Football Programmes Centre

Woodford United
AlbumAlbum   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   My Wants ListMy Wants List   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Woodford United

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:06 am 
Post subject: Woodford United

Southern Lge Division One

this season, played 42 lost 42.....goal difference -164

http://www.nonleaguematters.co.uk/divisions/8/

Must be a story there - what happened to them? At least the fans stayed the course. 84 there for their last home game of the season.

I vaguely recollect Bobby Moore having something to do with the club probably 30 years ago.
Maidonian

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:28 am 
Post subject:

The geographical restructuring of non-league football has ruined some clubs - this was posted on the non-league matters site by an Ashford Town (Middlesex) supporter:

It isn't easy when you become an outpost club in a high-up division, sometimes with no choice in the matter. When we were first shunted into The Southern League, our average round trip for a League fixture was 196 miles, our third nearest League team was Oxford City, 51 miles away. and the furthest, Taunton Town, involved a 310-mile round trip. It nearly crippled the club and all because the stuffed shirts at the FA or wherever decided our fate for us.

who also wrote about Woodford United

When they came to Ashford last season, I was still an official of the club and I seem to recall only a couple of their officers travelling down. They were personable chaps and did remark that, as a club, they found themselves more and more isolated geographically in Division One Central and that the costs involved in travelling were proving increasingly difficult to meet

And when you have Bishop's Stortford and Oxford City playing in Conference North at Step 2 you can see the extent of the problems faced.
Wulfrunian

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:25 pm 
Post subject:

Heard something about this on talk-sport today. there was some problem with the players so the chairman got rid of most of them and the youth team has played for most of the season. Also he felt that by getting relegated they would be playing in a more localised league which would be more beneficial to the finances of the club.

"You only have one life, I gave mine to the Wolves" - Stan Cullis 1916 - 2001
derby1884
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:43 pm 
Post subject:

Thanks for the background to this.

What county are they in? Essex?
grantham

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:10 pm 
Post subject:

Northamptonshire I think !?!
addicks

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:03 am 
Post subject:

Woodford are based in London but have played in Essex leagues.

One old boy of note, Paul Williams, who Charlton bought from Woodford for £10k and sold him to Sheff Wed for £600k.
Eddie Reeve

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:27 am 
Post subject: Woodford

Woodford United are based in Woodford Halse, Northamptonshire. The old Woodford Town were in Essex but I think folded several years ago
martino

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:58 pm 
Post subject:

The "Nonleaguematters" website is essential for anyone who is interested in the grass roots of the game.

I started looking at it recently following a recommendation from this forum, mainly to try and get a grip on how the promotion / relegation works across so many geographic leagues. There is planned restructuring at the end of this season / some teams want to move leagues / some want out etc etc so it is a minefield.

Reading the posts on their forum brought home to me that there are some real anoraks who contribute to that website which is good to see as the game needs them. As stated above it is amazing how some Clubs survive give that their attendances are in the tens.

In a perfect world money would filter down the pyramid to support these Clubs but, as we all know, the clubs / players at the top get richer and the rest fight for survival,.
| More
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Football Programme Forum Index -> Anything Goes Chit Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: