Football Programmes Centre

More away fans than home fans
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
More away fans than home fans
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark01

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:50 pm 
Post subject: More away fans than home fans

I went to the Coventry v Bristol City game yesterday, with the attendance registered as 2204. In all my years of watching league football I have never known the away support to be bigger than the home support.

Anyone else think of such an instance - just keep to league games and not cup games.

By the way they were giving away free programmes.

regards, Mark
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:02 pm 
Post subject:

Doncaster vs Grimsby 1971-2 Tuesday night match. Nigh on 12,000 crowd and 9,000 plus from Grimsby. We won the 4th Division title that year under McMenemy, and the following year took 22,000 to Coventry in the FA Cup, out of a crowd of 38,000 or 39,000. Having the vast majority of the crowd at an established 1st Division club was slightly surreal. Manchester Utd apart, it was their highest crowd of the season at Highfield Road that year.
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:09 pm 
Post subject:

85/6 Lincoln v Derby.

Can't quantify that with actual figures but it felt like that on the day and it was reported in the press as such.
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:19 pm 
Post subject:

Not quite the same Mark but on 13th April 1970 Blackpool won 3-0 against Preston at Deepdale to secure promotion to the top flight and help relegate Preston to the 3rd Division for the first time in their history.

There has always been some debate about the attendance that night although just over 34000 is probably the one most agreed upon. There were 15000 Blackpool fans inside that night and although Preston edged it with 19000 Blackpool had another 5000 locked outside.

Thumbs Up Clap Laughing
slightfold

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:39 pm 
Post subject:

It was reported that of the 2204 attendance at the Coventry City Bristol City match yesterday that the away support numbered about 500. The free programmes apparently were given to the 'home' supporters once inside, and the away had to pay £3. There were about 7000 at the Ricoh for the CCFC Legends v Midlands All Stars. This game might have had a bit to do with the low attendance, and a also lack of desire to travel to Northampton!
BAZZABAGGIES

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:25 pm 
Post subject:

16,000+ Albion fans for promotion match at Oldham 1975/6 out of a crowd of 22,000..
smk06

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:27 pm 
Post subject:

I may be incorrect, but didn't most well supported Premier League teams outnumber the Wimbledon fans at their home games?

Derby took at least 7000 fans to Oakwell in March 2007 in our promotion season (I was one of them) - I'm almost certain that we outnumbered the home support.
tcno10

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:02 pm 
Post subject:

bisphamseasider wrote:
Not quite the same Mark but on 13th April 1970 Blackpool won 3-0 against Preston at Deepdale to secure promotion to the top flight and help relegate Preston to the 3rd Division for the first time in their history.

There has always been some debate about the attendance that night although just over 34000 is probably the one most agreed upon. There were 15000 Blackpool fans inside that night and although Preston edged it with 19000 Blackpool had another 5000 locked outside.

Thumbs Up Clap Laughing

Jesus how times have changed !

Last year Blackpool averaged 846 away fans . Glory fans or what Laughing Laughing
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:11 pm 
Post subject:

Every single one of Darlington's away games last season?
petetivers

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:14 pm 
Post subject:

smk06 wrote:
I may be incorrect, but didn't most well supported Premier League teams outnumber the Wimbledon fans at their home games?

You are unfortunately correct. In the 10 years I watched the Dons play at Selhurst we were regularly outnumbered. Although the games rarely sold out, the capacity of Selhurst was 26,000. We had around 5,000 season ticket holders, plus a few regulars. The rest were away fans...
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:25 pm 
Post subject:

petetivers wrote:
smk06 wrote:

You are unfortunately correct. In the 10 years I watched the Dons play at Selhurst we were regularly outnumbered. Although the games rarely sold out, the capacity of Selhurst was 26,000. We had around 5,000 season ticket holders, plus a few regulars. The rest were away fans...

The Wimbledon fans at Millwall - don't have a year. Circa 1988?

mark01

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:29 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks for all those replys - its surreal being at a game like that, with the majority of supporters - even though we did lose 5-4!

I'd forgotten about Wimbledon in the days at Palace. Yes probably every home game for them was like an 'away day'.

Hi, slightfold, not quite sure where you got your figures from. We had sold over 600 tickets by last Thursday, when it was an all ticket game. By Friday it was opened up to pay on the day - the south stand was full (holds just under 1000) and we occupied the A Hargrave stand (holds 300).

Apparently Coventry fans were given a free programme on entry.

regards, Mark
badhand

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:34 pm 
Post subject:

Bristol Rovers clinched the Division 3 championship at already relegated(?) Blackpool on 5/5/90. According to Rothmans, the crowd was 6776. Reports suggest that Rovers took over 5000.
Geddon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:39 pm 
Post subject:

We had around 5,000 in a crowd of 7,575 at Bury when we won promotion from League 2 in 2005.
Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:41 pm 
Post subject:

petetivers wrote:

Towards the mid to late 90's were were edging up towards 10,000 home fans on a regular basis, with an average of around 16,000/17,000 overall I think in season 1996/97.
foxes1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:44 pm 
Post subject:

Could it happen at Pride Park this Saturday. Clap

http://dcfc-craic.forumotion.net/t14208-south-stand-your-out
Drvonshineck

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:48 pm 
Post subject:

Dundee regularly outnumber away fans in the scottish championship.

On saturday at QOS the official attendance was 2644.

The DFC ticket office sold at least 1000 tickets, no doubt there was more bought at the gates.
Shotsman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:48 pm 
Post subject:

As Derby 1884 has mentioned Darlington, for the first 3 years at least of the reformation of Aldershot we always outnumbered the home support. On another tack I remember going to wee Woking play Leigh RMI about 10 years ago and Leigh had 1 fan. Also in the mid 50s Aldershot took 2 fans to Shrewsbury. So does anyone know of a game where no fans turned up???
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:09 pm 
Post subject:

tcno10 wrote:
Jesus how times have changed !

Last year Blackpool averaged 846 away fans . Glory fans or what Laughing Laughing

No, Blackpool have never had what you would glory fans as can be seen by some of the gates over the years in the top 2 divisions.

This night in 1970 was a culmination of a superb season with promotion to the top flight and seeing our neighbours about to be dumped into Div 3 for the first time.

Not a night for a Seasider to miss out on.

O happy days.
Rocky

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:20 pm 
Post subject:

Shotsman wrote:
I remember going to wee Woking play Leigh RMI about 10 years ago and Leigh had 1 fan. Also in the mid 50s Aldershot took 2 fans to Shrewsbury.

The lonely Udinese fan Crying or Very sad http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-20700529
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: