Football Programmes Centre

The Right Price is?
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Right Price is?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Football Programmes You Require
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ToffeeDan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:04 pm 
Post subject: The Right Price is?

OK we've been debating some bargains, some outrageous prices for a readily available item and so on but we don't seem to ever debate or agree what's the "going rate" for a typical, readily available item. So I thought I'd open up the debate in this fashion.

If we simply ignore the rarest, hen's teeth programmes - we all know which one's those are for our respective collections (whether owned or desired)...and probably if it's against Man U where demand may increase...but you get the idea.

What is your estimation of the TYPICAL right price for (mine is stated - disagree or otherwise) - of course you might strike it lucky (ebay etc.) and pick it up for a bit less:

League/Cup games
1970s-present day - no more than £1-1.50 - a bit more sometimes if a recent items are available and the face price is higher.
1960s £1.50 is about right - some up to £2.50
late 1950s £2.50-4
early 1950s £5-9
1940s £9-15 typically

Now the less common stuff:
Youth Cup
1970-present day £1-2
1960s £3-8
1950s £10-15 some a bit more

Reserves
All post 70: £1-2
60s £2-3
50s £5-10

Minor Games played (say - for Everton - Liverpool Senior Cup, Lancs Senior Cup)

Harder to estimate but akin to the Reserve figures?

- or ...Anything else you care to discuss
Geddon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:19 pm 
Post subject:

I think your prices are generally fine, obviously with the rarer items against the bigger teams, or single sheets etc. going for a lot more.

Our 60/61 programmes are a pain to get hold of, because for most of the season we printed an A6 size programme. Most of them go for £25 at least, with some of the rarer ones on ebay recently fetching £50 (Sunderland, Pompey) and Leeds can go for anything up to £100.
Barrett
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:37 pm 
Post subject:

I'd say the prices quoted by this site are generally fine by me:

http://www.footballprogrammecentre.co.uk/football-programme-prices.php
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:46 pm 
Post subject: pricing

It's very subjective - personally, I don't touch anything post 1970 as I think they're virtually worthless, unless they're of a sufficiently rare nature. That's easy for me to say though as I don't have a club collection. Looking at prices raised at auction though, my assertion would seem to be correct as they very rarely make anything. The same also applies to 1960's programmes to a lesser extent, barring the odd seasons such as Leeds pre 1963, Spurs 60-1 (but not like they used to be) Swansea 60-1 as Geddon said, Posh 60-1, Accrington 61-2, Bradford 69-70, Chelsea 62-3 (2nd division) 1960-1 League Cup.
1950's - again, they need to be from the more collectable teams, or the more provincial ones. Smaller teams like Rochdale, Crewe, and others often outprice the bigger clubs. My old club, Grimsby are very collectable for their pre 56 programmes, the "Orange Mariner" one of the very best 1950's issues. The reason for their collectability is down in no sall measure to having had the best programme shop in the country in the late 1980's / early 90's when many new collectors came on board. I set up the shop in the 86-7 season, and for 5 years it was a veritable treasure trove.
Scottish 1960's programmes are a different kettle of fish, with some clubs still going for amazing money from the 1960's. Dundee 61-2, Dundee United homes 60-1 to 64-5, Celtic 66-7 and beforehand, Kilmarnock 64-5, any Stenhousemuir, etc. etc.
Scottish 1950's can still break the bank in certain cases.
1940's always carry a premium price, but some of them are still very easy to get hold of, and soe of the, Fulham, Brentford, Charlton, even Chelsea, are very difficult to get more than a fiver for.
The scarcity of the programme usually determines the premiu prices, and that's why the sall local cup ties, friendlies etc when small crowds would abound and therefore smaller programme print runs were the order of the day. Result - scarcity.
Wullie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:13 pm 
Post subject:

It all depends on the club.
I would say . Sunderland, Leeds.

wartime to late 40s: £40 to £150
49/50 to 54/55 : £25 to £50

Newcastle, Liverpool, Everton.

wartime to late 40s £25 to £50
49/50 to 54/55 £ £10 to £30

Arsenal , Chelsea , Fulham.
wartime to late 40s £10 to £30
49/50 to 54/55 £5 to £10

(people might like to add their own club in one of the three categories )
After that i would say prices level off, around the same for each club.
Of course that's very general. A 47/48 Sunderland V Man.Utd sold last month for £2500
gurulion

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:43 pm 
Post subject:

Auckinleckian,

No programme of the 40s is as rare as the number of "m"s in your messages.

Yesterday, I did the kind of double take James Finlayson would have been proud of as your headline screamed: "Cardiff Hoes". Now, I wasn't sure whether the good ladies of that fair city had upset you. Or if you had packed in selling programmes and had gone in for something a little more exotic.

But looking at your latest posting it looks as though you need a new keyboard. It appears to be behaving like my old Imperial.
Lord Doggett

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:53 am 
Post subject:

Hello,

With Watford expect to pay the following prices.....

Late 40's anything between £50 and £20
50-55 around £20-£10 (although there are rarities which cost more)
55-57 around a fiver
Late fifties between £2-4
60's most for a quid
70's, 80's and 90's most, but not all, can be got for 50p each especially from Bobs and Football site.

I don't think I paid much more than a tenner for any one of my home collection, the majority I picked up between 50p and a £1, and there are no real impossible to finds between 57 and now, when I restarted collecting I picked them all up within 18 months for that period.

Now Away games are a different matter....
Auchinleckian
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:24 am 
Post subject: m

Gurulion - the "m" on the keyboard is very dodgy, and is, unfortunately, soething over which I have no control.
ToffeeDan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:15 am 
Post subject: Re: m

Auchinleckian wrote:
Gurulion - the "m" on the keyboard is very dodgy, and is, unfortunately, soething over which I have no control.

Mate - maybe you might meander down to the mall and measure up for a new one!
ForestMick

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:17 am 
Post subject:

Maybe we should add a keyboard swap section to the forum?!!
ToffeeDan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:19 am 
Post subject:

ForestMick wrote:
Maybe we should add a keyboard swap section to the forum?!!

You wouldn't be taking the Ick would you?
ForestMick

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:29 am 
Post subject:

aybe!!
kenred

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:14 pm 
Post subject: Sven the Magpie

Cool Sven says he is interested in anything County,Meadow Lane that is ,not Pride Park .Sorry Forest Mick no offence intended ,but couldnt resist it.
Still I think Forest have more potential ,although I have always had a soft spot for the County ,maybe because I liked their 50s Programmes :
Let the Trent Battle commence!
ToffeeDan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:28 am 
Post subject:

SGE - cultivated an image of achievement.. never lived up to it.

Don't expect miracles - but then again any half-decent top level coach could drag a team out of the depths with some added talent - at that level it will all the difference and they haven't hired him to work with donkeys for ever have they?

Expect them to get successive promotions (or maybe in 3 seasons) - then they could easily stall and it go all wrong - but all teams can dream of the big time can't they and it's been a while since Notts County have been on the big stage.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Football Programmes You Require All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: