Football Programmes Centre

June
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
June
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 10:17 pm 
Post subject:

It appears that I created some sort of monster with 'A programme from this day in History...its proved very popular, so much so its now got its own sub section. Surprised

Sorry everyone, .....but may I just take this opportunity to thank everyone who has contributed so far, in particular, Derby1884 and Maidonian. There has been some cracking programmes shown since 1st February.

Just a reminder, It doesn't have to be old, rare, or valuable. Maybe its got great artwork, or a story or maybe its just sentimental. Any country, any competition, any level.

Please feel free to add one yourselves, and maybe tell us a little bit about it. Doesn't have to be your team, just a programme in your collection, or perhaps one you'd really like.

Try to keep it to one programme per day

Let's see if we can get at least one image per day:

June will be the hardest month I suspect.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:06 am 
Post subject:

Been great fun to participate in!

I'm hoping someone has a programme for July 20th - as I've never ever seen one for that date (my birthday!).

If it was 1961, so much the better Smile
nozer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:56 am 
Post subject: progs

Here's one to cover the whole month of June , hope im not cheating there.
sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:58 am 
Post subject:

Yep, we're off and running

38 years ago today June 1st 1975

We're a long way away as United take on a Taranaki XI and win 5-1 with goals from Keith Eddy, Woody, TC and Terry Garbage (sorry, Garbutt)

A rare offering to kick us off

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Wants List
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:00 am 
Post subject:

Back to Blackpool’s 1948 tour to Sweden and Denmark, this time for a match against different Swedish opposition.

Blackpool’s opponents were IFK Gothenberg and the match was played at the old Gamla Ullevi stadium which was demolished in 2007 and rebuilt keeping the same name.

Blackpool drew this match 2-2.

An 8 page programme was issued in a similar style and size to the ones for the other games.

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:13 am 
Post subject:

derby1884 wrote:
I'm hoping someone has a programme for July 20th - as I've never ever seen one for that date (my birthday!). If it was 1961, so much the better Smile

No 1961s Derby, but I have had a quick check of my list of Blackpool friendlies and I have 4 dated 20th July.

Will just have to decide which is most appropriate at the time.
pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:43 am 
Post subject:

derby1884 wrote:
Been great fun to participate in!

I'm hoping someone has a programme for July 20th - as I've never ever seen one for that date (my birthday!).

If it was 1961, so much the better Smile

No 1961 one from that date but do have 5 from other years.

Back to June the 1st and newly promoted Rovers were in America to play Portland Timbers.
Graham Day was a Rovers player who we had loaned to Portland for the summer and that's how this game came about.

Only a 4 pager but huge (bigger than a tabloid newspaper)

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:52 pm 
Post subject:

1985 and a crowd of 39,897 watch Wigan beat Brentford 3-1, the first time the Final of this tournament had been held at Wembley.

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:46 am 
Post subject:

The penultimate match of the Australian leg of Blackpool’s 1958 tour saw them make the long trek across to Perth where they played Western Australia.

The match was played at the Western Australia Cricket Ground which has hosted many famous test matches and throughout its history has also been used for athletics, Australian Rules Football, Rugby League, Rugby Union, baseball and rock concerts. In 1973 the Rolling Stones played there.

There is also a fine cricket museum next to the ground.

A 40 page programme was produced, possibly the best of the tour.

Blackpool won the match 2-0.

Tynie Topics

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:05 am 
Post subject:

OK, since I'm about to jump on a plane to Croatia to see Scotland get humped, a few contributions;

2nd June 1979, a very young Maradona entertains the Hampden crowd, the Argies win 3-1.
3rd June 1992, a Euro 92 warm-up in Oslo, an insipid 0-0 draw
4th June 1963, a friendly in Bergen, a Denis Law hattrick but we lost 4-3

sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:28 pm 
Post subject:

51 years ago......June 2nd 1962

Over to British Columbia, Canada for todays offering.

United romp to a 4-1 friendly win against Germany's finest, with Len Allchurch and Bill Hodgson both getting a double.

This was United's seventh successive win on a 10 match tour

Lovely A4 size 20 page programme.

Adverts for Chevron, and the International Drugs Co but the one that really got me reaching for the Sauerkraut and Lederhosen was the forthcoming 'First German Song Festival'. Wunderbar Easy

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:56 am 
Post subject:

Blackpool didn’t half get around on tour in the 1940s and 1950s. This time in 1951 they popped over to Switzerland for 4 games.

I wish I had been old enough and rich enough to have followed them on these tours.

All we have had in recent times are trips to Latvia, Scotland, Northern Ireland and the Isle of Man although we did play in St Kitts a few years ago.

This match was against a combined Servette (Geneva) and Grasshoppers (Zurich) X1 and was played in Geneva.

Blackpool won the match 4-0.

The programme was an 8 page issue and included a game between Urania Genève Sport (UGS) and Berne played earlier that same afternoon.

This is another of the virtually impossible foreign tour programmes to get hold of but I managed to obtain a full photocopy many years ago.

Apologies for not showing an original but this will be probably be as close as anyone gets to seeing a cover from this tour.

If anyone has an original and would like some money to pay towards their holiday this summer please let know.

Pete’s Picture Palace
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:01 pm 
Post subject:

3rd June 1989

And the 2nd Division season finally came to a close.

Play-Off Final, 2nd leg

Crystal Palace v Blackburn
Result: 3-0 a.e.t. (4-3 on aggregate)
Attendance: 30,000

Going into this game 1-3 down (but with a vital away goal), Palace needed a bit of a miracle and sure enough they got one. After an early chance spurned by Ian Miller, it was one-way traffic and from Alan Pardew's outside-of-the-right-boot cross, ("That's the part I like" said Brian Moore of LWT), Ian Wright turned home past Terry Gennoe. Early in the second half Eddie McGoldrick was felled in the box and up stepped the cool Dave Madden to convert a lovely penalty under huge pressure.

Perry Suckling was called on to deny frantic Rovers attacks as Palace now led on that crucial away goal, but extra time arrived and finally in the 118th minute Wright scored again from a McGoldrick cross to send the 30,000 into raptures.

Note that being on Saturday 3rd June I missed this game as I was a regular cricketer playing league cricket and I didn't want to lose my place!
I got a duck, took 0-32 with my devious leg-breaks, and we drew. Waste of time, that was!

2 photos and then the programme:-

1st one shows the superb Dave Madden in action (right), probably the most under-rated player in our history - hard tackler, accurate passer, deadly from 12 yards. Knees like tissue. Career over at 28 with a pathetic 78 league games under his belt. Tragic.

2nd pic shows many players - Hopkins, Barber, Madden, Pemberton (2) & Bright are Palace's. Can't be sure on the 2 Rovers.

And the programme shows Ian Wright being mobbed after one of his 33 goals in that extended season:-

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:11 am 
Post subject:

This was the final match of the Australian leg of Blackpool’s 1958 tour before they moved on to Hong Kong.

It was the second game in Adelaide, but this time against South Australia.

The match was at the Norwood Oval (a different venue to the Adelaide Oval) Norwood being an inner suburb of Adelaide.

The Norwood Oval has been used for a variety of sporting and community events including baseball, soccer, rugby league and American football but its main use is for Australian rules football.

It is the home ground for the Norwood Football Club (The Redlegs) in the South Australian National Football League.

A 24 page programme produced by Soccer News was issued.

Blackpool won the match 2-0 to round off a very successful and undefeated series of matches.

sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:24 am 
Post subject:

51 years ago Today June 4th 1962

Victoria All stars v Sheffield United

sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:27 am 
Post subject:

18 years ago Today 1995

German Youth Tournament programme featuring U15 teams from various clubs including Sheffield United

2 day programme covering the 4th and 5th June

Only Mark Camm from the United squad made it to professional ranks playing 30 odd games for Lincoln City.

bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:41 am 
Post subject:

The 8th match between Blackpool and Sheffield United on their tour of New Zealand in 1965 was played at the Caledonian Ground in Dunedin.

This was the original Caledonian Ground located in the heart of South Dunedin. In 2000 the ground was relocated to the Northern end of Logan Park in Dunedin North.

The ground's former site is now largely occupied by the car park of one of the city's main shopping centres. All that remains of the former ground is a gymnasium and a bowling club. The gymnasium is a World War II memorial.

Sheffield United were the victors on this occasion by 3 goals to nil with goals from Wagstaffe 2 and Reece 1.

A single sheet was produced (without an actual date) and would have been available with the tournament brochure. It is not known whether a full programme was also produced but I think it is unlikely.

There was a schoolboys match played as a curtain raiser to the main event, details of which are included on the programme.

sharrowblade
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:47 am 
Post subject:

Bispham, I like that a lot Smile
bisphamseasider

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:56 am 
Post subject:

I just wish I had a few more of the single sheets sharrow.
pastpirate
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:31 pm 
Post subject:

Norway v Wales, 5-June-1985. Rovers player Neil Slatter was in the welsh side.

www.bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com The definitive list of Bristol Rovers programmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Wants List
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> A programme from this day in history All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: