better!

Shocked
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: