Football Programmes Centre

August
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
August
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:56 pm 
Post subject:

I'll be back...................tomorrow
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:40 pm 
Post subject:

45 years ago today and a trip to Fellows Park for Rovers in the 3rd Division.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:00 pm 
Post subject:

51 years ago and to Brisbane Road for Leyton Orient's debut as a first division club.

Close-fought match but a losing start as Arsenal ran out 2-1 winners.

20 page programme issued, line-ups placed (unusually and awkwardly) on page 6.

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:41 pm 
Post subject:

A match from this afternoon raising money for 2 former Blackpool players who have been diagnosed with prostate cancer.

The players, Alan Ainscow (also ex Birmingham, Everton, Wolves, Rochdale and Blackburn) and Ian Britton (also ex Chelsea, Dundee United, Arbroath and Burnley) were both in attendance this afternoon along with dozens of ex Blackpool and Burnley players.

The match was between an Alan Ainscow Blackpool X1 and an Ian Britton Burnley Vintage Clarets X1 and was played at Thornton Cleveleys FC just to the north of Blackpool.

It was a fantastic afternoon with a big turn out.

Just for the record the Blackpool side won 3-2 with goals from Andy Morrell, Paul Haddow and Trevor Sinclair.

Last edited by bisphamseasider on Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:09 am; edited 1 time in total
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:15 am 
Post subject:

38 years ago today....August 19th 1975

A 3-1 win for the Gunners in a game littered with some dreadful challenges perpertrated by Arsenal's left back, Sammy Nelson.

Sammy's motto of 'Thou shall not pass', eventually ends up with his sending off late on.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:56 am 
Post subject:

74 years ago (1939) and a programme from one of the many Football League Jubilee Benevolent Fund Matches.

This one is for the game between Blackpool and Preston North End.

The 36 page programme is more like a handbook with loads of facts and figures including full results from 1938/9 season, fixtures for 1939/40 season and a chart showing the seasons each club has appeared in the various divisions.

I have only seen the programme for this game but I presume programmes for the other matches had the same content with just the centre pages being specific to the fixture.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:51 pm 
Post subject:

Back to Filbert Street 60 years ago.

The first league game outside the first division for Derby since 1926 and 35,686 witnessed a 2-2 draw, Jimmy Dunn and Jack Lee (who had played for Leicester in the '49 Cup Final) on target for the Rams.

12 page programme costing 4d (and looks like I need to upgrade my copy).

One very strange advertisement tucked away on the back page from an F.Murphy who is a dealer in scrap metal and rags (fair enough)....but also "skin and hair". Were times really so tough in Leicester in 1953?

pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:11 pm 
Post subject:

Rovers v Liverpool from Division 2 back in 1961. Could have used any cover as it was the same for the whole season. A right pain in the ass when sorting loads of them out,

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:21 pm 
Post subject:

24 years ago. The latest incarnation of what was Leytonstone, then Walthamstow Avenue then something else and now - are they Dagenham & Redbridge? Possibly.

Anyway, 20 page programme is EX+ value for money. Heaps of reading for 40p. Club's pre-season statistics page is especially detailed. Not just attendances but what was issued in terms of programmes too.

PS - typing this, I've just realised I'd already done a programme for the 19th. Sorry! Perils of getting on in years....

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:04 am 
Post subject:

Blackpool were still playing friendlies on this day in 1986 when a young side travelled to Hednesford Progressive of the West Midlands Regional League which I think was also known as The Banks’ Brewery League.

A year later Progressive changed their name to Cannock Chase but so far I haven’t been able to trace them after 2000 so I presume they folded.

A simple typed 4 page programme was produced.

sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:42 am 
Post subject:

53 years ago today..........August 20th 1960

Took this one from my little un's collection.

Kings Lynn v Folkestone Town - Southern League

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:34 pm 
Post subject:

53 years ago and Derby's 'A' team head for Spalding United in Lincolnshire.

This programme cover has and always will give me the creeps. A single-toothed deformed clown with the top of its head torn off and a flagpole rammed into the gaping hole.

And still it smiles.

6 page gatefold programme on very fragile paper. Lots of empty spaces as the club were obviously struggling to sell the advertising spots.

Perhaps the clown was putting them off....

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:07 am 
Post subject:

Blackpool practice matches I have previously shown have included Tangerines v Whites and Tangerines v Blues.

Now we have a 76 year old Stripes v Whites programme for what is noted as a second public practice match.

The relevance of the stripes is that in the period 1933 to 1938, Blackpool played in light blue and dark blue striped shirts before they formally adopted tangerine as their colours.

The programme is a single sheet made of card.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:44 pm 
Post subject:

59 years ago and the opening game of the Southern league season at the Angel Ground in Tonbridge.

8 page programme, price 3d, notes that, of the club's 23 professionals, 18 will be living in the Tonbridge area and this would hopefully prove beneficial in improving on last season's 18th place in the table.

It didn't - they finished 19th in the end.

Anyone heard of a soft drink called "Fling"? The local confectioner (S.C.Edwards) was advertising it in the programme alongside Tizer and Wall's Ice Cream.

sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:11 pm 
Post subject:

65 years ago today .....August 21st 1948

A reserve team offering between Blackpool and Sheffield united.

I know its harsh, but I can't help feeling the player on the cover looks a touch over dainty on his feet for my liking Laughing

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:50 am 
Post subject:

52 years ago (1961) and a grand comedy match between a Jock Dodds' X1 and a Frankie Vaughan's X1 played at Blackpool’s Bloomfield Road.

Jock Dodds’ team included Eric Bell, Bill Eckersley, Jimmy Gordon, Stan Mortensen, Albert Nightingale and Billy Liddell.

Frankie Vaughan’s team included Des O’Connor, Stan Stennett, Michael Holliday and Al Read.

An 8 page programme was issued with the back cover being wider than the rest of the programme which indicated that the match was in aid of Blackpool Boys’ Club building fund.

I have a spare copy of this one. If interested please send me a PM.

derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:20 pm 
Post subject:

57 years ago and, as the scan from the local newspaper notes, a dramatic 3rd Division (North) encounter between Chester and Derby.

12,197 (receipts of £1,225) saw Billy Foulkes give Chester a two goal half-time lead before two goals in 60 seconds from Woodhead and Ackerman earned Derby a draw. There was still time for Chester to be denied a "stonewall" penalty in the 90th minute.

8 page programme issued - the mixture of fonts used throughout gives it a certain individual style.

One of the harder Derby aways to find from that season.

sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:36 pm 
Post subject:

bisphamseasider wrote:

Jock Dodds’ team included Eric Bell, Bill Eckersley, Jimmy Gordon, Stan Mortensen, Albert Nightingale and Billy Liddell.

Frankie Vaughan’s team included Des O’Connor, Stan Stennett, Michael Holliday and Al Read.

Sounds like it may have been a touch one sided Bispham.

What a character Jock was, had to be with a face like that.
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:33 pm 
Post subject:

sharrowblade wrote:

Sounds like it may have been a touch one sided Bispham.

What a character Jock was, had to be with a face like that.

Yes, smashing bloke was Jock and what a goalscorer. His goals to games ratio for all his clubs must be one of the best of all time.

He scored 66 goals in one war time season for Blackpool.

On his move to Blackpool he is quoted as saying "It was a lovely sunny day and after the sooty streets of Sheffield I remember thinking it was like coming to paradise." Laughing
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:13 pm 
Post subject:

1 year ago today 2012, and the 74th match for the little uns, and a trip to Marsh lane, Home of Barton Old Boys for their reward. A NCEL game. Lovely evening in the shadows of the Humber Bridge. Attendance 88, but it did turn a bit chilly later as I recall as it invariably always does.
Staveley's keeper handed out the chocolate eclairs to the little un's during the second half and he is now Macca's favourite goalkeeper of all time. Final score 1-1.

| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: